Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Dudess wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? Isn't it fair enough to have a full licence? After all, it's the law.

It's also the law not to break the speed limit. But apparantly some of think we can pick and choose which laws we want to obey.

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Whatever way you took my question up is your own problem.

As for the M11, which i think is what you were talking about, the reasons it dropped there was
    As far as I know that drop occurs on the N11 not the M11.
    1)Roadworks which were ongoing for a good while.
    2)there are 2 service stations which merge straight back onto the dual carriageway.
    3)There are numerous slip roads onto the dual carriageway.
    4)There was a number of pedestrian deaths over the years as there was nowhere to cross the motorway until the footbridges were built.

maybe its your problem for not making your point in a clear and concise way which wasnt open to misunderstanding?

Thats the place, apologies, i got the name of the road wrong. Imnot arguing against it being 50kmph. Not at all. For the exact reasons you pointed out there. Read again, my point is that some genius in the road safety board didnt think that suddenly going from 120kmph to 50kmph was dangerous. That should have been implemented with a sign a few miles before advising motorists to reduce speed and that the limit will drop to 50kph, and at the very least bringin the limit down to 100kmp to gradually reduce motorists speed so everyone wouldnt jam on their brakes at the last minute. ts common sense. And its a prime example that "what they say" isnt always right.

EDIT: And u may not suddenly drop it anymore but 2-3 years ago this was the case. Maybe enough people disagreed and they changed it...... funny how that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's also the law not to break the speed limit. But apparantly some of think we can pick and choose which laws we want to obey.
    It's a thing called human nature and using one's own judgement when there's a silly speed limit. I doubt there's many of us who aren't guilty of it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

They do at the M11/N11 merge.

Its not up to me what way you interpreted my question.

I lived down that way for 4-5 years, and it didn't suddenly change, the M11/N11 merge at the second bray exit has been there the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

stevec wrote: »
    If you're saying that the limits are 'safe speeds' then you are sadly mistaken.

IMO the people who set these limits are incompetent fools - half of the speed limits in this country are dangerously high, motorway speed limits are too low as well, they should be increased to 130kph in line with other european countries.

hang on a sec, we are in line with other european countries. look north of the bothere where motorway limits are 116 kph
    http://www.roadsafetyni.gov.uk/speed_limits.pdf

if you want to increase the speed limit you need the have road design that can handle . the autobahns in germany can handle these speeds, irish motorways are not designed to. Time to compare like with like...

I can see the points that in some places the limit set is inapropriate(mainly national roads) BUT this is an exception to the rule. Im the majority of cases it is spot on. The speed limits are set by the engnieers and not by every tom dick and harry for a reason

More speed = more road deaths. you cannot possibly argue differently until the standard of driving on irish roads improves greatly

• Advertisement

seandugg wrote: »
    More speed = more road deaths.
    On dual carriageways/motorways? And even just an excessive speed of, say, 3km per hour extra? The only road accident I'm aware of on a dual carriageway involved a bunch of articulated trucks absolutely bombing it on the Cork-Dublin road...

Yes fact. more speed = more road deaths. only a right arsehole would argue against that

Yeah, of course speed kills. But you've got to take into account where, when, how much speed...

hang on a sec, we are in line with other european countries. look north of the bothere where motorway limits are 116 kph
    http://www.roadsafetyni.gov.uk/speed_limits.pdf

if you want to increase the speed limit you need the have road design that can handle . the autobahns in germany can handle these speeds, irish motorways are not designed to. Time to compare like with like...

I can see the points that in some places the limit set is inapropriate(mainly national roads) BUT this is an exception to the rule. Im the majority of cases it is spot on. The speed limits are set by the engnieers and not by every tom dick and harry for a reason

More speed = more road deaths. you cannot possibly argue differently until the standard of driving on irish roads improves greatly

In the UK as you have quoted dual carriageways are 70mph not 60mph, so we are not in line.

As for engineers setting the limits, they follow the rulebook.
    Looks at a roadmap; if colour = blue; yes (speed=120kmh), elseif colour = red; yes = (speed=100kmh), elseif colour = yellow; yes = (speed=80kmh), etc

It's really that simple!

Yes fact. more speed = more road deaths. only a right arsehole would argue against that

i agree.

That said u have to be objective about it dont ya think?

• Advertisement

And sensible, logical, practical, other adjectives from that Supertramp song...

In the UK as you have quoted dual carriageways are 70mph not 60mph, so we are not in line.

As for engineers setting the limits, they follow the rulebook.

It says motorways/Dual Carriageways so we are ahead on motorway.

They wrote the rule book.

I agree with ye that Motorways are the safest roads by design, although when crashes do happen on them, they tend to be more serious, thus i cant understand the argument to increase speed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In KBannon's defence, sometimes it's very difficult not to exceed the speed limits on dual carriageways/motorways (and ONLY dual carriageways/motorways) - especially when some idiot is sodomising your car in order to get you to speed up. Anyone who drives regularly on dual carriageways/motorways will surely understand/agree.
    So you exceed the limit when someone is behind you on the motorway? I can only assume you were in the inside lane (as obviously simply moving to the inside lane would have solved your problem without 'forcing' you to speed), so you should have no need whatsoever to be forced into speeding. Personally I make a point of actually slowing down when someone is doing that behind me.

There have been times where I've actually had to take my foot off the accelerator completely in order to stop myself from going slightly over the speed limit. I drive a 1.2 litre - now imagine how difficult it is for the driver of a 2 litre.

I drive a 2 litre, and have driven up to a 2.8litre on the duel carriageway and have never had any problems with staying on the speed limit....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

LOL, the amount of bandwagon jumpers in this thread is fooking ridiculous!

And gg for the bannage of DesF... that whole chirade was completely ridiculous and over the top. An excuse for a waffley versatile BIG MAN bull**** assault, eh? I don't think anyone (including myself) that doesn't drive has any right to critique somebody else that has been on the road for x amount of years.

So I say speed on, yon limit breakers. But don't ever say you weren't warned. ;)

kyub wrote: »

And gg for the bannage of DesF... that whole chirade was completely ridiculous and over the top. An excuse for a waffley versatile BIG MAN bull**** assault, eh? I don't think anyone (including myself) that doesn't drive has any right to critique somebody else that has been on the road for x amount of years.

So I say speed on, yon limit breakers. But don't ever say you weren't warned? ;)[/quote}

Funny man...... hope it doesnt happen, but i wonder will you still be saying that when someone close to you ends up 6 feet under because of a crash

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

So I say speed on, yon limit breakers. But don't ever say you weren't warned? ;)

Been following this thread for the last few hours but never felt the need to post until this idiotic comment. It's actually a crime that someone educated enough to use a computer, posts a comment like this.

donnaille wrote: »
    Been following this thread for the last few hours but never felt the need to post until this idiotic comment. It's actually a crime that someone educated enough to use a computer, posts a comment like this.

Actually, I think you'll find it's not a crime. lolz :)

ps. I've edited my original post as I was making a statement, not asking a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

the only reason its not an instant ban is that the govenrment and coppers make money off of it all.

Personally anyone drink driving or speeding ecessively (say >10miles over limit to give some flexability) should be banned for 5 years.

our economy would collapse (oh wait its doing that anyway :pac:) but it would mean that public transport would have to be made available at a reasonable cost

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Actually, I think you'll find it's not a crime. lolz :)

Road traffic act 1996 i think it is S52 S53 Dangerous/Dangerous and careless driving beg to differ, are criminal offences.

Read the posts again. I wasn't referring to driving or any driving laws/violations.

• Advertisement

kyub,what kind of car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Actually, I think you'll find it's not a crime. lolz

ps. I've edited my original post as I was making a statement, not asking a question.
    Congratulations on finding the edit key kyub. I'll refrain from using figures of speech around you in future, clearly you misunderstood me.

kyub,what kind of car do you drive?

I don't drive, hence my original post.
    donnaille wrote: »
    Congratulations on finding the edit key kyub. I'll refrain from using figures of speech around you in future, clearly you misunderstood me.

Figure of speech eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

I have to say, some of the people here who don't seem to question the speed limits in certain cases and have this black and white view of dangerous driving being 1km over the speed limit scare me a little. They seem to be the type of people who's opinion would change very easily if the speed limit was brought up from 30km to 40km in an area. It was dangerous to drive at 31km before but 40km is alright now because the goverment say so.

I'd love to live my life in the illision of safety that the goverement's and associated bodies choices about our safetly are always correct and should be followed to the exact without question. How far I wonder could the laws be pushed without outcry from them.

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    I have to say, some of the people here who don't seem to question the speed limits in certain cases and have this black and white view of dangerous driving being 1km over the speed limit scare me a little. They seem to be the type of people who's opinion would change very easily if the speed limit was brought up from 30km to 40km in an area. It was dangerous to drive at 31km before but 40km is alright now because the goverment say so.

I'd love to live my life in the illision of safety that the goverement's and associated bodies choices about our safetly are always correct and should be followed to the exact without question. How far I wonder could the laws be pushed without outcry from them.

+1. EXACTLY. People need to realise that they are operating a large chunk of metal and plastic at high speeds. Just because the Road Safety monkeys tell you all you're not going to kill someone or yourself when driving the speed limit doesn't mean it's true.

Seriously get a grip on yourselves.

Yeah, very well put Tarzan_man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

If somebody wants to speed let them, if they think drink driving is ok that's fine with me. However if they come on here justifying either action that's were there's a problem.

If they think that having crashed or ran someone over or being caught by the guards and adding a miniscule percentile to all our insurance premiums can be excused with a whine of "it's fine, I'm usually far more responsible" or "I blacked out and drove home", then all I can say is tough shit and I hope the judge rapes your license.

Not to sound about a 100 years of age but don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Also Irishbird, when I'm on a motorway in the left lane and someone starts pushing in behind me I usually take my foot of the accelerator and let the car slow down more. Don't brake because that's pretty dangerous just let your car slow right down. Ignorant, bullying pricks will usually try and overtake rather than intimidate if don't see instant results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I don't like aggressive drivers either, but you do meet some really ignorant and selfish crawlers too.

/OT
    TBH, I'm still in shock over DesF's comments, I can't believe he flew off the handle so easily, especially for a guy who doesn't drive. How the hell does he know anything about speeding if he's not a driver? How can he judge what speeds are safe for others?

:confused:

I really like the guy, but wow.

+1. EXACTLY. People need to realise that they are operating a large chunk of metal and plastic at high speeds. Just because the Road Safety monkeys tell you all you're not going to kill someone or yourself when driving the speed limit doesn't mean it's true.

Seriously get a grip on yourselves.

u cant seem to put a decent point together unless its jumping on some1 else's comments.

If some1 really has a genuine reason to increase the speeds across the board in this country that outweighs the safety benifits of keeping them low i would love to hear it

people were throwing figures of 150km around earlier(if i remember correctly)

Tarzan_man wrote: »

people were throwing figures of 150km around earlier(if i remember correctly) . a hell of a lot more than 1/2 km over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dinter wrote: »
    If somebody wants to speed let them, if they think drink driving is ok that's fine with me. However if they come on here justifying either action that's were there's a problem.
    Given that the focus of this thread has turned towards me, I'll make an assumption that you are referring to me there.
    Might I ask you to please re-read my posts before taking your seat on the bandwagon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement