Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I wait for new superb?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I have to get a new company car, 35k to be spent, I have managed to wait until July, but now I am wondering should i wait till Skoda release their Superb.

If not its a Passat, Mondeo or C5 choice, which at the moment the 2.0 tdci Mondeo is winning because of the standard kit.

Your views please.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

citroen c5 defo best looking car in that class and the newest out

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So far of the photos I've seen of the new Superb, it's no looker. In fact I would call it an odd looking car from certain angles, would not be my cup of tea anyway. Also the current one looks very dated now.

Since it is a company that is paying for the car I would probably opt for the C5 as it is different and will be a pretty much rare sight on Irish roads compared to the Mondeo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

the new skoda superb looks awful the older model was a far better looking car if i had 35k id be looking at the new honda accord.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/2.0-I/1043482/

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

markos79 wrote: »
    the new skoda superb looks awful the older model was a far better looking car if i had 35k id be looking at the new honda accord.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/2.0-I/1043482/

New Accord is not being released till Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The new Mondeo is a great car. Go drive one!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    So far of the photos I've seen of the new Superb, it's no looker. In fact I would call it an odd looking car from certain angles, would not be my cup of tea anyway....Since it is a company that is paying for the car I would probably opt for the C5 as it is different and will be a pretty much rare sight on Irish roads compared to the Mondeo anyway.

Gotta agree with this, provided the C5 you can get has the hydropneumatic suspension (if not, don't bother). Is an Alfa Romeo 159 an option? If so, go for the Alfa :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    The new Mondeo is a great car. Go drive one!

Gotta agree with this, provided the C5 you can get has the hydropneumatic suspension (if not, don't bother). Is an Alfa Romeo 159 an option? If so, go for the Alfa :)

Unfortunately Alfa Romeo are generally off alot of company's fleet listings. Not warranted these days imo but accountants control the company purse strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

Depends on what your after. If looks where the most important factor I'd recommend the C5. But i am a fan of Superbs, reliable, massive size, good diesel engines, and I think its looks are fine. Wouldn't call it amazingly goodlooking but then again rarely does a family saloon appeal to me asthetically. So in a nutshell +1 for the skoda.

2008-skoda-superb-4wheelsblog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

Just browsing and looked at the this thread. Clicked into the Superb Gallery and correct me if I am wrong here but the interior, dash layout, switchgear looks identical to my 97 Passat Estate.

The instument panel is new and the chrome surrounds lift the look. Now don't get me wrong but if its made from the the same materials as the 97 I have its not a bad thing. 130k miles and not a rattle, mark, dent, rip or scratch. Even the Climatronic looks the same.

Anyway - they are all nice cars, for me it would be the Superb or Mondeo. C5 looks great but their past history would rule it out. Probably the superb would nudge ahead, pity they don't do an estate version - sorry I'm a pratical muppet.

Thanks for the replies.

I drove the Mondeo for aweek in the UK. It is agreat car, but I think its looks might be starting to date.

I agree that the C5 is a reel looker but inside has quite alot of dark plastics and I felt it was a bit harsh over some speed bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

+1 for the Superb.

I agree with ramanujan. But if your only after looks/style, go for the C5. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mazda 6?

R.O.R wrote: »
    Mazda 6?

I took one for good spin, didnt like it (although I wanted to).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

FYI according to a conversation I had with a dealer, the new Superb is due to be launched at the Ploughing Championships, which is around the end of September.

I have the current Superb, but am reserving judgement on the new one until I see it in the metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

35K would get you a C5 2.0HDI Exclusive which is a stunning car with every toy you could wish for, supremely comfortable and so stylish with it. Only concerns would be depreciation and reliability. If you plan on holding onto it for a few years (and why would you want to change) then the C5 is a clear winner in my books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

35k Would Get You A C5 2.0hdi Exclusive Which Is A Stunning Car With Every Toy You Could Wish For, Supremely Comfortable And So Stylish With It. Only Concerns Would Be Depreciation And Reliability. If You Plan On Holding Onto It For A Few Years (and Why Would You Want To Change) Then The C5 Is A Clear Winner In My Books.

+2

Advertisement