Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nervous and doing my test on friday

Options
  • 07-06-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Im doing my test in tallaght on friday. I failed it in November but in fairness I really didnt deserve to pass as I wasnt really driving very long. Thanks to the recommendations from the guys here Ive been taking lessons from Tony and he is brilliant. However, today he asked me had I ever taken lessons before and this has really unnerved me as Ive taken 19 already!!!!!!!

Im not a bad driver but extremely nervous in these circumstances- I tend to cut out when taking off for my lesson as I did when I sat my test (tester in fonthill asked me to drive out the entrance which really added to my nerves) and I tend to be heavier footed on the pedals than normal...

My question is, are there any way to beat these nerves? I quite enjoy driving on my own and drive a lot more competently. Other than more driving practice does anyone have any practical advice?

All suggestons hugely appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey, i think everyone gets nervous coming up to and during their driving test and i can relate to what you're saying about driving differently under pressure. The best advise i have is just to do plenty of pretests, that way you'll get used to test conditions.
    You've been through the driving test before so you'll know what to expect which should calm you a bit. I know it's an easy thing to say but you just have to go for it, put yourself "in the zone" and don't let the examiner change the way you drive! I hope this helps, i'm sure some of the regulars will be along with some advise soon enough!

Alan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When I done my test and anytime the tester said "in your own time" I just sat there, relaxed myself, took a deep breath and continued on and it worked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

ive had my mam teach me the basics. then i had a guy do 4 lessons with me and then he never returned my calls, then i got a fab instructor and did 10 with him and 1 pre test, and the failed a test by like 4 marks, then i had 1 pre test with a guy that i think has dissappeared off the face of the earth and now iv 3 pre tests booked with a guy from ism.

i dont want to add that up but i think who cares how many lessons u have, in the end it will make you a better driver! tbh i no i can drive well, the circumstances surrounding my first test was just bad, as was the timing! my new test in a sgs centre is on thrus and if i pass i pass, it not so be it! i hopw i do tho...ive been reversing arround corners all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I had a pre-test lesson an hour before my test in which my instructor acted exactly like the examiner. I found it really helped me focus myself and my nerves weren't quite as bad.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Martly

Definitly do a lesson before your test, it loosens u up and prepares you well. I passed 2nd time around last week. I had an hours lesson before hand then went and relaxed with a magazine in a coffee shop the half hour before the test. I was still nervous but because i had been "winding down" I think it helped a lot. No shaky legs etc..Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragment :) Was feeling relaxed about the whole thing but the comments from today have kinda knocked me a little. I have another lesson on wednesday and will arrange one for before the test on friday. Managed to reverse into my parking space today so I am getting there.

Best of luck Nools! Where you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I wouldnt take him asking if you have had lessons before as a bad thing. They ask everyone.

It could be a positive thing, he might be surprised at how you are doing etc.

Just keep your chin up.. Its not that hard, they just want to make sure you're safe, so go out and show them you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

baldoyle, which i no has a higher pass rate, so im not nervous, im not the kind to get nervous if u get me, but knowing what a test is like helps i think!!

I wouldnt take him asking if you have had lessons before as a bad thing. They ask everyone.

It could be a positive thing, he might be surprised at how you are doing etc.

!

Im not sure about that, I asked him about it at the end of the lesson and when I told him how many I had taken he responded they must have been the wrong type!!! Guess I got to put it all into perspective, Im hardly going to drive well when Im in a tizz. Hopefully im getting it out of my system before friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just calm yourself and remember that it's just a drive. I'd also suggest getting a pretest lesson before the test. My instructor took me out for 2 hours beforehand so by the time I did the test it was just another drive. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks Janey. My lesson is on at 11am so might just get an hour lesson in, if not I'll just do lots of practice. I will get really familiar with the tallaght area too. Have stocked up on rescue remedy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ya as long as you're just really familiar with the area you should be grand. I failed my first one and I think part of the reason was I had no idea where I was. (I was very unprepared so failing was completely my fault!)

The hour beforehand will really help, because you can correct any last minute mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I good trick if you are prone to cutting out when nervous is to try moving the seat back a bit...your foot is more stretched to the pedals and it gives you a lighter touch. I can really transform your footwork instantly.

Take a lesson before the test defo, really calms the nerves. Make sure your theory stuff is good so you get off to a good start, and know all your under the bonnet stuff.

When your have to drive, just pretend your driving your friends around. Dont worry about what the tester is writing down. Relax and remember being nervous is natural and can help you preform better as it helps you concentrate.

Best of Luck and safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

When your have to drive, just pretend your driving your friends around. Dont worry about what the tester is writing down. Relax and remember being nervous is natural and can help you preform better as it helps you concentrate.

Well said, that's some great advise. Like i always say on this forum, you just have to go for it.

Good Luck OP

I good trick if you are prone to cutting out when nervous is to try moving the seat back a bit...your foot is more stretched to the pedals and it gives you a lighter touch. I can really transform your footwork instantly.

Hey, thanks for the advice:) I actually tried this at the weekend and it has worked a treat!!! Since I started driving Ive been almost perched on top of the wheel!!!!

Just need to get the knack of reversing around corners and I'll be sorted!!!

Advertisement