Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History.

Options
  • 07-06-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Any ideas what's likely to come up?

I'm study Newgrange etc for the Irish section anyway. Seems to come up every second year.

Eh. I don't know really...anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PuddinBum

In european theres always some way to fit Dali and Picasso in. Also DaVinci looks like a god bet. As for Irish I would say metalwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One of the ninja turtles is always up. Newgrange is one of those near-constants, but go ahead and study brass jewelery and that too (its easier than Newgrange just get the sketches down)

European though I liked to ignore the rennaiscance and focus on Impressionism... cos I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah impressionism is deadly. I'm gonna concentrate on that for European, bit of Renaissance, (Michelangelo would be handy), little on more modern things like Surrealism and Expressionism/Post Impressionism.
    Then for Irish I'm concentrating on Newgrange, and Georgian Architecture, I'll glance at High Crosses maybe, and learn JB Yeats/Louis le Brocquy/Ann Madden etc.

Hopefully that'll be enough! If nothing I know comes up, I'll ramble incoherently about whatever paintings come with the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I am doing:

Irish:
    Newgrange
    Stone age, Iron age (La Tene culture and Bronze age)
    Georgian Architecture

European:
    Impressionism (love Degas and Renoir)
    Post-Impression (Cezanne and Van Gogh)

Appreciation:
    Exhibit/Gallery

Have there been any movies out lately that might be mentioned in Appreciation? I can only think of something like Transformers where light and graphics were important. Anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dranahs89

My Mother will be holding a PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE ART HISTORY ONE DAY REVISION COURSE ON WEDNESDAY THE 11TH OF JUNE, P.M ME FOR MORE DETAILS,IN MEATH AREA

EVERYTHING WIL BE COVERED IN A DAY,THUS,PREPARING YOU FOR THE "A". GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY,DUNNO BOUT YOU ALL,BUT IM PREPARED....FOR ART HISTORY ANYWAYS LOL..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

dranahs89 wrote: »
    My Mother will be holding a PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE ART HISTORY ONE DAY REVISION COURSE ON WEDNESDAY THE 11TH OF JUNE, P.M ME FOR MORE DETAILS,IN MEATH AREA

EVERYTHING WIL BE COVERED IN A DAY,THUS,PREPARING YOU FOR THE "A". GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY,DUNNO BOUT YOU ALL,BUT IM PREPARED....FOR ART HISTORY ANYWAYS LOL..

eh thx?

Did anyone go to the lectures organised by the national art gallery? They gave out a sheet on the gallery question and i've lost it:(
    if anyone cud scan it i'd be sooo grateful!!!

And my predictions are
    Crosses + Newgrange
    Romanesque and gothic stained class is due, but then again so are the architecture
    And of course a gallery
    Ensure you can name a exhibition, not gallery, an exhibition you went to and discuss it's layout and name discuss 2 paintings by the painter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

i studied newgrange, bronze and iron ages. and i plan to study high crosses (tho i hate them with a bloody passion) today

for european i studied giotto, the quatrrocento, jan van eyck and i guess ill have to study romanesque and gothic architechture(tho again, i hate them with a passion)

and im studyin jack b yeats exhibition and high cross exhibition for the appreciation section...

if i dont study high crosses and gothic/romanesque architechture...dya tink id be grand? cas i heard newgrange is due this year and so is the quattrocento...

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

if i dont study high crosses and gothic/romanesque architechture...dya tink id be grand? cas i heard newgrange is due this year and so is the quattrocento...

thanks

well to be honest they're relatively easy so i'd say give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Woohoo! Newgrange, I like that. It makes me want to do that over La Tene and Georgian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

was wondering.
    are those less stress more success books any good?

cas im studyin high crosses right now, and in my less stress book it says the crosses at aheeny co tipperary have abstact design and no figurative or biblical decoration. but in my art book for school, it says the north cross has a funeral scene on the west face with a monk carrying cross, and the south cross has scenes such as adam and eve, daniel and the lion's den and some animal decoration....?

which book do i trust?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nisey89

newgrange and id say lern a film as well as a gallery just in case it doesn't come up because its bound to happen sometime because everyone is doing the exhibitiom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭blue_belle

come on newgrange! i NEED this to come up. yeah it looks like a every second year pattern.

and im focusing on impressionism, botticelli and van eyck for european. but alot of the time you need to know another artist from that period for these questions. so i'd look mover the time lines and different periods.

and thenthe exhibition comes up everyyear, its a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

not to burst anyones bubble cuz i'm hoping for newgrange too but i think ye should note that newgrange has come up every two yrs except for 1998! this being 2008 they could try to play a nasty ten yr skip trick..i'm doubtful of it but just to be warned..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

was wondering.
    are those less stress more success books any good?

It's only ok in my opinion.

Advertisement