Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alzheimers / Vascular Dementia

Options
  • 07-06-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Just a question for anyone who has anyone who suffers from Alzheimers or dementia.

Both of my grandparents Mums side are in a nursing home. My Grandpa for 10 years and my Nana for 3. He was diagnosed with vascular dementia (a type of dementia caused by problems with the supply of blood to the brain). Now there's a huge difference between the 2, my Grandpa can't talk but he gurgles words and can't talk/walk/ do anything by himself whereas she just has alzheimers (can walk a bit etc).

I'm just wondering if anyone has an experience of this... there's this weird thing that my Grandpa does. He does, what can only be described really as, goes to pick something from the air and puts it in his mouth. Now there is nothing there..apparently the nursing home have not seen anyone else do it.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before? I know that the patient can suffer from hallucinations but it's weird!

Advertisement