Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Celica troubles

Options
  • 08-06-2008 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a 1996 Toyota Celica 2.0 ST (6th gen) from a dealer.

I suppose I'd better document my stupidity... I didn't get a mechanic to check it out and forgot about asking about a warranty so the sale docket says "sold as is".

When I took it out on the M50 the steering wheel shudders badly over 100kph. It has 17" light alloy wheels.
    So I'm suspecting wheel balancing, buckled wheels or tracking problems.

Any recommendations on where to get this investigated/sorted in West Dublin or city centre ? Will consider further too.

What's peoples opinion of Advance Pitstop?

cheers,
    Owen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the wheels just need balancin any tyre fitters will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had a thread here last week complimenting Advance on the Naas Road, (JFK Industrial estate) Be careful with advance though the standard varies from brance to branch. In saying that, your problem wouldn't strike me as something overly complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Cheers for the replies guys,

I'll more than likely get advance to do a full service, which includes the tyre balancing.

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Did you not notice the steering wheel shuddering during the test drive.

As far as I am aware Dealers can not sell stock "sold as seen", I might be wrong on that, is this the same as shops selling "sale" items, as in non returnable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Ring the dealer and tell him the problem. I'm sure he'll fix it for you, it's nothing major.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

kluivert wrote: »
    Did you not notice the steering wheel shuddering during the test drive.

As far as I am aware Dealers can not sell stock "sold as seen", I might be wrong on that, is this the same as shops selling "sale" items, as in non returnable?

I didn't notice the steering wheel shuddering on test drive because I never got it up to 60 mph on the Naas road in traffic. At lower speeds it's okay.

Cheers guys, yeah I suppose it won't do any harm to ring them up.
    Although at this stage I'd be a lot happier getting a third party to give it an unbiased complete check as my life depends on it.

thanks,
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irishblondebabe

HiGuys,

I'm new to this so forgive me if I don't know where to post my query to, just seen this one so thought I would start here.

I've had a nightmare with my 2001 Toyota Celica. It was a UK import. The dealer did a runner and my 6 month warrant (with NCT Warranty) wasn't worth the paper it was written on. The car had 78,000 miles on it when I bought it.

In the heel of the hunt, it had a few things wrong with it which I had to pay for myself and finally managed to pass its NCT. It did pass a compression test and all is ok there. However, it's burning motor oil at the rate of 1 litre every 2 and a half weeks! I have decided to sell it but what I want to know if anyone out there can help me is, if I want to buy another Celica (a Jap import this time), how can I be sure IT or ALL Celicas won't have the same problem of burning motor oil, as I have read some forums, that the 7th Generation do tend to use up lots of motor oil.

Thanks for any help you can give!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

HiGuys,

I'm new to this so forgive me if I don't know where to post my query to, just seen this one so thought I would start here.

I've had a nightmare with my 2001 Toyota Celica. It was a UK import. The dealer did a runner and my 6 month warrant (with NCT Warranty) wasn't worth the paper it was written on. The car had 78,000 miles on it when I bought it.

In the heel of the hunt, it had a few things wrong with it which I had to pay for myself and finally managed to pass its NCT. It did pass a compression test and all is ok there. However, it's burning motor oil at the rate of 1 litre every 2 and a half weeks! I have decided to sell it but what I want to know if anyone out there can help me is, if I want to buy another Celica (a Jap import this time), how can I be sure IT or ALL Celicas won't have the same problem of burning motor oil, as I have read some forums, that the 7th Generation do tend to use up lots of motor oil.

Thanks for any help you can give!

oil consumption on the vvti units is a problem i use castrol magnatec myself and it seems to last longer, if you are going for another celica I would go for the t sport version which as far as I know doesnt have the oil problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

However, it's burning motor oil at the rate of 1 litre every 2 and a half weeks!
    We're not psychic.. what has it been doing in the 2.5 weeks? Sitting in the driveway? Doing laps at Mondello?

Thanks Toon--soldier for the advice.

• Advertisement

Toon--Soldier

I'm probably being a defo blonde here but whats a Celica T Sport and what year? Is it a 1.8 VVTL-i Sport? Well, I'm just trying to look them up in Carzone etc.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

JHMEG wrote: »
    We're not psychic.. what has it been doing in the 2.5 weeks? Sitting in the driveway? Doing laps at Mondello?

a charming welcome to be sure. So full of wit and humour that im sure the whole motor forum is still laughing at it. jhmeg - what a t*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

a charming welcome to be sure. So full of wit and humour that im sure the whole motor forum is still laughing at it. jhmeg - what a t*t

Yup especially when it a common problem for the pre face lift 7th gen celica to use up 1 litre of oil every 600 miles or so.

Thanks Captainosull! Didn't want to comment myself! Cheers!

tuxy wrote: »
    Yup especially when it a common problem for the pre face lift 7th gen celica to use up 1 litre of oil every 600 miles or so.

Thanks for your comments too Tuxy!

Advertisement