Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanatophobia taking over my life.. please help!

• 07-06-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

so i just found out the name for this.. i have this overwhelming fear of dying apparently its called Thanatophobia. it is something i now think of everyday. i have this intense pain in my chest and feel like im about to drop dead at any minute. its making me miserable. i think its all probably anxiety related but i cant stop this niggling feeling that something is desperately wrong no matter how many people tell me its just anxiety. i think it all started when some of my very close family members died/got very illl and it made me intensly aware of my own mortality.. could anybody shed any light on this or tips on how to just get over it?????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I have this too. It's really sucky. I have gotten a lot better recently though. You have to keep telling yourself that these pains are just panic attack symptoms. I have gone to A&E because of this kind of thing a few times and they always tell me to calm down and just breath slowly and deeply.

I used to think about death almost all day, every day and I still do from time to time but it's not so bad anymore. I don't know exactly why I'm more relaxed these days so I don't have much advice to offer but I do know that once I started to tackle my fear of flying, everything became a lot easier to deal with and I feel much more in control and much stronger.

I went to a therapist as well and it did me a lot of good I reckon. I would suggest you talk to someone and explore your fear a bit more. You have to know your fears from all angles before you can start to get rid of them imo.

Advertisement