Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a bike

Options
  • 07-06-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭

i'm looking to buy a good bike, my absolute max is €500 which i think will get me a good bike.

i'm not looking for a racer or mountain bike, just a plain honest to god bike that would be comfortable doing max 10km distances at a time on it.

what would be the best bikes to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Giant FCR 3 is a nice bike. With the cyclesuperstore discount I think it comes in at slightly over 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Cremo wrote: »
    i'm looking to buy a good bike, my absolute max is €500 which i think will get me a good bike.

i'm not looking for a racer or mountain bike, just a plain honest to god bike

I dun think they sell normal bike anymore!:p.It seems to be road,mountain,or hybrid.

The giant fcr 3 gets thumbs up here alot so thats a good option.

You could always check out these bike stores online if your comfortqable with that .evancycles,chainreactioncycles,wiggle get good mentions on here.The last two sites are free shipping

This for instance looks like a good bargain if the size were correct for you
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70240.Works out at about 470 euro and that includes the 25 sterling shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that giant looks good, i'd probably be willing to stretch 60 euro :p

the only thing bothering me would be putting the bike together, i know it's probably an easy thing to do but would much prefer not having to do that as i might get something wrong as apart from fixing a puncture or resetting the chain i know absolutely nothing about the anatomy of a bike.

can you collect off cyclesuperstore and save on shipping etc, and have them make it up for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah,just call into the store in tallaght.

ahh cool, i was thinking they were kind of working out of a warehouse, coolio, i shall go there and have a look around as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You are looking for a hybrid. You are probably best off buying locally so you can try out the bike for fit, etc. but I believe Evans do set the bikes up they ship and there is no assembly required beyond sticking on the handlebars (which is trivial.) Wiggle set up like this also, CRC do not and you have to assemble.

i have another question about frame size.

i followed the guide on cyclesuperstore which said get your inside leg measurement (my case 30" or 76cm) and multiply it by .67 which gives me a frame size of 51 but they only have frames of 50 and 55.5 which would be the best? i'm guessing the 50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

sxt wrote: »
    I dun think they sell normal bike anymore!:p.It seems to be road,mountain,or hybrid....

I think a of hyrid like a modern normal bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Probably 50, yes- best take it out for a ride to make sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Cremo wrote: »
    i have another question about frame size.

i followed the guide on cyclesuperstore which said get your inside leg measurement (my case 30" or 76cm) and multiply it by .67 which gives me a frame size of 51 but they only have frames of 50 and 55.5 which would be the best? i'm guessing the 50?

that doesn't look like the right calc for a giant cremo, that calculation is for a bike with a straight top tube, when the main size issue is being able to stand over the crossbar without repturing something.

Usually there is a calc for sloping top tubes which the giants will have.

However either way giants only come in small medium and large and you will be a medium, the 50cm one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Halfords has a half price sale on Bikes at the moment!!
    Great Value to be Got!!

Advertisement