Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught drink driving what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

seandugg wrote: »
    u cant seem to put a decent point together unless its jumping on some1 else's comments.

If some1 really has a genuine reason to increase the speeds across the board in this country that outweighs the safety benifits of keeping them low i would love to hear it

people were throwing figures of 150km around earlier(if i remember correctly)

people were throwing figures of 150km around earlier(if i remember correctly) . a hell of a lot more than 1/2 km over the limit.

You can't seem to put a decent post together.

tbh, I reckon the only way to really stop drink driving and/or speeding is to do the following:

1. Breathalyzer/immobilizer built into all cars
    2. Speed limiter built into all cars with set top speeds for motorways/rural areas/suburban areas etc.

Neither are going to happen for a looong time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I hereby admit to having driven at speeds ranging between 130 - 180 km/h twice daily for a year during my commute to work.

Having admitted this, I feel it is now time to tender my resignation as motors mod.

I would like to suggest Gay Byrne as my successor.

* post may contain traces of irony

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kyub wrote: »
    tbh, I reckon the only way to really stop drink driving and/or speeding is to do the following:

1. Breathalyzer/immobilizer built into all cars
    2. Speed limiter built into all cars with set top speeds for motorways/rural areas/suburban areas etc.

Neither are going to happen for a looong time though.
    Probably because both have shown to be unworkable/bypassable.

. a hell of a lot more than 1/2 km over the limit.

Personally I never go over 150kmh or even get close to it, but on the open duel carriageway I often drift over 120 to about 130* ish, along with the majority of other motorists. It is safer to all travel at a similar speed than to have the odd one doing 80 and another doing 160 (a very dangerous situation!). Driving with the flow of the traffic even if it's a few km's over the limit is safer than acting like a mobile chicane.

*don't forget that car speedos can read up to 10% high (120 on the speedo is in reality 108 on the road - look at your satnav)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

kbannon wrote: »
    Given that the focus of this thread has turned towards me, I'll make an assumption that you are referring to me there.
    Might I ask you to please re-read my posts before taking your seat on the bandwagon!

Might I ask that you don't try and martyr yourself with my post.

It's pretty obvious from even a cursory reading of your posts that you are not justifying drink driving hence my distinction.

If it was focused on you you can bet it would have had your name on it.

Sheesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    I have to say, some of the people here who don't seem to question the speed limits in certain cases and have this black and white view of dangerous driving being 1km over the speed limit scare me a little. They seem to be the type of people who's opinion would change very easily if the speed limit was brought up from 30km to 40km in an area. It was dangerous to drive at 31km before but 40km is alright now because the goverment say so.

I'd love to live my life in the illision of safety that the goverement's and associated bodies choices about our safetly are always correct and should be followed to the exact without question. How far I wonder could the laws be pushed without outcry from them.

I cannot recall anyone saying these limits are correct or even anyone believing 1km over the limit is a crime, you seem to be missing the point here. The limits are in place as a guideline to the maximum speed one should travel.

Are you honestly under the impression that you should drive at 100km just because thats the limit? You use your own judgement while including road conditions and weather conditions etc into deciding on what speed to drive at. I hope you're another non driver throwing around stupid statements because I was sure you needed at least a small amount of this knowledge to pass a driving test in this country.

Laws are made to protect citizens in this country and while that may not always seem clear that they provide this, can you imagine if there was no laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

peasant wrote: »
    I hereby admit to having driven at speeds ranging between 130 - 180 km/h twice daily for a year during my commute to work.

Having admitted this, I feel it is now time to tender my resignation as motors mod.

I would like to suggest Gay Byrne as my successor.

* post may contain traces of irony

If ye want it to be a piss take we'll make a piss take out of it, but I was treating it seriously. Have any of ye ever come across lumps of brain belonging to a motorbiker scattered for 70 yards over a road. Thats pretty funny too peasant

Edit: for spelling

kbannon wrote: »
    Given that the focus of this thread has turned towards me, I'll make an assumption that you are referring to me there.
    Might I ask you to please re-read my posts before taking your seat on the bandwagon!

The focus isnt on you at all kbannon, its on the dead 20 year olds that get pulled out of ditches every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

people were throwing figures of 150km around earlier(if i remember correctly) . a hell of a lot more than 1/2 km over the limit.

There are too many variables I think to make a blanket statement that X speed is crazy and stupid. People have different cars with different levels of performance all over (ie. brakes, acceleration, handling) A car driving at 79km within the speed limit may not be breaking a law but the car itself and the drive may not be competent to control the situation should anything happen. While someone driving a high performance car and years of experiance down a motorway at 150/160km might be less of a danger because they can handle it.

I am not condoning speeding in anyway here, I'm simply saying that when someone breaks the limit they aren't automatically killers, or suicidal drivers and maniacs. It depends too much on the car, conditons, driver etc etc to make such a statement. Once their over the limit however it's illegal and they've got to take all that into account, they is a chance they will be caught etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If ye want it to be a piss take we'll make a piss take out of it, but I was treating it seriously. Have any of ye ever come across lumps of brain belonging to a motorbiker scattered for 70 yards over a road.

Yes, and I've attended scores of accidents this year alone. Nearly all related to incompetent drivers traveling at or below the limit, as well as the occasional mad speeder (160 kph upwards) that lost control and hit a few trees. (Nasty stuff TBH) When you consider the scaremongers have more or less won over the brain-dead, its ridiculous that they still manage to kill themselves in the same numbers while observing the limit.

How dare they. If they drove over the limit at least we could use that as our sacrificial lamb.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If ye want it to be a piss take we'll make a piss take out of it, but I was treating it seriously. Have any of ye ever come across lumps of brain belonging to a motorbiker scattered for 70 yards over a road. Thats pretty funny too peasant

I've come across too many accidents for my liking, and no, they're not funny.

I've also not had an accident since 1991, despite having driven for a year (1997 to precise) at speeds between 130 - 180 km/h twice a day.

Speed and safe speed a two different issues.

And before you explode with rage ..the 180 km/h was done on a German motorway

No, but I have come across the remains of a reliant Robin that flipped (at below the speed limit) and disintegrated in the middle of the road, leaving four people very badly injured.

There are too many variables I think to make a blanket statement that X speed is crazy and stupid. People have different cars with different levels of performance all over (ie. brakes, acceleration, handling) A car driving at 79km within the speed limit may not be breaking a law but the car itself and the drive may not be competent to control the situation should anything happen. While someone driving a high performance car and years of experiance down a motorway at 150/160km might be less of a danger because they can handle it.

I am not condoning speeding in anyway here, I'm simply saying that when someone breaks the limit they aren't automatically killers, or suicidal drivers and maniacs. It depends too much on the car, conditons, driver etc etc to make such a statement. Once their over the limit however it's illegal and they've got to take all that into account, they is a chance they will be caught etc etc.

I see your point, but not all drivers are as good and can handle the speeds they think they can.

You cannot have one speed for one person and another for a different person. Everybody must obey the law, simple as that. no ifs or buts.

What happens when the 'experienced' driver thinks he can handle driving at 100 in a 80 zone and something unexpected happens on the road as he's going round a bend?

donnaille wrote: »
    I cannot recall anyone saying these limits are correct or even anyone believing 1km over the limit is a crime,

It is a crime.

[QOUTE]you seem to be missing the point here. The limits are in place as a guideline to the maximum speed one should travel.[/QUOTE]

Ofcourse they are, Never argued that. I'm simply saying there is margin for error.
    Are you honestly under the impression that you should drive at 100km just because thats the limit? You use your own judgement while including road conditions and weather conditions etc into deciding on what speed to drive at. I hope you're another non driver throwing around stupid statements because I was sure you needed at least a small amount of this knowledge to pass a driving test in this country.

Agree. Never argued that point. I'm and L driver thanks for asking.
    Laws are made to protect citizens in this country and while that may not always seem clear that they provide this, can you imagine if there was no laws?

And sometimes they can be wrong aswell. They're made by people which means a margin for error. Annarchy I presume.

I'm glad to see you do include all these conditions when deciding on what speed to drive. I'm also glad to see that I can drive in my high powered car at 160km/h and never have to worry about crashing because of my years of experience. Great I'm not going to miss the first 3 minutes of home and away tonight now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dudess wrote: »
    Such abuse is utterly indefensible - I'm truly taken aback by it.

In KBannon's defence, sometimes it's very difficult not to exceed the speed limits on dual carriageways/motorways (and ONLY dual carriageways/motorways) - especially when some idiot is sodomising your car in order to get you to speed up. Anyone who drives regularly on dual carriageways/motorways will surely understand/agree.

However the drunk driving you did (sometimes "polluted") - my god, can't believe you admitted it...

With all due respect ( i love that saying ), i can see exactly where DesF is coming from. I only wish i wasn't such a ****ing twat as to worry about getting banned from AH.

2 years ago my uncle was killed, as he walked down the street, by some cnut who jumped the kerb because he was going too fast.

In his defence "i always did it....never had an accident before". If he had been traveling within the speed limit i could forgive the prick, but he wasn't.

If your going over the speed limit you are putting lives at risk.....people are assuming cars will travel a certain distance at a certain speed.....my uncle was killed on a perfectly straight road walking on the opposite side of the road on the foot path in the same direction the vehicle was traveling in.

Next time anyone decides to up the speed think about that one. If something goes wrong you will not be able to react in time and may kill yourself ( which i wouldn't worry about too much ) or some poor innocent bastard out for a ****ing stroll.

For me it's as simple as this....if you are driving within the speed limit and something happens then so be it, you were doing what you could.

If you are driving over the speed limit and something happens then you're a cnut.

So **** you speeding assholes. Each and every one of you. If you would like to think that is Personal Abuse then ****ing roll with it.

What happens when the 'experienced' driver thinks he can handle driving at 100 in a 80 zone and something unexpected happens on the road as he's going round a bend?

He slows down before going around the bend!

He's not very experienced then, is he?

No responsible driver just decides one day "Y'know what? I should up my speed by 20 kph and see how it goes!!"

We only drive within the limits of our car and our skill. To do otherwise is stupid.

And to Seandugg, Hence why they are there. I was simply stating that different speeds in different cars. I never called for Individualizing the speedlimits. Infact I said in the last paragraph that they are still breaking the law.

Dragan wrote: »
    2 years ago my uncle was killed, as he walked down the street, by some cnut who jumped the kerb because he was going too fast..

With all due respect, (You're right, I like it too!) your uncle wasn't (I imagine) walking along a dual carriageway or motorway!

Nobody can defend speeding in towns and cities with built-up areas (footpaths etc) or excessive speed on back roads.

We're talking more about main roads and motorways.

My condolences regarding your uncle though :(

• Advertisement

He's not very experienced then, is he?

No responsible driver just decides one day "Y'know what? I should up my speed by 20 kph and see how it goes!!"

We only drive within the limits of our car and our skill. To do otherwise is stupid.

Once again what people think their skill level is, and what it is in reality is the problem. Thats why as long a people still stay, "im experienced"
    or "i can handle the speed, iv driven like this for years" there will be carnage.

Am I right or wrong?

It is a crime.

It isn't a crime that will be punished, this is where your "margin for error" comes in.

I'm glad to see you do include all these conditions when deciding on what speed to drive.

Thanks.
    I'm also glad to see that I can drive in my high powered car at 160km/h and never have to worry about crashing because of my years of experience.

I said high performance car. If you have years of experiance I would of hope you know that crashing is always a possibility. And would drive at a speed you could handle to have control over such things not if possible happening
    Great I'm not going to miss the first 3 minutes of home and away tonight now!

Good news all round then.

Once again what people think their skill level is, and what it is in reality is the problem. Thats why as long a people still stay, "im experienced"
    or "i can handle the speed, iv driven like this for years" there will be carnage.

Am I right or wrong?

Neither (or both! ;)), you are simplifying a complex issue. Some people are naturally gifted drivers. Some are not, they might lack the spatial reasoning or reflexes of others. Some have had advanced training, some have their licenses from an amnesty.

It's the idiots who confuse ability and experience with testosterone and boy-racer exhausts.

With all due respect, (You're right, I like it too!) your uncle wasn't (I imagine) walking along a dual carriageway or motorway!

Nobody can defend speeding in towns and cities with built-up areas (footpaths etc) or excessive speed on back roads.

We're talking more about main roads and motorways.

My condolences regarding your uncle though :(

With all due respect again, if we are talking about motorways...

The motorway speed is 120 for a reason. The roads are simply not designed to take more speed than this(too many exit/entry ramps). I take the point that higher speeds are safe on the german autobahns etc nbut those roads were designed to take those speeds, the irish motorways were not.

I read this a few days ago so ill try dig out the link for ye

It is a crime.
    you seem to be missing the point here. The limits are in place as a guideline to the maximum speed one should travel.

Ofcourse they are, Never argued that. I'm simply saying there is margin for error.

Agree. Never argued that point. I'm and L driver thanks for asking.

And sometimes they can be wrong aswell. They're made by people which means a margin for error. Annarchy I presume.

At least there is no hope of you breaking the limit so as your responsible full licensed driver will be accompanying you.:D

Neither (or both! ;)), you are simplifying a complex issue. Some people are naturally gifted drivers. Some are not, they might lack the spatial reasoning or reflexes of others. Some have had advanced training, some have their licenses from an amnesty.

It's the idiots who confuse ability and experience with testosterone and boy-racer exhausts.

so how can you create a law which takes into account the minority of good drivers and keeps the majority who are not at a safe speed?

I dont think you can which is why everyone needs to stick to the limits

he motorway speed is 120 for a reason.

Motorways are built with 30% tolerance values of the maximum, thus the speed can indeed be increased to 160 kph if they so desire.

Pakistani motorways (not as refined as ours) are posted as 140 kph, perfectly within safety tolerances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would imagine the same thing that would happen to an inexperienced driver driving at 100 in a 100 zone when it was not safe to do so.

The experienced driver has the advantage of not being brainwashed into thinking the limit is 'safe'.

• Advertisement

It isn't a crime that will be punished

That is up to the person enforcing the law. If they deemed it an honest mistake or not a danger to drive a little over the limit.
    This is where your "margin for error" comes in.

My margin for error was about the goverment choosing speeds for certain roads. EG. 80km/hr on a small country road, and as Dudess had another example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement