Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Reasons to Vote No to Lisbon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Sinn Fein make me laugh. Last year they were going into the general election saying they wanted to increase corporation tax. Now they're campaigning against the Treaty because the Treaty "could increase our taxes". You would think they would be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ganley on RTE now. Full of "old quotes" and the usual level of mistruths based on the same old misguided premises. Considering how upset some are with potential bullying, his lecturing on how to "read the treaty properly" and the "appropriate interpretation" leaves an awful lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Which, as was pointed out, is not as cut and dried as you seem to think. All the commission has to do is consider it. Such consideration could easily be equivalent to a quick glance on the way to throwing it into the bin.

I understand its not as cut and dry as I think it is, but it was still a positive statement :D.

I guess it depends how we percieve the Commission, I dont see them as the group who would simply discard such inititives without at least a response as to why, and you might see different, neither of us can really prove at this point which of us is right cause its merely a matter of opinion at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Which, as was pointed out, is not as cut and dried as you seem to think. All the commission has to do is consider it. Such consideration could easily be equivalent to a quick glance on the way to throwing it into the bin.

I've pointed it out elsewhere, that we don't think much of a 'petition' because we don't have any formal petition mechanism in our Constitution. Quite a lot of other EU states do, however, and I rather suspect this was written with their expectations in mind, not ours.

It was also, as an aside, written into the Treaty on foot of a petition to have such a mechanism, which was signed by a fair bit over a million people - it was regarded as something of a triumph. If Ireland returns a No, of course, it will be in the ironic position of being voted down by rather less people than actually signed it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement