Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

i know someone who was driving home and was caught at a check point and was bagged, he was twice the limit. fair enough its his own fault and a huge and stupid risk to take.. i am just wondering how long will he be off the road roughly.his job involves driving and his family are dependant on him to drive...thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

usually 12 months
    his job involves driving and his family are dependant on him to drive...thanks

sucks to be them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Use designated driver next time? Don't look at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

generally 2 year ban and can apply to get licence back after 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Why drink and drive if his job depends on him being able to drive? Sucks to be him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

i know someone who was driving home and was caught at a check point and was bagged, he was twice the limit. fair enough its his own fault and a huge and stupid risk to take.. i am just wondering how long will he be off the road roughly.his job involves driving and his family are dependant on him to drive...thanks

When before the judge he can request to defer the ban to get his affairs in order, a friend of mine did that with exams. My Dad' a taxi driver and I find it irreprehensible that your friend would risk his families livliehood so flippantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The schools are off soon for summer, so he should get his CV in to McDonalds asap.
    Your friend is an idiot for putting his job and family in jeopardy, not to mention the lives of other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The schools are off soon for summer, so he should get his CV in to McDonalds asap.
    Your friend is an idiot for putting his job and family in jeopardy, not to mention the lives of other road users.
    Exactly.

I know a guy who was banned for three years as a result of being caught over the limit the morning after a night out. In this day and age, I think anyone who drink drives should be taken off the road permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

BJC wrote: »
    I find it irreprehensible that your friend would risk his families livliehood so flippantly.

so you think its a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Rb wrote: »
    I think anyone who drink drives should be taken off the road permanently.

i agee with this statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

zuutroy wrote: »
    so you think its a good idea?

...................God damn it.

Cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Myth wrote: »
    Cycle.

Maybe get one of these and start up another business :D
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/rickshawSWNS_468x346.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Maybe get one of these and start up another business :D
    yeah a pub for a start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

i know someone who was driving home and was caught at a check point and was bagged, he was twice the limit
    You "know someone" you say...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

"Your Friend" eh?

That about sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

usually 12 months

sucks to be them

On first offence you can get ur licence back after 6 months on appeal to not be a gobshoite anymore.

I was bagged asleep in the car in a car park in Drumcondra 2 years ago..

i was after having at least 12 drinks hours before...

passed the test in storestreet station.

go figure

quote=snyper;56170106
    I was bagged asleep in the car in a car park in Drumcondra 2 years ago..
    i was after having at least 12 drinks hours before...
    bagged while asleep in the car?
    were you driving at all?
    this sort thing happened to me a few years ago.But no bag was involved.Garda tap on my window "are ye ok?"
    "yes im fine as i had a few drinks and live along away from home so i thought id sleep in the car instead of driving home"
    garda then said
    "thats ok ,where are your keys"
    i said
    "i left them at the pub and i get them when i wake up"
    garda
    "thats fine sorry to disurb you"
    and off he went.
    iI dont think they can bag you in the car for being asleep and no intention to drive the car?

Alan Ford wrote: »
    bagged while asleep in the car?
    were you driving at all?
    this sort thing happened to me a few years ago.But no bag was involved.Garda tap on my window "are ye ok?"
    "yes im fine as i had a few drinks and live along away from home so i thought id sleep in the car instead of driving home"
    garda then said
    "thats ok ,where are your keys"
    i said
    "i left them at the pub and i get them when i wake up"
    garda
    "thats fine sorry to disurb you"
    and off he went.
    iI dont think they can bag you in the car for being asleep and no intention to drive the car?

I neglected to mention it was winter and i had the engine on to warm up the car... i was fast asleep

doooh...

snyper wrote: »
    I neglected to mention it was winter and i had the engine on to warm up the car... i was fast asleep

doooh...
    You were lucky you did not wake up dead, sleeping in a car with the engine ticking over deserves everything the cop threw at you.

• Advertisement

You were lucky you did not wake up dead, sleeping in a car with the engine ticking over deserves everything the cop threw at you.

please explain....

how one can wake up dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

I'm glad your 'friend' got caught. The idiot. Another drink driver off the roads is a good things, naturally.

please explain....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

An idiot down the road from me got caught drink driving, he told the judge he needed to drive for work, so the judge gave him 4 or 5 months to sort it out, then after that he was banned for a year. 4 or 5 months later he hires a guy to drive him around for the next twelve months. As soon as he's able to drive again he fires his driver and two weeks later he's caught drink driving again. ****ing idiot.

An idiot down the road from me got caught drink driving, he told the judge he needed to drive for work, so the judge gave him 4 or 5 months to sort it out, then after that he was banned for a year. 4 or 5 months later he hires a guy to drive him around for the next twelve months. As soon as he's able to drive again he fires his driver and two weeks later he's caught drink driving again. ****ing idiot.
    Its just like the cat jumping up onto the kitchen table licking the butter, You cant stop them as soon as you turn your back. I knew a biker that was bagged twice the second time was during his ban period. He came off and ended up in casualty, the cops were ready for him outside the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Get a good solicitor (one experienced in drink-driving offences) he/she should tell you that it is a "technical offence" and that the gardai have to follow strict procedures to earn a conviction.

Have your day(s) in court and see what happens. Gardai are not the most efficient and anything can happen.

I personally have had a potential drink-driving conviction thrown out through gardai errors. (I did not fight or question the evidence, the case was thrown out because the gardai did not do their stuff correctly)

Apparently only 1 in 8 road-traffic offences that go to court result in a conviction so the odds are in your favour.

I'm not justifying drink-driving or advocating it i'm simply giving you the facts of my own experiences. If you wanna pm me feel free...

please explain....

what i think he means by that is i ts silly to sleep in the car running,hence overheats or gos on fire,fumes (petrol) etc.
    the garda probably thought you were trying to top yourself.

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    Get a good solicitor (one experienced in drink-driving offences) he/she should tell you that it is a "technical offence" and that the gardai have to follow strict procedures to earn a conviction.

Have your day(s) in court and see what happens. Gardai are not the most efficient and anything can happen.

I personally have had a potential drink-driving conviction thrown out through gardai errors. (I did not fight or question the evidence, the case was thrown out because the gardai did not do their stuff correctly)

Apparently only 1 in 8 road-traffic offences that go to court result in a conviction so the odds are in your favour.

I'm not justifying drink-driving or advocating it i'm simply giving you the facts of my own experiences. If you wanna pm me feel free...

care to elaborate?

Alan Ford wrote: »
    what i think he means by that is i ts silly to sleep in the car running,hence overheats or gos on fire,fumes (petrol) etc.
    the garda probably thought you were trying to top yourself.

I spend on average 8 hours in my car per day.

In 14 years driving ive never had a car over heat let alone have smoke come out of it.

So in otherwords.. na, its rather an unlikely event to be worrying about.

• Advertisement

I spend on average 8 hours in my car per day.

In 14 years driving ive never had a car over heat let alone have smoke come out of it.

So in otherwords.. na, its rather an unlikely event to be worrying about.
    i just thought id point it out for your safety.
    your driving alot?
    taxi driver id presume?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement