Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from UK - VRT Question

Options
  • 07-06-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am thinking of importing a BMW 3 Series Coupe from the UK. If i import the car in june the VRT will be 30% but if i wait til july the VRT will be 20%. If i bring the car in next weekend can i wait til july to register the car and pay the VRT at 20% rather than 30% or would i be better of to wait til july to bring in the car? Anyone know what happens in this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

You can do it.

But, you run the risk of it being taken off you. If you can get it and garage it or something, fine. If you are going to drive it around, it's risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your supposed to pay VRT on the next working day after you bring the car in, and there have been several threads here of cars being lifted by customs.

If you bring it in now and leave it parked up you should get away with it, but it can still be taken from your drive/garage, but if you drive and get caught then tuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Thanks for that Lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I'm considering doing the exact same thing! Can anybody tell me exactly how the VRT rate will change if I bought a 00 323ci prior to / after july? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

2000 323Ci Emissions:

CO2 Emissions 239 g/km (source: www.Parkers.co.uk)

That makes it fall into VRT bracket:

Band G (>225 grams per km) - 36%

You are better off clearing it before July 1st, it's 30% up till then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement