Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to switch off passenger airbag on a ...

Options
  • 07-06-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

... '08 Zafira.

A friend was stopped at a garda check-point today, who proceeded to lecture them that the rear-facing car seat must be in the front seat, not the back, and even said that in future the passenger in the front seat swaps into the back.

so, some questions:
    1. As a parent of infants, I've never heard this of this law. It seems bizzare

2. How do they switch off the airbag on their Zafira? I checked their car just now and when you open the passenger door there is a glaring picture sticker saying 'no rear-facing child seats'.
    That said, I would have thought it was possible in a family MPV

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I assume you mean that the rear facing car seat must be in the back?

<edit> Unless of course the Garda in question really got it backwards himself! (not unheard of)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Is not possible in a zafira. Even with opel diagnostic computer it is not. a forward facing seat must be fitted in the middle row of seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

i think that garda has lost the plot,weird mofo!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

jayok wrote: »
    I assume you mean that the rear facing car seat must be in the back?

<edit> Unless of course the Garda in question really got it backwards himself! (not unheard of)

thanks jayok, yep I mean rear-facing child seat. I've edited the post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well if that's the case then the rear-facing car must be in the back when there is an active airbag in the front. For cars without and airbag or one you can turn off the car seat can be put in the front. The the problem with airbags and rear facing cars seats in the front is the risk of the exploding back causing an opposite force onto the seat and baby seriously damaging the baby's fragile neck.

Re the law and the like, I believe the law states that kiddies under 12 or 150cm must be in the back. After this the can sit up the front. Not sure what this means though for cars with a 3 + 3 formation (e.g. Honda FRV and Fiat Multipa). Can a child sit in the middle seat up the front?

BUT having said this the safest place for all kids is in the back. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jayok wrote: »
    Well if that's the case then the rear-facing car must be in the back when there is an active airbag in the front

Indeed. And even if there is no active airbag in the front, the infant in the rear facing car seat is safer in the back

OP, can you double check the story with your friend and come back to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    OP, can you double check the story with your friend and come back to us?

as regards the Gardai, its exactly as above; she said it was herself and her mum; the guard was actually looking to get her mum to swap into the back seats there and then on the side of the road, but as she was going just up the road he let it go.

As regards the opel, from the posts above and also the glaring warning sticker, it looks like its not possible to turn off the air-bag.

As she said, 'what if I had twins?' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

sk8board wrote: »
    As she said, 'what if I had twins?' :)

Then they could have gotten a suitable car - she's in an 08 car, so it's not as if she can't afford to get the most suitable car for her kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Since I have the rules of the road link open:
    • Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat.
    • Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles.
    • Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts.
    • A rearward-facing child car seat must not be used in the front passenger seat of cars with active airbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Zube has it right, see also this video from the RSA. That garda sounds like a right pratt.

http://www.rsa.ie/childsafetyincars/procontent/KNOW_THE_NEW_LAW/KNOW_THE_NEW_LAW/WATCH_THE_MOVIE.html

Strange that the front passenger side airbag cannot be turned off, even by an Opel garage, major oversight on Opels part, or maybe just cost cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

ye is a bit odd that they didnt include the option considering the zafira is mainly a family car for people with kids. the only opel that it is possible is the corsa d model (06-present). It can do done by using a button on the dash but only when the ignition has just been turned on and the airbag symbol is flashing in the display. any others, if the airbag was disconnected it would bring on the airbag light and the other airbags would then become useless, also, i dont think we would be allowed do this by law but im not positive on that, i just know some customers have asked about it before and we have not been able to do it for them. Perhaps future models will have it similar to the corsa.

kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sk8board wrote: »
    as regards the Gardai, its exactly as above; she said it was herself and her mum; the guard was actually looking to get her mum to swap into the back seats there and then

Did they get the name / number of the Garda? If so, I would report it to the local Garda station. Sounds to me like the Garda has just got the facts wrong. We all make mistakes and your call might prevent the Garda from giving wrong advice to other people in the future

Advertisement