Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imperium - Robert Harris

Options
  • 07-06-2008 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Just finished a very good book recently called "Imperium" by Robert Harris. The books main character is Cicero and concerns his early career until the point at which he becomes a consul of Rome.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on the book were?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Just finished a very good book recently called "Imperium" by Robert Harris. The books main character is Cicero and concerns his early career until the point at which he becomes a consul of Rome.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on the book were?

I wasn't that impresssed with it, it had interesting bits but I felt it jumped too far between past and future without filling in the gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

copacetic wrote: »
    I wasn't that impresssed with it, it had interesting bits but I felt it jumped too far between past and future without filling in the gaps.
    I think there may be more books concerning the rest of Cicero's career so I assume they will fill in the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Read it a while back, I really enjoyed it....probably because I wasn't expecting much from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I liked it a lot and enjoyed Pompeii even more. Robert Harris' best book is Fatherland I think. Well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Agree, Fatherland is amazing. Roibert Harris is a brilliant writer. I loved archangel as well and pompeii. Enigma was quite good too. Imperium is actually my least favourite of his books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lizzykins wrote: »
    I liked it a lot and enjoyed Pompeii even more. Robert Harris' best book is Fatherland I think. Well worth the read.
    + 1.

The two Roman books were an interesting insight into the times. But Fatherland was the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

What I liked so much about it was that it was not by any means sensationalist in it's treatment of an alternative outcome to the war. It was so low key and that made it all the more disturbing. I wouldn't mind reading it again and I rarely go back to novels a second time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lizzykins wrote: »
    What I liked so much about it was that it was not by any means sensationalist in it's treatment of an alternative outcome to the war.
    Similar to "The Man in the High Castle", but with a decent plot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Pompeii was a great book, loved it. Dealt with Roman culture more than politics. Rome seemed kinda depressing to live in rather than how it comes across on tilivision. (Im thinking HBO's Rome. Great tv show, slightly unrealistic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Great book
    Read it in Italy so double the fun...

• Advertisement
Advertisement