Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you fill in a cheque with a pencil?

• 07-06-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭

Is it legal tender if written in pencil?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Nope as it can easily altered.. Also a while back when cheques were the most common of payment for large sums, you were supposed to write them in either black or blue pen as anything else wasnt always going to be accepted (red especially)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

There is no way of refusing a chq written in pencil. Its a really stupid thing to do but if the signature matches and there is nothing else wrong with the chq then its going to get paid.

I would assume they would try and contact the person whom wrote the chq to make sure its correct, thats if it was trying to be cashed. If they where lodging it, then it would be ran through the banks clearing process.

People should use a pen.

A lot of banks will refuse it due to the fact its too easy to alter.. Its something like a stale cheque they we ask the person to reissue it.

Ginger wrote: »
    A lot of banks will refuse it due to the fact its too easy to alter.. Its something like a stale cheque they we ask the person to reissue it.

I would be very wary if someone came to me to cash it. I would call the owner of the account and confirm its correct. If it was being lodged i would not. There is now legal onus on the banking staff to refuse it.

But yes, its a stupid thing to do.

Hell yeah! Hi can you cash this cheque for 1 million dollars.. i swearz its real!

• Advertisement

Hell yeah! Hi can you cash this cheque for 1 million dollars.. i swearz its real!

:D exactly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nope as it can easily altered.. Also a while back when cheques were the most common of payment for large sums, you were supposed to write them in either black or blue pen as anything else wasnt always going to be accepted (red especially)
    What's wrong with red?

Sherifu wrote: »
    What's wrong with red?

Its rude :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sherifu wrote: »
    What's wrong with red?

There's a few reasons...

Never write anyone's name in red ink (especially soldiers). Red ink represents the colour of death.

red ink traditionally was used to convey an insulting message - aka the teacher calling you a dope

Red ink is sometimes difficult to read. Especially for people with learning difficulties and dyslexia.

Red ink, normally, does copy as well as black ink in a copying machine.

yeah its the photocopy thing thats the usual reason tho with the progression of photocopy devices its not so much of an issue anymore

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Red ink fades after a few years afaik, far sooner than black or blue ink,
    I completed a legal document in work and had to redo it and that's the reason given.

Don't know if it's true though and it isn't realy relevant to cheques.
    I do remember when photocopiers could never handle red ink though

Advertisement