Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying 1st horse

• 07-06-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am currently buying a horse which I will be keeping in full livery :). I am a novice rider and a little nervous. I found a horse I really liked and found her easy to ride. She is a 15.3h white mare, 15 years old and is for sale at €1,800. She is 100% bombproof and in great condition.
    I need your help. I am getting worried as some people are saying she is way too old and I would be lucky to get a few years out of her and could not jump her. Is this true, is 15 yrs old past it in horse terms? The reason I was getting her was I know she is safe and would ideal to learn on. Will I really only get a few years out of her?:(
    Advise wanted please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Some horses are still going strong in their late twenties. I used to ride a 22 y/o mare who looked and acted like an eight year old!
    as long as she passed a vetting, doesn't have a sway back etc then she should keep going strong for a good few years yet. sure, young horses can be out of work anytime due to injury etc. anyway. the main thing is to get a nice, quiet but forward going horse that you can feel safe on and learn to ride on. good luck! :)

OP, if you are a novice, then find someone who is knowledgable about horses and would be able to give you good advice. Every horse is different, I know of horses who are point-to-pointing and are older than 15 while at the same time I have seen horses who are 4 and unable to compete.

When you get a bit of experience you will be able to see these things yourself, but in the meantime I would recommend that you bring someone along who you trust to view the horse.

OP: just a tip; horses are never white, but rather they are 'grey'. They are also never brown, but rather 'chestnut'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

It depends on the horse. Some horses are still young at 15. I had a point-to-pointer who was still racing at 15; Pizarro is quite 'old' and is still point-to-pointing successfully. I also had a TB mare who was too small to race and I was still eventing and show jumping her at 18 and she was more active than horses who were much younger.

Generally, most horses don't start to 'mature' until they are about 10, at which point they've got 'sense' and know what's expected of them in competition. Most top eventers and show jumping horses are at least 8.

As Zaraba said, if you know somebody to whom you could talk about it, it would be fantastic. That way they could advise you with regards to what exactly you need.

Best of luck!

Advertisement