Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling US Toll Free numbers from Irish Mobiles?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Does anybody know how to call US toll free numbers (1800 123 4567) from Irish mobiles, while in the US? As I've a calling card which you need to dial the toll free number to get access to it before making calls and I don't know what prefix to put before the toll free number. Tried searching google for it but couldn't find the information I was looking for.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

If you're roaming in the US then you're on a US network, so no prefix required.

Just a word of warning though, calling cards are designed to be used from fixed lines. You'll incur more charges from a mobile (it may even be cheaper just directly dialling from a mobile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Eccentric

amtc wrote: »
    If you're roaming in the US then you're on a US network, so no prefix required.

Just a word of warning though, calling cards are designed to be used from fixed lines. You'll incur more charges from a mobile (it may even be cheaper just directly dialling from a mobile)
    Alright thanks, I tried calling from my mobile as it's currently roaming using T-Mobile's network but it just gets an engaged ringtone all the time. I'll just continue to use the landline to make the calls I suppose. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

US mobiles don't distinguish between 1-800 numbers and other numbers. Nor will the 1-800 number distinguish between the phone that you're calling from and a landline. They don't have the same arrangements as we do in Europe where mobiles cost more to call than landlines.

Just bare in mind you WILL be charged at normal US roaming rates for calling the 1-800 number.

You usually dial numbers on a US mobile without the long distance prefix i.e. you omit the 1-

E.g. just dial 800 555 5555, rather than 1-800 555 5555

Same if you're calling say a New York City Number (212) 555 5555, you don't need to dial the 1-

both should work though!

You will be charged at FULL roaming rates for calling any US number at whatever the rate your phone company + the US company you are roming on charges.

I'd suggest you call the 800 number from a payphone, you'll need to deposit 25¢ to make a freephone call though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Eccentric

Thanks, I bought an American mobile and it's much cheaper to use that (along with a calling card) to call Irish mobiles/landlines. Also, don't have to go out and use public phones where the line is really bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

If you make the call from same country than you don’t have to use additional prefixes. just dial number normally as you dial in general.

• Advertisement
Advertisement