Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Wow...

That eh..can't possibly be 2 way?
    Yep!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

vinylrules wrote: »
    The simple fact is, speeding is the main cause of deaths but we don't hear calls for speeders to be put off the road for life, do we?
    Wrong.
    Driving on the wrong side of the road is the #1 cause.
    Excessive speed is #3 (not to be confused with exceeding the speed limit).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Rb wrote: »
    Nope, I never, ever speed. Anyone who's been in the car with me can testify to that.

In fact, I'd say I'm one of the only people who keeps to the 60km and 50km limits on the M50 in the areas under construction, have yet to see anyone else do it anyway.

I have to say though, I'm really looking forward to the privatisation of speed cameras and seeing them pop up everywhere. That should sort out quite a few more of those who think it's ok to speed.

The safety spin machine are puropsely confusing the masses into believing that speeding = breaking the speed limit.

Speeding = excessive speed = inappropiate speed for the road and prevailing conditions and is a factor in almost all road fatalities. If you drive too fast for the conditions then you will almost certainly end up in trouble even if you were within the speed limit.

If, on the other hand, you exceed the posted speed limit when the road and conditions are good and it is safe to do so, chances are you won't die.

Guess which group the speed (tax) cameras are going to catch.

Speed limits are ridiculously un thought out in this country.

On this road I challange anyone to reach the speed limit of 60 mph. ;)http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=325&pos=11

+1
    That kinda proves my point above.
    You could be driving way too fast for that road and still legally be within the limit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I frequently speed yet I seriously don't believe that I am a danger. On the other hand, many drivers that I share the road with should not be sit in the passenger seat of a car!
    I drove around the M50 this evening and exceeded the speed limit and whilst I'm quite good at using my mirrors, I don't recall seeing any bodies behind me!
    As for the percentage of fatalities on our roads, how were these stats compiled? What percentage were primarily speed related? How many were alcohol related? How many were drug related? How many of these were a combination of factors? How many were convienently slipped into a category due to the hassle of placing them in the correct category?
    How long have the stats been compiled?
    The mantra generated here is for convienence and whilst I applaud Gaybo and the RSA for trying to reduce road incidents, I do think they are approaching it with blinkers on!

• Advertisement

On a slight tangent (OK another one) In the UK it has been proven that motorist that fail to see a dayglo orange speed camera and get points on their licences are "crash magnets". Insurance companies load their premiums accordungly.

Visible speed cameras are a bit like mouse traps, they catch the dimmer mice, smart ones see the danger and take avoiding action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jdalton11

I'd just like to make the point that I was cuaght drink driving, Drove out one night cos it was impossible to get a Taxi - (Ive done this quiet often.), But ALWAYS got a taxi home. Got very drunk . . and "woke up" so to speak in the Garda station, barely remember being breatalized- I never drank and drove before and have no Idea why i did it that night. I cannot remember doing it. (I didn't even take the normal road home!!)

Now it turns out that no one was hurt, and thats all that matters really - I don't care about the 3 year ban ect.. Its a real burden - ive had to change job ect.. but I deserved it. Someone could have been killed.

Like a lot of you, I was always extremely critical of drink driving, and gave out to anyone who ever did. I would never have thought that I would have!
    But in light of my experience, I must say that it CAN happen to anyone!! And one moment of madness (or unconsious madness in my case) can lead to years of hardship.

So please people (who have) . .don't be so quick to Judge. Yes of course people who re-offend are a serious risk to society - and the law takes this into account - as most get 6 years off the road and some get Jail sentances.

But to ban someone for life (as a few people have suggested) for their first offence is very extreme - and I for one am happy this isn't the case - as it would force me to leave this lovely little country for life.

Sorry for the essay...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

kbannon wrote: »
    I frequently speed yet I seriously don't believe that I am a danger.

Thats what alot of people who drink drive say...

I know alot of people who drink drive, by that i mean after 1, 2, 3 maybe even 4 pints and those people are alot less dangerous than alot of other road users ie. boy racers, speeders in general etc... What alot of people here don't realise is that in rural areas many people do this, more than many actually and never in my area has there been a related accident. In areas such as my own people are as opposed to drink driving laws as ye are to drink driving. I know i'm going to be attacked over this but the fact of the matter is alot of people think this way.

Tackle69 wrote: »
    What alot of people here don't realise is that in rural areas many people do this, more than many actually and never in my area has there been a related accident.

I also live in a rural area, near a couple of sharp bends on a "local" road that just happens to be an alternative way out of town. In three years there have been about half a dozen crashes within 500metres of my house, all single vehicle & late at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

i know someone who was driving home and was caught at a check point and was bagged, he was twice the limit. fair enough its his own fault and a huge and stupid risk to take.. i am just wondering how long will he be off the road roughly.his job involves driving and his family are dependant on him to drive...thanks

If his family are so dependant on him to drive he should have been more careful don't ya think?
    I frequently speed yet I seriously don't believe that I am a danger. On the other hand, many drivers that I share the road with should not be sit in the passenger seat of a car!

Moot point. By speeding you are breaking the law. Plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, i will break the law every day, but i won't lie to myself about it.

• Advertisement

Tackle69 wrote: »
    Thats what alot of people who drink drive say...

I know alot of people who drink drive, by that i mean after 1, 2, 3 maybe even 4 pints and those people are alot less dangerous than alot of other road users ie. boy racers, speeders in general etc... What alot of people here don't realise is that in rural areas many people do this, more than many actually and never in my area has there been a related accident. In areas such as my own people are as opposed to drink driving laws as ye are to drink driving. I know i'm going to be attacked over this but the fact of the matter is alot of people think this way.
    Not all speeding equals dangerous driving!
    As for drink driving, as I have said on here before, I did this plenty of times while I was young and invincible; 99% of the time on rural roads and in some situations I was absolutely polluted. I think the main reason I was never in an accident was because I very rarely met oncoming traffic or other hazards. That was dangerous of me.
    However I still believe that exceeding the speed limit in many of my situations (especially dual carriageway & motorway) does not necessarily post a safety risk.

Dragan wrote: »
    Moot point. By speeding you are breaking the law. Plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, i will break the law every day, but i won't lie to myself about it.
    Where did I try and lie about it? I know what I do. If I didn't then I'm a danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Where did I try and lie about it? I know what I do. If I didn't then I'm a danger.

The speed limits are there for a reason normally based on reaction times and such. They are there for your safety and the safety of other drivers.

With all due respect, no matter how good a driver you are you have no right to break the speed limit and assume it does not make you an extra danger on the road. Of course it does and to assume otherwise is simply lying to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You fúcking scumbucket.

Putting other people's lives at risk.

I'd fúcking castrate you, you worthless piece of fúcking shít.

I hope you get fúcking mangled in a crash into a deserted wall, you scummy little cúnt.

I know I'll be banned, but that prick needs to be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Keepin' it real! DesF

I don't really understand the rural drunk driving thing myself, It's normally handy enough to get a lift home with someone heading out the road, and in some cases these days - the barman will organise lifts for regulars.

In the particular rural area of Monaghan that I'm from, there have been hackneys available for the best part of 10 years now, and would only cost a few euro, probably not more than the cost of 2 drinks.

Dragan wrote: »
    The speed limits are there for a reason normally based on reaction times and such. They are there for your safety and the safety of other drivers.

With all due respect, no matter how good a driver you are you have no right to break the speed limit and assume it does not make you an extra danger on the road. Of course it does and to assume otherwise is simply lying to yourself.
    Hang on. Speed limits are frequently set to allow a maximum number of cars travel (e.g. urban dual carriageways). Did the Naas rd near citywest suddenly become less safe when they reduced the speed limit to whatever it was 30 or 40mph. Did it become safer overnight when the speed limit was returned to what is now 100km/h?

So me doing 150km/h on the M4 on a clear bright day with very little traffic suddenly makes me an extra danger over someone doing under 120km/h (who going by most Irish drivers tend to be oblivious to everyone else on the road)? If this is the case, then how much extra? How more likely am I to be involved in an incident?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I drove around the M50 this evening and exceeded the speed limit and whilst I'm quite good at using my mirrors, I don't recall seeing any bodies behind me!
    As for the percentage of fatalities on our roads, how were these stats compiled? What percentage were primarily speed related? How many were alcohol related? How many were drug related? How many of these were a combination of factors? How many were convienently slipped into a category due to the hassle of placing them in the correct category?
    How long have the stats been compiled?
    The mantra generated here is for convienence and whilst I applaud Gaybo and the RSA for trying to reduce road incidents, I do think they are approaching it with blinkers on!

And i bet you are one of these i have a full licence nazi's.
    DesF wrote: »
    You fúcking scumbucket.

I hope you get fúcking mangled in a crash into a deserted wall, you scummy little cúnt.

well said

hear hear

Stop trying to justify

1. Breaking the law
    2. Putting people's lives at risk

you fúckmonkey.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Stop trying to justify

1. Breaking the law

you fúckmonkey.

Deep breaths Des, deep breaths.

He isnt worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You fúcking scumbucket.

Don't hold back your feelings now horse.

Stop trying to justify

1. Breaking the law

you fúckmonkey.
    There there, let it all out.
    Have you never exceeded the speed limit? If and when you did, what happened? How many people died?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You fúcking scumbucket.

This thread is a right laff.

There there, let it all out.
    Have you never exceeded the speed limit? If and when you did, what happened? How many people died?

I don't drive.

So fúck off you prick.

The mod of Learning to Drive? And Motors?

This gobshíte?

If this prick is giving lessons, I fear for the future of this country.

*me opens second packet of popcorn*

The mod of Learning to Drive? And Motors?

This gobshíte?

If this prick is giving lessons, I fear for the future of this country.
    Firstly, would you tolerate the offensive remarks in one of the forums you moderate?
    Secondly, I am a mod not a driving instructor. I never portrayed myself to be one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sherifu wrote: »
    This thread is a right laff.

Serious business :pac:

Firstly, would you tolerate the offensive remarks in one of the forums you moderate?
    Do you moderate AH?

I fully expect and accept a ban by the way.
    Secondly, I am a mod not a driving instructor. I never portrayed myself to be one either.

You shouldn't be near a fúcking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You shouldn't be near a fúcking car.

Des you're going to get banned, but fair play to you lad.
    Everybody was thinking it, but nobody came out and said it.
    The antagonist here is certainly a complete and utter twát (look at their recent posts to see). And should not be allowed near a car, I'd agree with that.

The admins might want to reconsider his moderating position in motors, but thats another thread for another forum.

o/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement