Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

what our european masters didnt want you to see

• 07-06-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JJlI9swbsA

its good to see that there are some meps who will stand up for the people of europes rights to have a say on this reformed constitution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

The Treaty was ratified in the parliments of the EU member states. It was ratified by politicans elected on behalf of their citizens to make decisions and make laws on their behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

eoin2nc wrote: »
    The Treaty was ratified in the parliments of the EU member states. It was ratified by politicians elected on behalf of their citizens to make decisions and make laws on their behalf.

The parliament of a country is only elected to run the country under the powers granted to it by the constitution of that country. They do not have the power the change the constitution or to reduce the power of the constitution. The only people to have the power to amend the constitution are the citizens of the country by means of a referendum.

The main reason why most EU countries did not hold a referendum for the Lisbon Treaty is because they knew that the referendum would probably fail and that this would upset the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

eoin2nc wrote: »
    The Treaty was ratified in the parliments of the EU member states. It was ratified by politicans elected on behalf of their citizens to make decisions and make laws on their behalf.

I'd rather have a referendum! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

draffodx wrote: »
    I'd rather have a referendum! :D

So do I, but you cant say that European paople dont have a say or that its undemocratic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

jahalpin wrote: »
    The parliament of a country is only elected to run the country under the powers granted to it by the constitution of that country. They do not have the power the change the constitution or to reduce the power of the constitution. The only people to have the power to amend the constitution are the citizens of the country by means of a referendum.

The main reason why most EU countries did not hold a referendum for the Lisbon Treaty is because they knew that the referendum would probably fail and that this would upset the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

while i would tend to agree, a lot of "no" voting across europe would be down to a complete lack of understanding, and fear mongering. this idea of creating the new USSR is a good scare tactic, for example.

if there was a referendum, and everyone voted no, they may look into things. but a lot of "no" voting that isn't ignorance, would be people who just want to protest rather then vote on the issues themselves.

i'm delighted ireland gets to vote, but if we vote no we can't really think europe will re-negotiate. all they'll do is try to re-educate us and try again. nothing new will come of voting no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'm delighted ireland gets to vote, but if we vote no we can't really think europe will re-negotiate. all they'll do is try to re-educate us and try again. nothing new will come of voting no.

I read an article that in a meeting about the status of the lisbon treaty that they are already discussing the concessions to give Ireland if a no vote is passed, how true that is I'm unsure but I'm still voting no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It can't be all bad, the Soviet national anthem was pretty good. :pac:

Advertisement