Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 and Linux

• 07-06-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

What is the best for it.
    Is it worth while?

Short and sweet as I don't have a clue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Try Yellow Dog Linux. It works well on the PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Out of curiosity, what's the point of putting Linux on a PS3? I don't have a PS3, but just curious as to the benefits of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

dulpit wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the point of putting Linux on a PS3? I don't have a PS3, but just curious as to the benefits of it..

It'd make it a fully functional high spec PC, perfect for a bit of number crunching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

before the ps3 could play divx natively i used it for vlc.

but considering the lame formatting tool on the ps3 meant that you could only have a 10gig linux partition and the rest for game installs and saves it was pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

10Gb linux partion is loads, why would u need more than 10Gb? Use a usb external hd for storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's a moot point, i want more than 10 gigs because i've got 320gig hard drive in my ps3.

i shouldn't have to go and buy an external drive because of a piss poor formatting utility.

Ah, well that changes things a little, does it bother the OP tho? 10Gb might be perfect for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ah, well that changes things a little, does it bother the OP tho? 10Gb might be perfect for him

I only have the 40gig drive so 1/4 my space is loads and I was going to pick up an external for music/movies

I know that there is a block to the graphics card but will it play my (very old) PC games?
    DVD drive in laptop is dead

I know that there is a block to the graphics card but will it play my (very old) PC games?
    DVD drive in laptop is dead

Not natively, but they might run under Wine, check the Wine application database, You'll be suprised which ones do. Only way to find out is to try. I've no idea if it'll play any games under Yellow dog at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

dulpit wrote: »
    It's a well-priced supercomputer. Seems to be a fairly big area at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've read a few things that say the performance isn't great. You only have access to one processor and don't have stuff like High Def support for watching DivX. There was a thread on slashdot about it recently.

edit: here's the link http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/06/0115219

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not natively, but they might run under Wine, check the Wine application database, You'll be suprised which ones do. Only way to find out is to try. I've no idea if it'll play any games under Yellow dog at all

Not a chance unfortunately, non x86 architectures will probably never run programs under WINE.
    Aside from the novelty factor, I really don't think a Cell powered PS3 makes a good general purpose Linux box, unless you require parallelism.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cmo

http://en.opensuse.org/Playstation also might be worth a look

Advertisement