Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom extractor fans advise please

Options
  • 07-06-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm looking at installing an extractor fan in my ensuite and main bathroom (both upstairs).

I'd prefer to bring it up through the roof and out the soffit rather than drilling through the wall.

Can I do this myself? Are there any recommended types of fan? I couldn't find any on the Atlantic/B&Q/Woodies sites.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if your goin trough the attic and out to the soffet ied recomend a 4'' inline extractor kit. the fan itself fixes to a joist in the attic and section of 4'' hose comes from a vent in the bathroom ceiling to the extractor and then another section of hose goes from the extractor to a vent in the soffet. the fact the fan is in the attic and not fixed directly to the bathroom ceiling makes it much quieter and a neater install as all you can see is a flush 4'' vent. all elec wholesalers would do them and i think there about 30 euro but dont quote me. we do deta type and heres a pic of what they sort of look like.
    http://www.diynot.com/wiki/_media/projects:wetroom:loft_extractor_fan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just fitted a piggin soffit vent yesterday. I don't know whether this is normal, but the soffit was about a meter from the side of the attic, meaning I had to perform gymnastics to fit the flex-tube onto the vent. Pulled a muscle in my neck in doing so... :(

Advertisement