Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaners leaving a film of crap on the car

Options
  • 07-06-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering if anyone knows of any car wash stuff which doesn't leave a film on the car. At the moment im using Autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner and even though I use practically none of it it the water and rinse the car down afterwords it leaves so many water marks that it's not funny
    Even polishing the car makes no impression on the watermarks. Nearly all cleaners (definitely all i've ever used) have something extra in them

So could anyone recommend some stuff that I could pick up in halfords that does nothing but was the car, im seriously considering going back to just using water.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I once had to wash a car with just water and got the same water marks. It's from the dust in the water that it comes from. Splash some onto your kitchen window and let it dry and see, if you don't believe me!
    The detergent you're using doesn't make a difference. I was blaming that before, but after power washing the car for ages afterwards it doesn't matter. Get a good polish, and a good glass cleaner and you're winning. Keep polishing every 3 weeks or so. I find Autoglym stuff to be the best, but Turtlewax have some good products too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

What are you drying the car with or are you drying it at all?

I would suggest picking up a couple of waffleweave drying towels and some quick detailer. Use one of the towels to remove most of the water then spray a mist of quick detailer over a panel at a time and wipe off with the other towel.
    Doing this will not leave any water marks and leave a nice gloss on the paint.

Try to avoid washing your car in direct sunlight as this drys the standing water too quickly and leaves marks.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

In this weather, I usually wash the car in the evenings just before the sun goes down and the car paint is cool to the touch. Perfect!!

I use Zip wash and wax, works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Neilw wrote: »
    What are you drying the car with or are you drying it at all?

I would suggest picking up a couple of waffleweave drying towels and some quick detailer. Use one of the towels to remove most of the water then spray a mist of quick detailer over a panel at a time and wipe off with the other towel.
    Doing this will not leave any water marks and leave a nice gloss on the paint.

Try to avoid washing your car in direct sunlight as this drys the standing water too quickly and leaves marks.

Neil.

This will sort out your problem. Getting rid of existing water marks will require some kind of lightly abrasive polish. I'd recommend Dodo Juice Lime Prime. Will get rid of the marks and leave a nice glossy finish to apply wax on to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Biro wrote: »
    I once had to wash a car with just water and got the same water marks. It's from the dust in the water that it comes from. Splash some onto your kitchen window and let it dry and see, if you don't believe me!
    The detergent you're using doesn't make a difference. I was blaming that before, but after power washing the car for ages afterwards it doesn't matter. Get a good polish, and a good glass cleaner and you're winning. Keep polishing every 3 weeks or so. I find Autoglym stuff to be the best, but Turtlewax have some good products too.
    Nothing to do with "dust" in the water, it's the various different minerals dissolved in the water that remain on your car when the water evaporates. Ask any junior cert.
    If your water is very hard then you are really going to have problems. Try going somewhere with very soft water.
    If not you could spend a fortune on distilled water to rinse it off, or just squeegee off as much as possible before drying with soft cloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

wil wrote: »
    Nothing to do with "dust" in the water, it's the various different minerals dissolved in the water that remain on your car when the water evaporates. Ask any junior cert.

I know, but that's hardly the point. Residue, dust, shyte, it's all the one when it comes to this particular post. It's unwanted particles. No need to get scientific, Junior Cert or not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use a brillo pad to scrape off the water marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

kbannon wrote: »
    use A Brillo Pad To Scrape Off The Water Marks!
    :d:d

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

kbannon wrote: »
    Use a brillo pad to scrape off the water marks!

Or don't....

13.jpg

Taken from here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Joking aside, a colleague of mine used a brillo pad to remove some dirt off her bonnet. It wasn't her smartest decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Isn't this the exact reason why car detailers (As seen on.. http://detailingworld.co.uk ) use de-ionised/distilled water to rinse off cars they are working on?:cool:

Unfortunetly it's just something you have to live with, the dirty water we drink. Of course unless you used some quick detailering sprays and wiped off panel at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Isn't this the exact reason why car detailers (As seen on.. http://detailingworld.co.uk ) use de-ionised/distilled water to rinse off cars they are working on?:cool:
    Water from a condenser tumble dryer would be just the job then.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi you could try one of these filters:

Aqua Gleam

Was thinking of one myself. Not sure how effective they would be though. I did a bit of reading up & they get mixed reviews. There are more complex (& more expensive) systems available, from what I have read any decent valet company will have some sort of water filtration system installed.

At the moment & use the Autoglym Aqua Wax spray straight after washing. No water marks.

Advertisement