Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 current accounts

• 07-06-2008 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out here before I start touring the banks?

I have an AIB Current account. I use this for all my day to day banking. Money paid into it, money spent from it! ATM/Laser/etc.

I have an Ulster Bank Current account. I use this for all my Standing Orders and Direct Debits. Nice to keep them all separate. Phone bills / loans / etc.

So, I'd like it get a second AIB account because the Ulster bank new code readers and card readers are simply pissing me off.

Can I get a second AIB Current Account that I can use like the Ulster Bank one above?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes you can, i think when you have 2 accounts with the same bank, (can be different branches) if one is in debit they can use the another one i credit to fund it. But shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This would have to be a current account though?

I'm looking at the AIB website and I can't see any other accounts that would work out. I got an Online Savings Account but you can't do DD and SO from this.

My branch is in town and I don't live in town. Would I have to go into the branch to setup an account?

If I setup another account in a separate branch will it show up in the same online banking account?

Is a bank account setup on the spot or does it take a few days to open once it's signed up for?

Would I be charged for all the SO and DD and also the transfers between accounts online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

random wrote: »
    My branch is in town and I don't live in town. Would I have to go into the branch to setup an account?
    No i think any branch would do.
    If I setup another account in a separate branch will it show up in the same online banking account?
    Yes
    Is a bank account setup on the spot or does it take a few days to open once it's signed up for?
    I think its on the spot in Aib when you do it in the branch with the correct details. think a small lodgement is also required.
    Would I be charged for all the SO and DD and also the transfers between accounts online?
    No, once you have satisfied the conditions of free banking using the debit card and Internet banking. You will end up paying two gov duties for the pleasure of two accounts.

Also if one account is in debt and the interest is due for the other, you will pay 1% per annum on any debit balance set off against any credit balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

davton wrote: »
    Yes you can, i think when you have 2 accounts with the same bank, (can be different branches) if one is in debit they can use the another one i credit to fund it. But shouldn't be a problem.

This would have to be agreed with you first. They will bounce a chq on you regardless of the amount in the other account. There is options to make sure there is a min balance in the account but it does not work well if your running your account balance too close to the min balance.

+1 on Davtons last post.

Advertisement