Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I would love to know if any of the "its fine to speed when I feel its ok" crowd have even done any further driver training, other then the general standard?

Myself, I have 4 years professional driving and have completed numerous advanced driving courses, including the rapid response police course in the country I lived in.

But then who cares, it's the internet and anyone can claim to be anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I would love to know if any of the "its fine to speed when I feel its ok" crowd have even done any further driver training, other then the general standard?
    Ah look, this selective interpretation is annoying. Only a dickhead would say it's ok to speed when they feel like it. In my case, I'm only referring to the dual carriageway, I would not speed anywhere else. And on the dual carriageway, it would be more because I find it hard NOT to speed slightly even when I try my best to stay within the speed limit. That's what I'm defending, as it's perfectly understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

kbannon wrote: »
    FYI 150km/h is 30km/h over the limit and in old money is a little over 90mph. On a clear stretch of motorway this is very easily achievable. Please don't convince yourself that this is warp speed!
    If the speed limit was increased to 150mph, is it suddenly safe to drive at this speed?

it is achievable, doesnt mean that it is safe. its achievable to drive the wrong way up the motorway if you want.

the speed limit wont be increased to 150 mph. how about you abide by the law of the land instead of your own.

i still dont understand why you feel you are more qualified to judge a safe speed then those who set the limits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yes, I have.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pvt.joker wrote: »
    *smacks head on desk*

You just don't know when to quit do you.
    Is it an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

pvt.joker wrote: »
    *smacks head on desk*

You just don't know when to quit do you.

Ok so let's take his point with a less extreme figue. Say the motorway limit was raised from 120km/h to 130km/h.

Would the people doing 130 suddenly be safe and the people doing 131 unsafe? An arbitrary number does not divide perfectly the unsafe and the safe drivers.

It's a simple indisputable fact that many of the speed limits on our roads are either too high or too low. Everyone can give an example of both I'm sure. Sometimes the limits seem to be random numbers.

What kbannon is saying (and not advocating btw, just saying) is that he exceeds the speed limit when he believes the conditions allow for it.

Mena wrote: »
    Myself, I have 4 years professional driving and have completed numerous advanced driving courses, including the rapid response police course in the country I lived in.

But then who cares, it's the internet and anyone can claim to be anything.

I just did it to get cheaper car insurance, it worked! I was the first undamaged car in a multi-vehicle pile up on the M6, because I remembered the training. (look as far ahead as possible & don't tail gate!)

Very scary as well when you're stopped in lane 3 with cars coming up behind you @80-90MPH and skidding! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Garda, advanced course
    Advanced advanced course for Traffic Corps
    Motorcycle Course

Drive regularly at 200-220 kph more safely than half the morons travelling at 90 kph. Its all subjective

kbannon would be stopped for silly speeding, but 150 kph on a motorway, while yes, I'd stop you for speeding, it isn't as dangerous as 80 kph (the prescribed limit) on backroads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Garda, advanced course
    Advanced advanced course for Traffic Corps
    Motorcycle Course

Drive regularly at 200-220 kph more safely than half the morons travelling at 90 kph. Its all subjective
    Killer. Murderer!

My grandads brother was a driving tester for 40 years. he did lessons with me when I was learning to drive and had my test coming up. He told me at first that i was driving too aslowly and that this was dangerous to other road users. He never encouraged breaking the speed limit HOWEVER he did tell me, like I used in the example, that on occassions it is necessary.

I think he is more qualified to judge that particular matter than you are from your high horse. Again Im not defending speeding, but there are certain situations where it is required.

Another example is overtaking. Say u have some one doing 15mph on a 30 mph road. Now EVERYONE wants to overtake this person. It is in the interests of safety that they are on the opposite side of the road for as short a time as possible I hope you agree? hence, pulling out and going slightly above the 30mph in order to get back onto the correct side of the road (then braking back to the limit) in order to maximise the safety of oncoming drivers is safe driving dont you think?

• Advertisement

Killer. Murderer!

Thanks for the backup there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Killer. Murderer!

I bet he's stealing yer wimminz too!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

honestly lads, why do ye think ye are more qualified to pick a safe speed than the people who currently do? genuinely interested in why

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Bloddy hilarious Neil, My high horse?
    I asked a question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

seandugg wrote: »
    i still dont understand why you feel you are more qualified to judge a safe speed then those who set the limits?

If you're saying that the limits are 'safe speeds' then you are sadly mistaken.

IMO the people who set these limits are incompetent fools - half of the speed limits in this country are dangerously high, motorway speed limits are too low as well, they should be increased to 130kph in line with other european countries.

Speed limits are blanket limits, i.e. all motorways are 120 kph irrespective of design. The N roads are all 100 kph. Tell me straight that the N11 dual carriageway is the same as the Mitchelstown to Mallow stretch of the N22 (I think its N22!)

That stretch is 100 kph like the N11, but 100 kph would stick you in a ditch in some parts. It's got to be the worst N road in Ireland.

honestly lads, why do ye think ye are more qualified to pick a safe speed than the people who currently do? genuinely interested in why

Looks at a roadmap; if colour = blue; yes (speed=120kmh), elseif colour = red; yes = (speed=100kmh), elseif colour = yellow; yes = (speed=80kmh), etc

It's really that simple!

Bloddy hilarious Neil, My high horse?
    I asked a question.

I sensed it was asked in such away of "who are you to judge". I have no professional driving experience except for a near perfect driving test with only one minor strike (for going too slow!) but as i said, I was thought that by someone with 40 years testing experience.

the people who set the limits are not experts IMO. I came to this conclusions when at the Kilmacanogue stretch of the N11(is that right?) the speed limit very suddenly and without any gradual decline drops from 75mph (120kph) to 30mph (50kph) (that was a few years ago, I believe its 40mph now). if u think thats the product of an experts opinion then you'd be mistaken. Dont believe me? Go out late tonight (so you are niot a danger to anyone else when doing this) and you will not be technically breaking any speed laws by trying this out. Go on the M50 hit 75mph and then suddenly, as quick as u can drop to 30 mph and then come back here with a straight face and tell me thats safe. Ill staright up call u a liar cos my godson lives past there so I have driven that road many a time, and have had to (while obeying all speed laws) drop suddenly from 75mph to 30mph and as i learned it was there and started gradually slowing down in anticipation I have also observed as others did it and its fecking dangerous.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The N2 is 120kph

irishbird wrote: »
    The N2 is 120kph

for compatability with the north ;)

• Advertisement

Common sense and logic. In the same way that we'd question a speed limit which we deemed too high and dangerous for its particular area (no doubt commonplace in Ireland :rolleyes:).
    E.g. a stretch of road I already mentioned - going from Blarney to Tower, a village about two miles away. This is not a back road - it's a medium-sized main road. It has a footpath and there is just forest on either side. At the end of it, it gets busy again with housing estates etc, but for the forested stretch, it's 30mph. Completely ludicrous. You're crawling along with nobody around - the odd pedestrian (who's using the footpath) and nothing else going on. 40mph would be a perfectly reasonable speed on that particular stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

It amazes me the number of people who get on the band wagon and are so opinionated regarding this...
    The op asked what next ? there is a family involved and people think that getting on the drivers case actually helps ? That is in fact the Judges job at this point !

Its good to know that boards is full of people who have such perfect lives, high morals and never do anything Stupid, granted in this case very stupid..
    and all this from a society who use drink for everything..

There are always the high moral ground, the opposite opinion, but the smart people know when not to post as much as when to post. Hey, people even suggested that the op was lying as to who was in fact the driver, at that point I gave up reading :)

As for the OP, I hope your friend sorts it out for his family and I assume he/she has learned a lesson. Some of the my post is only included as I know people look for holes in arguments. well its not an argument, feel free to get up on your moral high horse folks :)

You are all so perfect :)

Sunny. Designated driver for the girlfriend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Because the people that currently do haven't the foggiest.

N59 ...prime example. 100 km/h all the way. 80% of that road is not fit for 80 km/h

All those former N roads that are now bypassed. They supposedly used to be safe for 100 km/h, open the bypass and they're downgraded to 80 km/h.

Speed limits are arbitrary and stand in no relation to safety whatsoever. Speed limit signs are put up willy nilly ...preferably a 100 km/h sign right next to the accident black spot sign.

Speed limits in this country are a joke.

I do stick to the speed limit on good roads most of the time. But not for safety reasons but because I don't want to get caught and be out of pocket.

At the same time, I do drive below the signposted speed limit a lot as well on bad roads, simply because if I were to drive at the limit I would crash.

So forgive me for not taking limits seriously and using my own judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i have never exceed the speed limit on a motor way or a dual carriageway. i have had muppets trying to force me to break the limit, flashing, beeping, tailgating etc.

Not even by 1kmph?

I find it hard to believe tbh. Especially on a motorway of all places

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

How is the view from up there people?
    bad language yes but considering the context of this topic, i totally understand and back up what des said. maybe an editing of the post and a warning would have been a more professional way of doing this besides just a banning?

fair play des, u have my full support on this. if one person stops drink driving or speeding because of your rant, then its worth it.
    Cronies unite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

So is it up to the individual driver to decide what speed they can drive?

You can apply that logic to every law in the country so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I sensed it was asked in such away of "who are you to judge". I have no professional driving experience except for a near perfect driving test with only one minor strike (for going too slow!) but as i said, I was thought that by someone with 40 years testing experience.

the people who set the limits are not experts IMO. I came to this conclusions when at the Glen of the Downs stretch of the M1(is that right?) the speed limit very suddenly and without any gradual decline drops from 75mph (120kph) to 30mph (50kph) (that was a few years ago, I believe its 40mph now). if u think thats the product of an experts opinion then you'd be mistaken. Dont believe me? Go out late tonight (so you are niot a danger to anyone else when doing this) and you will not be technically breaking any speed laws by trying this out. Go on the M50 hit 75mph and then suddenly, as quick as u can drop to 30 mph and then come back here with a straight face and tell me thats safe. Ill staright up call u a liar cos my godson lives past there so I have driven that road many a time, and have had to (while obeying all speed laws) drop suddenly from 75mph to 30mph and as i learned it was there and started gradually slowing down in anticipation I have also observed as others did it and its fecking dangerous.

Whatever way you took my question up is your own problem.

As for the M11, which i think is what you were talking about, the reasons it dropped there was
    As far as I know that drop occurs on the N11 not the M11.
    1)Roadworks which were ongoing for a good while.
    2)there are 2 service stations which merge straight back onto the dual carriageway.
    3)There are numerous slip roads onto the dual carriageway.
    4)There was a number of pedestrian deaths over the years as there was nowhere to cross the motorway until the footbridges were built.

You do not drop down from Motorway speed to 40, you should (if obeying the signs) drop your speed accordingly at the M11/N11 changeover.

And i bet you are one of these i have a full licence nazi's.
    What do you mean by that? Isn't it fair enough to have a full licence? After all, it's the law. You're putting lives at risk if you drive and don't have a full licence... etc.

• Advertisement

You can apply that logic to every law in the country so.

This is preceisly how bad laws are changed! if the majority of the citizens think it's wrong, then eventually the government will change it.

Look at the 2nd provisional driving license issue last year, it got delayed by nine months!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement