Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Reread his post, he never said that he did 150kmh on the motorway while pissed.

Good man thats brilliant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

+1 DesF was right to give out.

That kbannon or whatever shouldnt be a mod in learning to drive either. Its daft hes off his head 150KM on the motorway speaks for itself really no justification for that.
    I never said that! Please re-read my posts before being critical!
    I admitted that I have exceeded the speed limit on motorways. I have also admitted that when I was much younger I drank and then sat behind the wheel. I have also admitted that this was incredibly stupid. Never did I do both together!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

kbannon wrote: »
    I never said that! Please re-read my posts before being critical!
    I admitted that I have exceeded the speed limit on motorways. I have also admitted that when I was much younger I drank and then sat behind the wheel. I have also admitted that this was incredibly stupid. Never did I do both together!

ah i thought u did both of em at the same time, its grand so. lets all go around speeding and drink driving, just as long as we dont do them at the same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It was only a matter of time before the high horses were brought out :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stevec wrote: »
    So you're saying that people beep and flash you and try and force you to break the speed limit in the left lane :confused::confused::confused:

pfft.

oh yeah, i had a wonderful man in a nissian patrol, on shelbourne road (which is one lane btw) decided he wanted to get past me, that i wasnt going fast enough for him. He decided to go on the footpath to over take me. Just missed some woman walking along. he kinda got a shock when he got around me though when he realised there was an actual car in front me on. so he decided the best thing to do was just pull out and try to sideswipe me out of the way

wonderful wonderful drivers

then there is the 60km speed limit on the motorway, which i appear to be the only one who actually observes it. You try driving at the speed limit on that road and see what happens, try it with a 7 year old in the back of the car, as you are being flashed at and tailgated by the HGV.

Or try sticking to the speed limit on the stillorgan dualler

irish people are ****e drivers, they have no respect for any other road users or the lives of other road users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

irishbird wrote: »
    i never drive in the right lane, i dont feel comfortable over there
    So you always drive in the wrong lane? That's much worse!!! :P

seandugg wrote: »
    ah i thought u did both of em at the same time, its grand so. lets all go around speeding and drink driving, just as long as we dont do them at the same time....
    I never encouraged anyone to do either. I have in fact condemned the practice of drink driving. I will not condemn the practice of exceeding the speed limit occasionally where it is safe to do so (although in reality one persons definition of safe is different to anothers - hat I am referring to is good environmental conditions, little traffic, etc.).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Everyone experiences bad drivers the world over.

You simply can't peg 'people who speed' and 'people who speed recklessly' into the same basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dudess wrote: »
    DesF banned.

bad language yes but considering the context of this topic, i totally understand and back up what des said. maybe an editing of the post and a warning would have been a more professional way of doing this besides just a banning??

its very easy to say ban him, but this is such a sensitive topic, i think things like this need to be said and is not out of line. some of the posts on here are pathetic and disgraceful and maybe if these posters knew what its like to loose a friend or a family member in a road death, they would know better.

no excuses, anybody that speeds and drink drives can go f*ck themselves. speed does kill, drink does kill, you can look for all the stats you want, but if you slow down, you have a much better chance of survival. its simple really. if i had my way, anybody caught drink driving would be put in jail and banned off the road for life. causing an accident by this - 10 years or more in jail. no excuses.

people dont give 2 f*cks about others when on the roads of ireland. i come from a rural village and i dont think there is any family in it that has not been hit with a road fatality in some respect be it direct family or close friend/neighbour. i was driving on sunday and theres 4 wreathes in a short distance within 2-3 miles of the village. city folk just dont realise it because its not as big an issue, why not? speed is not as easy as it is in the country side, likewise drunk driving can go unnoticed, til some c*nt is stuck in a ditch and 4 people dead.

fair play des, u have my full support on this. if one person stops drink driving or speeding because of your rant, then its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

stevec wrote: »
    So you're saying that people beep and flash you and try and force you to break the speed limit in the left lane :confused::confused::confused:

pfft.

Unless it's the M50 with 60km/h roadworks. Then you will definitely get beepers and flashers even in the left lane :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

jsb wrote: »
    so it's the car that kills people when they speed and not the drivers, cause they are ok cause they didn't know how powerful their car was:rolleyes:
    There's another pedal right next to the accelerator. It's called the brake. It's slows the car down when you apply pressure to it.
    I'm referring to how difficult it is to stay at the speed limit - even when you try your damnedest to. Yes, I will use the brake, but when I try to bring the speed back up to the limit, it's so hard to stop it from exceeding it. But then I hit the break again. So it's a circle.
    He didn't say that... and you know he didn't.

The people bitching here obviously have no clue about driving, but sadly, that's very common here in Ireland where a lot of ye are more suited to a horse and cart.

Jaysus, 150/200 on a proper stretch of road when it's quiet is not an issue. Theres a road a few miles from my house that a rally driver would struggle to hit 60 on, but the limit is 80. It's all fecked up.

It's time to remove "speeding" from the vocabulary, it's too easy for the parrots and those who don't have a clue. Inappropriate speed is the problem.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

bad language yes but considering the context of this topic, i totally understand and back up what des said. maybe an editing of the post and a warning would have been a more professional way of doing this besides just a banning??

Why shouldn't he be banned. He practically wished death upon another poster. If Joey Fritzl himself was on here and I called him an f***ing scumbag I would be banned. Them's the rules. Why should the mods do the editing of his post that he should have had the sense to do while he was typing it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

javaboy wrote: »
    Unless it's the M50 with 60km/h roadworks. Then you will definitely get beepers and flashers even in the left lane :D
    QFT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mena wrote: »
    The people bitching here obviously have no clue about driving, but sadly, that's very common here in Ireland where a lot of ye are more suited to a horse and cart.

Jaysus, 150/200 on a proper stretch of road when it's quiet is not an issue. Theres a road a few miles from my house that a rally driver would struggle to hit 60 on, but the limit is 80. It's all fecked up.

It's time to remove "speeding" from the vocabulary, it's too easy for the parrots and those who don't have a clue. Inappropriate speed is the problem.

What exactly do you mean, you think its ok to speed so ya? your the best driver in the land and we are all shi*e ya? get a f8ckin life man.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

its very easy to say ban him, but this is such a sensitive topic, i think things like this need to be said and is not out of line. some of the posts on here are pathetic and disgraceful and maybe if these posters knew what its like to loose a friend or a family member in a road death, they would know better.

no excuses, anybody that speeds and drink drives can go f*ck themselves. speed does kill, drink does kill, you can look for all the stats you want, but if you slow down, you have a much better chance of survival. its simple really. if i had my way, anybody caught drink driving would be put in jail and banned off the road for life. causing an accident by this - 10 years or more in jail. no excuses.

people dont give 2 f*cks about others when on the roads of ireland. i come from a rural village and i dont think there is any family in it that has not been hit with a road fatality in some respect be it direct family or close friend/neighbour. i was driving on sunday and theres 4 wreathes in a short distance within 2-3 miles of the village. city folk just dont realise it because its not as big an issue, why not? speed is not as easy as it is in the country side, likewise drunk driving can go unnoticed, til some c*nt is stuck in a ditch and 4 people dead.

fair play des, u have my full support on this. if one person stops drink driving or speeding because of your rant, then its worth it.
    Take it to feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

I never encouraged anyone to do either. I have in fact condemned the practice of drink driving. I will not condemn the practice of exceeding the speed limit occasionally where it is safe to do so (although in reality one persons definition of safe is different to anothers - hat I am referring to is good environmental conditions, little traffic, etc.).

so what make's you think you are more qualified to judge the proper speed limit of a motor way over the engineers etc who set the limits and who know a hell of a lot about their job?

What exactly do you mean, you think its ok to speed so ya? your the best driver in the land and we are all shi*e ya? get a f8ckin life man.

To be fair, I think us ferners who steal your wimminz should be able to, since we've at least had training and know what we're doing. You lot should be relegated to a horse and cart. Just keep the **** off of my road will ya? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I resent insinuations that I'm a dangerous driver if I exceed the speed limit slightly on a dual carriageway. I'm an experienced, responsible, safe driver with not a mark on my record and a no-claims bonus of nine years. My insurance cost is minimal. So frankly, piss off if you're gonna accuse me of being a dangerous driver. How dare you, actually. I know what I'm doing, I can make a judgement, I'm in control. I would never be stupid enough to put myself in a position where I would lose control.
    And who says certain speed limits are correct? Whatever about the law, would it actually be life threatening to increase certain speed limits?
    Someone else from Cork might know the stretch from Blarney to Tower - about two miles of medium-width road (it's not a back road). For much of it, there are no houses, just woodland on either side. There is a footpath. Yet it's a 30mph zone. A joke. There is no reason why it can't be 40mph.

Drink driving though is a separate issue - I would never sit behind the wheel even after just one drink.

+1

What you see there is perfect example of how propaganda can influence peoples perception of "speeding", most experienced motorists have a good perception of what a safe speed is - regardless of what is posted on a sign.

That speed could be occasionally much less than what the sign says and on good open & clear roads a bit higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i have never exceed the speed limit on a motor way or a dual carriageway. i have had muppets trying to force me to break the limit, flashing, beeping, tailgating etc.

I cant believe a mod of learning to drive is here basically telling people its okay to break the speed limited.

I just hope to god, he doesnt kill some poor kid the next time he is speed

shame you and shame on boards
    I hardly think boards is responsible for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I dunno. Drink driving is a "NO". And i live in the country. Taxi's still exist out here in the stix..

I think a lot of it is the combination of appalling drivers, the roads, and the councils speed limits.

I have to drive home on a laneway (it used to be a dirt road - you just couldn't call it a road)which would only fit 1 car wide, and its not a straight road, and the council put up a speed limit of 80 !! :eek: :eek: Like c'mon...
    And believe me, the neighbours think its a frikkin speed target even though we made the council take it down...

Dare i say , dont let your kids or animals outside the door!! Be they squished upon your return home..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

oh yeah, i had a wonderful man in a nissian patrol, on shelbourne road (which is one lane btw) decided he wanted to get past me, that i wasnt going fast enough for him. He decided to go on the footpath to over take me. Just missed some woman walking along. he kinda got a shock when he got around me though when he realised there was an actual car in front me on. so he decided the best thing to do was just pull out and try to sideswipe me out of the way

Jesus, thats appaling:eek:. I hope you got his reg and reported him to the Guards.
    It's hardly the same as exceeding the posted limit in a clear straight road though.

Rules are rules. DesF knew he'd get banned for it, bit like suicide by cop!.
    FYI, questioning a mods decision is also a bannable offence, you're lucky Karoma isn't here.

+1000

In fairness Im on yours and Des' side on this one BUT anyone who says they have NEVER crept above the speed limit, well, I find that hard to believe. i dont condone it but I cant gethigh and mighty about it either because it happens to me and anyone Ive been in the car with. Anyone who drives regularly knows how hard it is to stay within the limits all of the time. in fact, when it comes to that particular question, only people who drive should comment because those that don't are being idealistic.

There is also those people that drive excessively slow, they are also very very dangerous.

For example here, for me, a case when speeding is ok. If I am, as i regularly do, every weekday, driving on the M50 and some loon is in front of me all over the road and I cant predict what he'll do next or which side of the road he;ll swerve to, then I dont think its safe to be behind him. I will happily drop the gears and go 10-15 mph over the limit TEMPORARILY to get past that guy for my own safety and those behind me. I have no problem with that kind of speeding tbh. One could say that slowing down and creating a distance is the right thing to do, and thats correct but its not always an option with large volumes of traffic behind u and when u consider that slowing down to a crawl suddenly on a motorway is one of the most dangerous things u can do.

Drink driving on the other hand is indefensible. As is tailgaiting. As is speeding needlessly or speeding in any form of residential area.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I agree as per above; Kbannon regardless the common sense thing here is you think its ok to push the speed limits and its not.

150kmh on any stretch of road is mad whether you are 'able' for it or not I cannot see what makes people think they have the right to do it when others dont? points..to right thinking members of society.

Most people could drive fine at 150+ on an empty motorway or straight road, but just don't cause its stupid, what difference does the extra speed make? - you get to your destination a few minutes earlier, a bit of a buzz from your mad adventure
    ........and the only risk was that you were more likely to cause or be involved in an accident, how can anyone defend that? there really is black and white on this.

edit

I dont speed normally but actually ended up with points for what Neil1984 mentions above - i was driving at a temporary speed of 125KM on a Dual Carriageway to as i thought avert a crazy driver and came around the corner speed camera and got done and I dont speed in the general course of my driving ever- I felt hard done by but I knew what I was doing so heck thems the rules. I dont agree with speeding at all now even where you think it safe to do so, had it been an accident round that corner instead of a speed camera I may have driven straight into it.

Thats disgraceful. BUT, and Im just pointing out, thats not speeding or drink driving (well, it doesnt appear to be), its just another example of the arsehole "rush culture" of Irelands drivers.

Everyones in sich a hurry. Tailgaiting is my biggest hate. Its incredibly dangerous and if u need to break suddenly theyll hit u no doubt about it. :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I would love to know if any of the "its fine to speed when I feel its ok" crowd have even done any further driver training, other then the general standard?

FYI 150km/h is 30km/h over the limit and in old money is a little over 90mph. On a clear stretch of motorway this is very easily achievable. Please don't convince yourself that this is warp speed!
    If the speed limit was increased to 150mph, is it suddenly safe to drive at this speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

If the speed limit was increased to 150mph, is it suddenly safe to drive at this speed?

*smacks head on desk*

You just don't know when to quit do you.

• Advertisement

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I would love to know if any of the "its fine to speed when I feel its ok" crowd have even done any further driver training, other then the general standard?

I did an advanced "Defensive driving" course 25 years ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement