Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Issues and Google

Options
  • 08-06-2008 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,232 ✭✭✭✭

I thought PI was protected in some way from being searched via google? When did that change?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Isn't PI a public forum? I can view it as a guest (without logging in) so I imagine that it's normal that Goggle can see it.

The Sex and Sexuality forum is private and protected against searches.

I can't say if it was different in the past (regarding google).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Ponster wrote: »
    Isn't PI a public forum? I can view it as a guest (without logging in) so I imagine that it's normal that Goggle can see it.

The Sex and Sexuality forum is private and protected against searches.

I can't say if it was different in the past (regarding google).

you can even post in it without logging in

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There are a couple of reasons that PI isn't protected against Google.

1) PI would need to be in a different directory (I think) to then tell the robots not to allow access it. I think that's how it works!

2) There isn't any point in protecting against Google, it's publically posted. It's fairly widely known that anything on the internet is available on the internet, and is able to be googled. Unless of course you have to log in to view it, like S&S.

What's wrong with PI being googled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

This is the file usually used to stop Google from viewing certain site files. I'm just guessing here but I don't think the filename's take parameters, or even if vBulletin can stop Google itself in certain parts.

Don't see anything wrong with stuff being indexed by Google, or indeed any search engine. I know there's people here, including myself who use Google to search Boards quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't see any harm in it. It is posted in public. The names are changed to protect the innocent. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would have thought you would need some sort of mod_rewrite system going on and disallow certain sub directories for it to work. Or the only other option would be to disable viewing of unregistered views to the forums (Which for obvious reasons is not going to happen) or block GoogleBot/YahooSlurp/MSNbot etc. from browsing it.

Blocking the indexing of PI would however mean people who were searching on Google/MSN/Yahoo for a problem which may have been surprisingly answered on PI would miss out as it would not appear.

More downsides to blocking PI then not blocking it imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't think that the OP is looking for a block to searcging of PI threads. He just seems to have been under the impression that at some stage in the past PI was not visable to Google and something had changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

It's great PI can be accessed through google, that's actually how I stumbled across boards. Answered a lot of questions for me then and has done ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sounds like Overheals trying to hide something.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not particularly. I was doing this: http://overheal1987.deviantart.com/journal/18722613/

and then stumbled upon some of my responses to PI threads in the process. So I was just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Overheal wrote: »
    and then stumbled upon some of my responses to PI threads in the process. So I was just wondering.
    I suppose that is a pain in the arse though. Responses on PI getting mixed up with personal/business stuff, meh...
    Thats why I always try to change my username along the net and there's other people with similar usernames so I'm not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi guys

I was just wondering are personal posts from Personal Issues not viewable in your statistics page. It looks that way as i cannot see them listed at all. I was recently contacting a Moderator from that forum and he thinks they are locked (disabled and not viewable). Why is that I wonder. Is it done on purpose or is it a glitch in the system. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi guys

I was just wondering are personal posts from Personal Issues not viewable in your statistics page. It looks that way as i cannot see them listed at all. I was recently contacting a Moderator from that forum and he thinks they are locked (disabled and not viewable). Why is that I wonder. Is it done on purpose or is it a glitch in the system. Thanks in advance.
    Only mods/subs can see them, on purpose afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for that Sherifu. I was just wondering as to why I could not view them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

nevf wrote: »
    This is the file usually used to stop Google from viewing certain site files. I'm just guessing here but I don't think the filename's take parameters, or even if vBulletin can stop Google itself in certain parts.

robots.txt wouldn't be the way to do it with vBulletin's annoying URIs, but it could be done with robots meta elements.

Don't see the point though.

Advertisement