Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

And yet you see fit to turn a blind eye to drivers exceeding the speed limit because they are driving 'well'.

Tell me this - if you see someone exceeding the 100k speed limit by say 10 or 15kph and turn a blind eye, what happens when further up the road that person hits a pedestrian and stops about 10 metres after the point of impact? Would the fact that they were "driving well" a minute before the incident make the fact that perhaps it was avoidable had you done your job and pulled them over for speeding?

I realise i'm getting pedantic now but my point has been consistent throughout - there is never an excuse for driving at speeds greater than the limit. Its everyone else that is throwing increasingly inciteful scenarios at me to try and prove there are situations where it is deemed "safe".

Oh, and BTW, SteveC - apologies for the insulting post towards yourself. I'll edit it now. Was not my intent to insult you.

Unless the pedestrian has suicidal tendancies he isn't just going to walk in front of a fast moving car! Motorways and dual carriageways are not the place for pedestrians, if they are there, I'd hope the gardaí would remove them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

this is motors all over but i have to say its better to drive a correctly maintained car at 5% over the speed limit than theese bad wiper one headlight bald tyres fools i see every day squinting into the sun driving home on wet shiny roads

What has that got to do with anything.

it was a 100kmph road pedestrians shouldn't be on them

or at least they should be at the side where someone who is driving well will avoid them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

You'd never leave the house if that sort of stuff worried you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Who cares why the pedestrian is there - if you kill someone who shouldn't be on the road I admire your conscience if you'll be able to sleep soundly afterwards with the thought of knowing the pedestrian shouldn't have been there.

Here's a better example - livestock on the road? What then? Shoot the farmer?

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    this is motors all over but i have to say its better to drive a correctly maintained car at 5% over the speed limit than theese bad wiper one headlight bald tyres fools i see every day squinting into the sun driving home on wet shiny roads

+1

Had a near miss last winter, pitch black, drizzle & this nutter was driving with both headlights out he was on side lights on a rural road! Madness!

Here's a better example - livestock on the road? What then?

Livestock on the M50/N11 dual carriageway? Don't be so alarmist
    Shoot the farmer?

Good idea.

Tigger?

I would have said its better to drive neither at 5% over the speed limit.

Livestock on the M50/N11 dual carriageway? Don't be so alarmist

I never mention specific roads - you said 100km roads. You don't have to be on the M50 or N11 to be on a 100km road.

Who cares why the pedestrian is there - if you kill someone who shouldn't be on the road I admire your conscience if you'll be able to sleep soundly afterwards with the thought of knowing the pedestrian shouldn't have been there.

why are you are not willing to listen
    driving well at 110kmph would entail being able to stop easilly by the point you can see to or nearer
    this is one of the reasons that narrow roads are more of a threat and slower speeds should be applied

• Advertisement

The last time I met livestock on the road, the limit was 80 I couldn't get much over 50! and yes I stopped in plenty of time!

I would have said its better to drive neither at 5% over the speed limit.

kanswer the question as it was intended dont pick at my communication skilz

I never mention specific roads - you said 100km roads. You don't have to be on the M50 or N11 to be on a 100km road.

If you're in the feckin countryside you are hardly going to drive faster than that needed to stop within the distance you see to be clear.

Let's get this straight Mr. Pedantic, I never said speed without caution. Speeding is arbitrary, but dangerous driving is not. Speed is subjective. Dangerous driving is just that, dangerous.

If you can't sleep at night for fear of people driving at 120 kph on wide open motorways without ever being in danger, while morons crash into gates, ditches and fences at the prescribed limit on backroads, fine.

I'd rather tackle the latter, where people are actually getting killed. And that part is definitely what I joined up for. Stopping real criminal acts, not zapping safe drivers for doing 10kph over on a perfectly adequate 100 kph road built to facilitate 150 kph, like the N11.

And anti-speed nazis without a whit of common sense are all to blame for this nonsense I have to do every day on main roads, forced into ignoring the real dangers to everyone in the driving world.

why are you are not willing to listen
    driving well at 110kmph would entail being able to stop easilly by the point you can see to or nearer
    this is one of the reasons that narrow roads are more of a threat and slower speeds should be applied
    Its you that's not listening. You could see 11miles ahead on the road but when a horse runs out from the side at the last minute what good was your "driving well" then?

What is this "Driving Well" - sounds too vague and immeasurable to be any kind of useful argument.
    The last time I met livestock on the road, the limit was 80 I couldn't get much over 50! and yes I stopped in plenty of time!

Good for you, but my point is not everyone is that lucky that the circumstances favoured your outcome.

Its you that's not listening. You could see 11miles ahead on the road but when a horse runs out from the side at the last minute what good was your "driving well" then?

What is this "Driving Well" - sounds too vague and immeasurable to be any kind of useful argument.

if you are observing correctly it would be unlikley for a horse to run out in an area you were driving well on and yet still driving over the posted limit

as i said narrow roads are places where driving well means slower

Speeding with caution is useless when something runs out in front of you at the last second. That is my point.

And I'd say about 99% of 100km roads are in the countryside - since otherwise urban speed limits would be in effect.

Good for you, but my point is not everyone is that lucky that the circumstances favoured your outcome.

It's nothing to do with luck, it's driving to suit the conditions.

Speeding with caution is useless when something runs out in front of you at the last second. That is my point.

And I'd say about 99% of 100km roads are in the countryside - since otherwise urban speed limits would be in effect.

you just quote yourself

nice

For the sole reason of entertaining you, defensive driving entails correct positioning around corners, to maximise available foresight, minimising the corner angle and using your acceleration to maximise traction.

On straighter roads, positioning to the center line to give maximum visibility for overtaking or forward view. Overtaking at maximum acceleration to minimise time over the line.

Foreseeing hazards and stop/control procedures to prevent uneccessary delays in a potential dangerous situation.

Slowly into danger and quickly out of danger, irrespective of the speed limits.

When I'm driving the patrol car, I only think about those around me, not the arbitrary limit. I drive to keep them safe, while taking into account road conditions and junctions ahead etc.

if you are observing correctly it would be unlikley for a horse to run out in an area you were driving well on and yet still driving over the posted limit

as i said narrow roads are places where driving well means slower

Driving down the M1 there you'll see miles and miles of fencing both sides obviously installed to keep livestock in their fields.

Anyone who knows anything knows that animals get out. They just do. The vegetation on the sides of the M1 is there long enough now that its grown pretty high in places - an animal could easily come out onto the road without you ever knowing about. Easily. And that's the M1.
    Tigger wrote:
    you just quote yourself

nice

Shame on me huh?

• Advertisement

someone jumping out at the last moment is going to get hit regardless what speed you are doing, thinking time is 1/5 of a second, time to hit the brake about 1/2 second no chance!

It's nothing to do with luck, it's driving to suit the conditions.

i have been convinced by the strength of the eskimo's argument (btw thats a nasty term for the inuit)

this driving to suit the conditions you speak of sounds vauge i tghink you should blindly floow the posted limit

specially the 80kmph lanes

Foreseeing hazards and stop/control procedures to prevent uneccessary delays in a potential dangerous situation

Exactly - forseeing hazards and stop/control procedures. Adding 10 or 15k on top of 100k for me is failing to foresee stop procedures in a potential dangerous situation.

someone jumping out at the last moment is going to get hit regardless what speed you are doing, thinking time is 1/5 of a second, time to hit the brake about 1/2 second no chance!

And my point is that the speed your doing dictates whether that persons lives/dies or get maimed.

this driving to suit the conditions you speak of sounds vauge i tghink you should blindly floow the posted limit

Cue another 10 car pile-up on the M7, all watching their speedos instead of driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Oh, and BTW, SteveC - apologies for the insulting post towards yourself. I'll edit it now. Was not my intent to insult you.

No prob.

Off topic but:

You never did let us (in motors) know how you got on with the problem you had when you bought your first car 2 months ago, maybe you could post an update in the thread there.

I'm not trying to insult you but I don't think you've been driving all that long and there are drivers here giving opinions based on many years of experience (and in the case of Marcus, advanced Garda training), that you just aren't taking in.

Or are you just here to troll the 'idiots' like you said in the soccer forum.

Exactly - forseeing hazards and stop/control procedures. Adding 10 or 15k on top of 100k for me is failing to foresee stop procedures in a potential dangerous situation.

If that is the limit of your skill, then you are correct. The speed limits suit you very well. You are an accomplished driver and I hope you do well in your driving career.

But not everyone is as skilled as you, and some are more skilled.

Their attitude is of course, a different matter.

PS thanks for the debate, I'm not sure if you're extracting the urine, but I'm enjoying it anyway!

Forgive me, have to head into work. I'll try to get back on at some point later.

As someone's sig says - never argue with idiots - they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience...

I never said drive at the limit at all times or blindly follow the posted limit.

I'm simply saying that there is no situation that ever justifies a member of the public exceeding the speed limit.

Christ is is that difficult to work out what I'm saying?

Cue another 10 car pile-up on the M7, all watching their speedos instead of driving.

seen enough of that in the UK, it has been proven that crossing the road near a speed camera is more dangerous than elsewhere as drivers are doing precisly that. Matching the speed of the general traffic is much safer.

• Advertisement

stevec wrote: »
    No prob.

Off topic but:

You never did let us (in motors) know how you got on with the problem you had when you bought your first car 2 months ago, maybe you could post an update in the thread there.

I'm not trying to insult you but I don't think you've been driving all that long and there are drivers here giving opinions based on many years of experience (and in the case of Marcus, advanced Garda training), that you just aren't taking in.

Or are you just here to troll the 'idiots' like you said in the soccer forum.

thanks dude

lads i'm not gonna bother, some nice posts on this thread but ......

drive safe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement