Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with word doc

• 08-06-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

please help i dont have microsoft office so i got open office freebie
    but now i cant open any word documents or say if i type something save it and e mail to someone they cant open it
    i realise it is prob some setting somewhere but i have no idea where to start really need some help as i have an interview tues and really need to get a copy of my cv which is stored in my email account but i cant open it now on my computer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

WHEN USING OPEN oFFICE, it saves the files by default to .osd and osx I think

If you us the file suld be ok, save as option you should be ok

it should be able to open all MS word files, unless the files you are trying to open are .docx format ( office 2007)

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

You need to save your OpenOffice documents as Word compatible.
    In OpenOffice:
    Go to File - Save As
    At the bottom of the window that pops up you will see "Save as type"
    Select Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) from the drop down menu.
    Enter a filename and save.

OpenOffice will not open docx files but you should be able to find a docx to doc converter. Google is your friend in ths case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To be blunt , if your CV is in DOCX format a lot of employers aren't going to be able to open it either. PITA having to install the convertor and service pack for the convertor on machines because microsoft have changed the rules yet again.

Unless it has special formatting then you can save a .RTF ( rich text format ) or .DOC ( microsoft word 97-2003, which office 95 and earlier won't read but not such a big problem now as it was back in 1997 )

when you save your CV from your email to your desktop what type of file does it say it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To be blunt , if your CV is in DOCX format a lot of employers aren't going to be able to open it either. PITA having to install the convertor and service pack for the convertor on machines because microsoft have changed the rules yet again.

Unless it has special formatting then you can save a .RTF ( rich text format ) or .DOC ( microsoft word 97-2003, which office 95 and earlier won't read but not such a big problem now as it was back in 1997 )

when you save your CV from your email to your desktop what type of file does it say it is ?
    they just fighting to beat-off Open Office's cross compatibility or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Overheal wrote: »
    they just fighting to beat-off Open Office's cross compatibility or something?
    That and to make us upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it was worse back in '97 because not everyone had the internets and it took longer to get the updates :mad:

Advertisement