Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish for the barbie

• 07-06-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

hi,am starting up the barbie tomorrow i hope!!
    does anyone know if it's safe to barbeque dublin bay prawns in the shell? i love barbequed fish, got the sea bass, salmon steaks and assorted fish for the skewer but i've never tried prawns before.....hope i don't have to remove the shells pre cooking

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't know how the shell would re-act to the direct heat. I would try shelling them and skewering them with a lemon grass stalk. Try one on first and you'll soon know. Let me know how you get on & good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They'll cook fine shell-on, just don't do them on the hottest part of the barbecue, so see if you can cook them when the coals have cooled a little and do them on a higher shelf if possible.

The best thing about being shell-on is that you can dust them with spices - over the shell - and those spices will flavour the prawns as your eaters are shelling them. Minder has a mix for salt and pepper prawns - I think it's equal parts szechuan pepper, white pepper and sea salt, though you might want to do a bit of a search to find it - and they're really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

sorry for the delay! didnt get to fire her up last weekend:mad: will let ye know... still undecided lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

I think its defo best to cook them with the shell on... seems to concentrate the flavour of the prawns more than when peeled... plus i always like to get as much tasts goodness out of the shell... legs... brainz etc :)

Advertisement