Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Alan Ford wrote: »
    what i think he means by that is i ts silly to sleep in the car running,hence overheats or gos on fire,fumes (petrol) etc.
    the garda probably thought you were trying to top yourself.

Wouldn't it be more likely to overheat, burst into flames etc while it's driving rather than while it's stationary?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i just thought id point it out for your safety.
    your driving alot?
    taxi driver id presume?

no, i am a business development manager (sales boy) with a renewable energies company.

Geothermal heatpumps ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

snyper wrote: »
    I spend on average 8 hours in my car per day.

In 14 years driving ive never had a car over heat let alone have smoke come out of it.

So in otherwords.. na, its rather an unlikely event to be worrying about.
    There is a difference between awake in your car with the motor running because if you feel a bit stuffy or drowzy you roll down the window, you sleep in your car you have no control over anything, it is worse if there is a faulty exhaust as the gasses can work their way into the cab rather than blow away in the wind when your moving. In fact a law should be implemented with serious penalty points for idiots that sleep in their cars with the motors still running, particularly with petrol cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Wouldn't it be more likely to overheat, burst into flames etc while it's driving rather than while it's stationary?
    works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

drink drivers are scumbags, he deserves all he gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

moosejam wrote: »
    drink Drivers Are Scumbags, He Deserves All He Gets

+ 1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There is a difference between awake in your car with the motor running because if you feel a bit stuffy or drowzy you roll down the window, you sleep in your car you have no control over anything, it is worse if there is a faulty exhaust as the gasses can work their way into the cab rather than blow away in the wind when your moving. In fact a law should be implemented with serious penalty points for idiots that sleep in their cars with the motors still running, particularly with petrol cars.

i'l ignore the idiot comment for now, however in a 6 month old car i fail to see your logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What are posters opinions of people who drive and are exhausted?
    I'd imagine a lot of accidents are caused by people falling asleep at the wheel and I know I've come close to this from working nights. Starting getting taxi's instead.

Kinda reckless and similar to drink driving imo

Btw, anyone I know who has ever been in court for drink driving gets a two year ban but can apply to get it back after 12 month. Seems to be the standard punishment these days for a first offence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

please explain....

how one can wake up dead?

Yeah, surely you'd die of the shock if you did? :confused:
    I dont think they can bag you in the car for being asleep and no intention to drive the car?

AFAIK, they can if you have the keys upon your person (even if you don't have the engine running).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

i'l ignore the idiot comment for now, however in a 6 month old car i fail to see your logic.
    Any car is dangerous, You buy a 6 month old car unknowingly that the previous owner drove over a rock or a roundabout and punctured the exhaust system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

micmclo wrote: »
    What are posters opinions of people who drive and are exhausted?

I've seen a couple of "tests" comparing drunk/exhausted drivers and generally the exhausted drivers perform worse than the drunks. Little you can do about the tired people but at least we can feck the drunks off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

An idiot down the road from me got caught drink driving, he told the judge he needed to drive for work, so the judge gave him 4 or 5 months to sort it out, then after that he was banned for a year. 4 or 5 months later he hires a guy to drive him around for the next twelve months. As soon as he's able to drive again he fires his driver and two weeks later he's caught drink driving again. ****ing idiot.
    i know someone who was driving home and was caught at a check point and was bagged, he was twice the limit. fair enough its his own fault and a huge and stupid risk to take.. i am just wondering how long will he be off the road roughly.his job involves driving and his family are dependant on him to drive...thanks

These guys need to find themselves hobbies which don't involve drink. They just can't seem to stop at one even though they know they're driving.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

For twice the limit, it's a 3 year minimum for the first offence, and 6 years for a second or subsequent offence. That's the minimum on conviction, it can be more depending on the judge. There can also be a fine and/or a prison sentence.

An application can be made to have the licence restored, but 2/3 of the disqualification must be served. So off the road for a 2 years, and a massive insurance premium thereafter.

So if you think about the extra cost of insurance alone (possibly double) the cost of hiring a solicitor makes a lot of sense.
    no, i am a business development manager (sales boy) with a renewable energies company.

And you drive 14 hours a day? Ironic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

micmclo wrote: »
    Btw, anyone I know who has ever been in court for drink driving gets a two year ban but can apply to get it back after 12 month. Seems to be the standard punishment these days for a first offence

Law was changed in the Road Traffic Act, 2006, and in any event it depends on how much over the limit you are. Just over the limit for a first offence is 1 year. You can only apply to have your licence restored if the disqualification was for over 2 years (i.e. 2 years and a day +) and even then 2/3 of the disqualification must be served (different if the offence occured before the RTA 2006 came into effect).
    FruitLover wrote: »
    AFAIK, they can if you have the keys upon your person (even if you don't have the engine running).

The offence is being drunk while in charge of the vehicle with the intent to drive or attempt to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Walk.If our goverment where really serious about stopping drink driving there is a solution.....If you are caught and convicted of being over the limit in a court of law you lose your licence to drive for life.Watch the amount of road deaths drop by 70-80% and idiots who say "im well able to drink 5 pints and drive home" disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Dudess wrote: »
    You "know someone" you say...?

Maybe it was mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Your "friend" should accept the consequences, hopefully they'll learn their lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

And you drive 14 hours a day? Ironic.

lol and sleeps in the car with the engine running :rolleyes:

Drunk drivers deserve everything they get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

usually 12 months

Happened to one of my good friend, its about 2-3 years minimum. My friend had the police testify for him in court, and he ended up getting a lenient sentence (or so the Gardaí told him), and he got 3 years and the minimum fine (€200 methinks), but was told he could appeal it after two years and it would be lifted. He was well above twice over the limit too. He had something like 11 bottles of Miller and then 3/4 a shoulder of vodka. I was surprised he could still stand let alone get into a car...
    Rb wrote:
    ...I think anyone who drink drives should be taken off the road permanently.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What was his exact reading?

35 microgrammes is the limit (per 100 millilitres of breath), so if he had a reading of over double, it would put him in the minimum 3 years bracket, which would also carry a fine.

Check the details here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/drink-driving-offences-in-ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

his job involves driving and his family are dependant on him to drive...thanks
    Really foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Walk.If our goverment where really serious about stopping drink driving there is a solution.....If you are caught and convicted of being over the limit in a court of law you lose your licence to drive for life.Watch the amount of road deaths drop by 70-80% and idiots who say "im well able to drink 5 pints and drive home" disappear.

Do you really believe that up to 80% of road deaths are caused by drink-drivers? That's about three times the Road Safety Authority estimate - but what do they know? Personally, I believe this obsession with drink driving is actually causing deaths. Why? Because people seem to think they're almost immune from having an accident if they don't drink. Take a look at the spate of accidents causing death over the past week or two - most of them don't appear to be drink-related, yet all we hear is about drink-driving. The high moral ground is getting mighty crowded these days!

The simple fact is, speeding is the main cause of deaths but we don't hear calls for speeders to be put off the road for life, do we? No, because virtually everyone speeds. (a recent Morning Ireland report demonstrated that every vehicle was breaking the speed limits on a stretch of road somewhere in the Midlands). We need someone to blame for al these deaths and the drink-driver fits the bill perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

vinylrules wrote: »
    The simple fact is, speeding is the main cause of deaths but we don't hear calls for speeders to be put off the road for life, do we?

I'd like them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Rb wrote: »
    I'd like them to be.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I'd like them to be.

Me 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Theres some people on very high horses here. Yes drink driving is wrong and stupid but only 15 years ago nobody would have batted an eyelid.
    Even if you banned every drink driver for life people would still be killed on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

caoibhin wrote: »
    Theres some people on very high horses here. Yes drink driving is wrong and stupid but only 15 years ago nobody would have batted an eyelid.
    Even if you banned every drink driver for life people would still be killed on the roads.

So does that make it right to drink and drive? Unfortunately people are killed on the roads but we must make every attempt to try to reduce this. Every life lost on the road affects a wider group of people.

brim4brim wrote: »
    lol and sleeps in the car with the engine running :rolleyes:

Drunk drivers deserve everything they get!
    I'm assuming Snyper was in a car park at the time, therefore not on the public highway. The drink driving laws only apply to the public highway not private property.
    He was lucky as he would have been done if one wheel had left the carpark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'd like them to be.
    Me too.
    eoin2nc wrote: »
    Me 3

'Cos none of ye EVER speed!
    Bearing in mind now..101km/h and you're "speeding"

haha...ah some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

ClioV6 wrote: »
    'Cos none of ye EVER speed!
    Bearing in mind now..101km/h and you're "speeding"

haha...ah some people.

You cant break the speed limit on a High Horse.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement