Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mileage Checking

Options
  • 08-06-2008 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know there is an awful lot of posts about miles, and after scouring through them I still can't find an answer. I bought a vw car off a garage but found out it had 2 previous owners, not one like he said. Its 2005 and has a mileage of 63000 miles. It was bought up north and i can't do a hpi check for because their only done for south and uk. So long story short is dere such a 'machine' of some sort in a vw garage that can check my true mileage to put my mind at ease? Excue the :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you get a documented service history with the car?

If so you could ring the garages where the car was serviced and stamped, they will have a record of the service on their computer including the mileage at the time.

Doing a quick google I came across this crowd: http://www.nitradesales.co.uk/27660/hpi.htm

Don't know anything about them though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can still do a HPI check.

Why are you only checking the history out now, after you've bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

y on earth would u buy a 3 yr old car with 63000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

guil07 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you buy a 3 year old car with 63000 miles

Why on earth not ? If the price is right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I wasn't intending to buy, went with a friend and saw it. Thought, ya its from a garage with a warranty at a good price but my friend and i agreed afterwards that the salesman seemed creepy. I know that sounds stupid but he told stupid little white lies that we clicked onto to. I'd like to bring it to a vw garage and have it checked. Can they plug something into the ECU to check it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The milleage on a car is recorded in three different locations on the car, so not just the odometer.

Bring the car to a authorised VW dealer, and they should clarify the correct milleage for you. I would ring them first to verify that they have the equipment to do the check.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joy123

hi, you can check it by vag-com, the real mileage suppose to be stored in the ECU , so anybody have a vag-com software and a wire to connect , they can hooked up with your can and tell you what is the real mileage,

Advertisement