Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pot,Kettle,Black Mr Alex Ferguson

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just could have said Japp Stam after all he admitted in his book that SAF tapped him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bayern may report Man Utd over Hargreaves
    Tuesday, 22 August 2006 11:51

Bayern Munich have threatened to report Manchester United to FIFA if they do not give up their pursuit of England midfielder Owen Hargreaves.
    The German champions told the English club last week to cease all interest in the 25-year-old Hargreaves.
    'Otherwise we will turn to FIFA,' Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told the Munich-based tz newspaper on Tuesday. 'A club may only contact a player when the club holding his contract agrees to it.'
    United manager Alex Ferguson confirmed on Friday that he wanted to bring in Hargreaves, who could help fill the gap left by Roy Keane. Hargreaves himself has been quoted as saying he would like to move to United.
    The midfielder has a contract with Bayern running until 2010.

United report Real to FIFA
    Monday, 9 June 2008 18:00

Manchester United have taken the unusual step of reporting Real Madrid to FIFA for what they see as the continued courting of Cristiano Ronaldo.
    The double winners want closure on the issue, 13 days after warning the Spanish club to stay silent on the subject of the 23-year-old Portugal winger or else.
    United believe Real have failed to comply, resulting in a complaint to world football's governing body.

Ferguson denies illegal moves
    Friday, 25 August 2006 15:40

Alex Ferguson has denied making an illegal approach for Owen Hargreaves.
    Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has threatened to report Manchester United to FIFA after claiming the Red Devils made contact with Hargreaves over a potential £17million move to Old Trafford.
    Yet Ferguson rejects the accusation he has held talks with the 25-year-old.
    'I have not spoken to the boy,' said the United manager.
    'I have not ready the comments and I know nothing about it but that is not right (that United made an illegal approach).

Calderon speaks out on Ronaldo row
    10/06/2008 - 10:27:53

“”“”Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon insists Manchester United have “no evidence” that the Spanish giants have acted inappropriately in their pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo.

FIFA confirmed on Monday they had received an official request from United to investigate the matter with the English club claiming Madrid have carried out a deliberate campaign to unsettle the 23-year-old Portugal winger, currently on duty at Euro 2008.

But Calderon is adamant his club have no case to answer.

He said on Tuesday: “They don’t have any evidence because nothing has happened.

“All there is is what the papers say and rumours that the player seems to want to leave. But at the moment a move is impossible because United don’t want to sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Ferguson denies illegal moves
    Friday, 25 August 2006 15:40

Alex Ferguson has denied making an illegal approach for Owen Hargreaves.
    Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has threatened to report Manchester United to FIFA after claiming the Red Devils made contact with Hargreaves over a potential £17million move to Old Trafford.

That was in 2006.....
    United signed him in the summer of 2007

I'm sure something was going on behind the scenes with agents at that time but after Munich asked for it to stop it did.

In summer 2007 Utd had permission to talk directly to Hargreaves
    Even in 2006 Bayern were willing to sell Hargreaves but then they Lost Ballack on a free to Chelsea and Van Nistelrooy went to Madrid rather than Bayern so they decided no more players were leaving which is fair enough.
    The whole point is tapping up goes on everywhere to a certain extent but Madrid take it too far.
    You can say what you like about Ferguson but I bet nobody on these boards can show a quote where he talks about signing a player before the selling club has accepted an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ferguson is a bully, pure and simple. If something doesnt go a bullys way, he kicks up. The FA dont even have the stones to charge him for his comments about the ref after the Portsmouth game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hargreaves, Barry, Yossi, whomever. All irrelevent. The only one that matters is Ashley Cole.
    It was his transfer from Arsenal to Chelsea that resulted in the ONLY fine (that I am aware of) dished out to any PL club for tapping up a player. Saying that anyother player in the past was tapped up based on hearsay and "comments" is completely farcicle.
    The only one we can be sure of as it was decided by a court, hence all the facts came out, was the Chelsea/Arsenal case.
    Time will tell whether Real are tapping up Ronaldo.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    United were never found quilty of anything there......despite what Staam said about them......
    Proven guilty in a court of law and all that kinda stuff should still hold true in this whole discussion.
    Kippy

I completely disagree. Fergie hasnt been proven to have tapped up anyone. Neither have Madrid.

Completely concur. Ferguson is a hypocrite! Everyone does it of course, but for that lot to report Madrid to FIFA is pretty much disgraceful, almost cringeworthy.
    But it's an attitude running through that club. Ferguson says to Geoff Shreeves after every Sky interview, "well done Geoff!" if he is happy enough with the interview. But if he is not, i.e being confronted with the truth...Ronaldo's diving etc, he verbally abuses the interviewer. He is a hypocritical bully. If you don't agree, then let's face it, you're a Man U fan cos that's the truth!!

• Advertisement

Look,
    Name me a club that have been found guilty of tapping up a player?

Fergie is a bit hypocritical in reporting madrid. I agree fully. Maybe next time a club/team is wronged by the bully boys at OT they'll have the sense to report them and leave the outcome to the authorities.
    Calling Fergie a "Bully" is nothing short of jealousy I fear.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

monkey9 wrote: »
    Completely concur. Ferguson is a hypocrite! Everyone does it of course, but for that lot to report Madrid to FIFA is pretty much disgraceful, almost cringeworthy.
    But it's an attitude running through that club. Ferguson says to Geoff Shreeves after every Sky interview, "well done Geoff!" if he is happy enough with the interview. But if he is not, i.e being confronted with the truth...Ronaldo's diving etc, he verbally abuses the interviewer. He is a hypocritical bully. If you don't agree, then let's face it, you're a Man U fan cos that's the truth!!

Couldnt agree more.Everyone is at it no doubt but if tapping up was an olympic sport Ferguson would take the gold by a distance.I was only talking to a man Utd fan in work this evening and he even agrees that it's getting pretty embarrassing at this stage.Absolute joke

kippy wrote: »
    Look,

Fergie is a bit hypocritical in reporting madrid. I agree fully. Maybe next time a club/team is wronged by the bully boys at OT they'll have the sense to report them and leave the outcome to the authorities.
    Kippy

He is a bully!

I think everyone is agreed that most clubs do it, but they don't usually go to FIFA about it so for Utd to do it of all clubs is hypocritical hence the point of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Look,

Kippy

So you agree with the OP then? Fergie is hypocritical

gixerfixer wrote: »
    So you agree with the OP then? Fergie is hypocritical

100%-said it ages ago.
    Didnt really think the topic needed to be discussed at all. Just a bit of sniping from an ABU really trying to get the wind up.
    Kippy

monkey9 wrote: »
    He is a bully!

I think everyone is agreed that most clubs do it, but they don't usually go to FIFA about it so for Utd to do it of all clubs is hypocritical hence the point of this thread.
    Arsenal went to FIFA/The FA about it and got justice. They were one of the few clubs who actually reported someone over this.
    Kippy

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

some of this is so cheap - i read the first 4/5 pages and then it's the usual drivel

man utd fans,
    this is started to kind of say basically it's silly that a true champion of tapping up is complaining,
    and there's no defence to that - it's all just "WELL LIVERPOOL DID IT TOO" or "WHAT ABOUT ARSENAL CHELSEA AND MILAN" or ****e like that,
    The point is rafa benitez isn't running around accusing other managers of rotating too much, wenger isn't accusing other managers of not seeing incidents on the pitch and roman abramovich isn't accusing anyone else of having more money than sense.

mayordenis wrote: »
    some of this is so cheap - i read the first 4/5 pages and then it's the usual drivel

man utd fans,
    this is started to kind of say basically it's silly that a true champion of tapping up is complaining,
    and there's no defence to that - it's all just "WELL LIVERPOOL DID IT TOO" or "WHAT ABOUT ARSENAL CHELSEA AND MILAN" or ****e like that,
    The point is rafa benitez isn't running around accusing other managers of rotating too much, wenger isn't accusing other managers of not seeing incidents on the pitch and roman abramovich isn't accusing anyone else of having more money than sense.
    The point is......
    Rafa doesnt rotate any more than any other manager, he just hasnt the squad to do it well.
    He cant really report anyone to anyone else for rotating anyway as it isnt against the rules of the game....

Arsene not seeing incidents, isnt against the rules either, neither is roman having more money than anyone else.

Fergie is obviously being arrogant/hypocrytical/a fool here for reporting Madrid for something he himself does. The thing is, no one has report him, maybe this saga will convinve others to report him when he gets up to this again. He is well within his rights to report Madrid for what they are doing. Its not his fault he hasnt been reported in the past-surely?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

lol

really I though rotation was against the rules, silly me . . . I wasn't using it as an analogy at all.

My opinion is what goes around comes around - hopefully someone will hang him out to dry and soon.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    lol

really I though rotation was against the rules, silly me . . . I wasn't using it as an analogy at all.

My opinion is what goes around comes around - hopefully someone will hang him out to dry and soon.
    Not a very good analogy to use then, was it?

Sorry, Disregard my last comment.

Whatever.
    Kippy

The point is......
    Rafa doesnt rotate any more than any other manager, he just hasnt the squad to do it well.
    He cant really report anyone to anyone else for rotating anyway as it isnt against the rules of the game....

Arsene not seeing incidents, isnt against the rules either, neither is roman having more money than anyone else.

Fergie is obviously being arrogant/hypocrytical/a fool here for reporting Madrid for something he himself does. The thing is, no one has report him, maybe this saga will convinve others to report him when he gets up to this again. He is well within his rights to report Madrid for what they are doing. Its not his fault he hasnt been reported in the past-surely?

Ok, this is really boring.

No, Wenger has not reported anyone to FIFA for failing too see an incident.

No, Rafa has not reported anyone for rotating who the hell they like

Yes, Ferguson has reported clubs for tapping up players.

Here lies the hypocritism. Hense the laughter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

It is a bit rich when United complain about their player being tapped up and I can understand all the ABU's loving the fact that Real are doing their utmost to lure Ronaldo away.
    But I would say beware to all Arsenal, Liverpool fans etc. Your sympathies might lie elsewhere when Madrid come sniffing around your star players. Only last month Real were making comments publicly about signing Fabregas. Next season it might be Gerrard there after.
    I think Wenger dealt with them in a more commonsense way than Fergie
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1132842.ece
    I really don't feel there is any point reporting Real Madrid for tapping up players as they do it all the time and nothing will be done about it but I am glad to see United stand up to Calderon et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

grahamo wrote: »
    But I would say beware to all Arsenal, Liverpool fans etc. Your sympathies might lie elsewhere when Madrid come sniffing around your star players. Only last month Real were making comments publicly about signing Fabregas. Next season it might be Gerrard there after.

I love the way because its happening to Ronaldo\utd now, its the first time its ever happened. Us arsenal fans put up with 3 years of it with Vieira, Henry, Reyes and Fabs last year. Said it before i'm delighted someone did the dirt on Real at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

thread is pretty stupid tbh

great contribution i know, but seriously, whats the fooking point in this thread? wow Fergie is a hypocite! im sure hes the first guy in history to be one, and does it deserve its own thread? ffs get lives!

kryogen wrote: »
    thread is pretty stupid tbh

great contribution i know, but seriously, whats the fooking point in this thread? wow Fergie is a hypocite! im sure hes the first guy in history to be one, and does it deserve its own thread? ffs get lives!

It was Als attempt at quelling those "Al supports United rumours"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was Als attempt at quelling those "Al supports United rumours"!

:D

that ship has long sailed! we all know who he really supports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^^^^^^^

pair of losers

I think you ****ers are obsessed with me tbh!

:)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

pair of losers

I think you ****ers are obsessed with me tbh!

:)

I can see you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

grahamo wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only Liverpool fan who wouldn't be too concerned if Gerrard was sold to Real Madrid.Yes he's our best and most important player but no one is bigger than the team and Benitez has already shown that when he spends big he delivers high quality players. More importantly we'd then have the cash to go after David Villa and he'd be guaranteed a first team spot in Gerrard's absence ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Yes, Ferguson is being totally hypocritical. Don't know why this would be a surprise to anyone or criticised by anyone either. Managers are professional hypocrites, it's part of their job. Just like how 90% of managers have never seen controversial incidents in a match clearly if they reflect badly on their players but they acquire the vision of a hawk if one of the opposition players has been in the wrong.

Ferguson acts like a hypocrite all the time, but its his job to protect the interests of Man United. When a united player does something out of order he tends to publicly support them, whereas he'd be likely to scream blue murder if an opposition player was out of order during a game. He tends to claim refs are against united even if they get more favourable marginal decisions than anyone else in the league. Again, he's acting in the interests of the club, putting subtle pressure on the refs.

In this case, its in his best interest to keep ronaldo or ensure united get the best possible deal for him if he goes. In either of these scenarion, its important to keep real as far away as possible, and dealing with the club as opposed to the player. Ofcourse it's hypocritical as he's tapped up countless players but it's his job to get the best players for united, not to gift-wrap his star players for other clubs.

He's where he is today because of the way he does business. Get away with anything you can, and don't let anyone else get away with anything at your expense.

he's a hypocrite, and as a utd fan i'm glad of it! *obviously i'm not condoning tapping up players, unsettling them etc, i'm just looking at his actions rationally*

Advertisement