Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

caoibhin wrote: »
    You cant break the speed limit on a High Horse.;)

Haha...brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ClioV6 wrote: »
    'Cos none of ye EVER speed!
    Bearing in mind now..101km/h and you're "speeding"

haha...ah some people.

Nope, I never, ever speed. Anyone who's been in the car with me can testify to that.

In fact, I'd say I'm one of the only people who keeps to the 60km and 50km limits on the M50 in the areas under construction, have yet to see anyone else do it anyway.

I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to the privatisation of speed cameras and seeing them pop up everywhere. That should sort out quite a few more of those who think it's ok to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Rb wrote: »
    Nope, I never, ever speed. Anyone who's been in the car with me can testify to that.

In fact, I'd say I'm one of the only people who keeps to the 60km and 50km limits on the M50 in the areas under construction, have yet to see anyone else do it anyway.

I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to the privatisation of speed cameras and seeing them pop up everywhere. That should sort out quite a few more of those who think it's ok to speed.

Driving Miss Daisy?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Driving Miss Daisy?

Its attitudes like yours on drink driving and speeding that is causing deaths on the road. Speeding is speeding, drink driving is drink driving, both should result in hefty fines,bans and jail time

Holier than thou attitudes.

Rb, fair play to you. Ridiculous though.

eoin..do you believe that doing 130km/h on the motorway at 4am in the morning with nothing else on it should result in "hefty fines,bans and jail time" ?
    honestly now..

oh and said it before,but, Speeding does NOT cause the deaths, it's careless driving that causes the deaths. I know people that would be far more dangerous than me at 20mph than I would be at 70mph.

• Advertisement

Holier than thou attitudes.

eoin..do you believe that doing 130km/h on the motorway at 4am in the morning with nothing else on it should result in "hefty fines,bans and jail time" ?
    honestly now..

oh and said it before,but, Speeding does NOT cause the deaths, it's careless driving that causes the deaths. I know people that would be far more dangerous than me at 20mph than I would be at 70mph.

All I know is that there is senseless waste of life on our roads every week, and we have to do everything in our power to stop it.

You will never know what it is like to lose a loved one until it happens to you

eoin2nc wrote: »
    All I know is that there is senseless waste of life on our roads every week, and we have to do everything in our power to stop it.

You will never know what it is like to lose a loved one until it happens to you

Ok, yes we do..but attacking the people who "speed" is NOT the direction to go.

What's ridiculous about adhering to the laws on our roads?

Is it ridiculous that I don't steal?
    ClioV6 wrote:

Speeding doesn't kill?Such a statement is a tad silly tbh. Also, breaking the speed limit is careless.

Ok, yes we do..but attacking the people who "speed" is NOT the direction to go.

Speed is a killer, and attacking people who speed is a way to go, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I do also but like you don't see anyone else doing it.

• Advertisement

What's ridiculous about adhering to the laws on our roads?

Is it ridiculous that I don't steal?

Speeding doesn't kill?Such a statement is a tad silly tbh. Also, breaking the speed limit is careless.

Because the speed limits in place are ridiculous for the conditions.

Would you follow the speed limit in place if it was 30km/h on an open road for 10 miles straight ahead. 2 lanes each direction.
    honestly now..

It isn't silly at all at all.
    breaking the speed limit is not careless, a km/h over it is breaking the speed limit. I wouldn't call that careless but by yer morals that deserves banning off the road.

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Speed is a killer, and attacking people who speed is a way to go, IMO

You've been looking at the RSAs ads far too much.

You cant break the speed limit on a High Horse.;)
    You just need to avoid low bridges! ;)

The setting of speed limits is quite subjective anyway, at certain times of the day such a limit is ridiculously low & at others ridiculously high! So who's to say they are right.

Because the speed limits in place are ridiculous for the conditions.

Would you follow the speed limit in place if it was 30km/h on an open road for 10 miles straight ahead. 2 lanes each direction.
    honestly now..

Yes, it's the law. I don't care what the conditions may faciliate, if I wander into a shop and see noone standing at the counter, should I rob the place?
    ClioV6 wrote:
    It isn't silly at all at all.
    breaking the speed limit is not careless, a km/h over it is breaking the speed limit. I wouldn't call that careless but by yer morals that deserves banning off the road.

But it is careless, unless the driver is unable to control the speed of the car in which case they shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah now saying not having control of the car if your doing 1km over the limit is just bullsh1t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

what was this thread about again?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I really find it hard to believe that Rb, caoibhin and eoin2nc have never been speeding. While you're right to follow the speeds can you all honestly say that you've never broken the limit before? Even accidentally?

I agree with Rb on the privatisation of the speed cameras though. I think that it'll really help reduce speeding, but I think that when this comes into place that the speed limits should be revised across the country. I know a spot where the speed drops from 100kph to 50kph, when it just isn't required to go that slow. To boot, the police are always hiding around there looking to catch speeders, which I might add they do regularly. They always have a line of cars pulled-in waiting for a telling off.

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    what was this thread about again?! :confused:
    It doesn't matter anymore as it is now about the morals of "working the rule" when it comes to speed limit signs.

ah... it must've been about speeding!?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

You were lucky you did not wake up dead, sleeping in a car with the engine ticking over deserves everything the cop threw at you.

haha this had me laughing out loud..."wake up dead" hahahahahaha

• Advertisement

Sometimes having a speed limit can increase the dangers on the road, for example there was a semi rural road near an English village - the accident rate was something like 12 per year (collisions) the council applied for and got a 40mph limit it was previously the national speed limit (60mph). the following year there were nearly 30 collisions.

Statistics gathered showed that with no limit the average speed was 32mph afterwards it was almost 40mph.

BTW who's cleaver idea was it to abolish national speed limits here??

PS in western Australia there are NO speed limits on any roads, most drivers just cruise along at 80 - 100kmh

yep... definately about speeding...

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    yep... definately about speeding...
    "they think it's about speeding.... it is now."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

first offence should be let off easy -anyone can make a mistake or give in to temptation who was it that said ''as a man i can resist anything....
    except temptation'':D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

first offence should be let off easy -anyone can make a mistake or give in to temptation who was it that said ''as a man i can resist anything....
    except temptation'':D

What's the point in having a law and letting everyone off with a 'first offence'? Can we say the same thing to rapists and murders, your honour?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭memeandmark

Theres some people on very high horses here. QUOTE] i started the thread to get a response about what the penalty would be not any smart answers or opinions thanks for those who responded to the question i asked...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm assuming Snyper was in a car park at the time, therefore not on the public highway. The drink driving laws only apply to the public highway not private property.
    He was lucky as he would have been done if one wheel had left the carpark

No... i was done.. i was in a public car park..

But for some crazy metoboalic rate of processing booze i was under the officiallimit when i was arrested and tested in the station.

Considering i was too drunk to stay in the pub and went back to sleep in the car until my mate came home.. i dont know how i was under the limit ?!

But lesson learned.

I sleep in the back now if need be,, and hide the keys outside the car... so they're not in my posession

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Theres some people on very high horses here. QUOTE] i started the thread to get a response about what the penalty would be not any smart answers or opinions thanks for those who responded to the question i asked...

Ah, but this is after hours! A debate was always going to happen!

If you still haven't gotten the info you need, try reposting in the motoring forum.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OK for the pedantic, how fast? http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=142&pos=65

On this road I challange anyone to reach the speed limit of 60 mph. ;)http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=325&pos=11

• Advertisement

On this road I challange anyone to reach the speed limit of 60 mph. ;)http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=325&pos=11

Wow...

That eh..can't possibly be 2 way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement