Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis taking the piss with over charging

• 08-06-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

First of all i did say to my family that if we got taxis wed be over charged, but because we were going to a communion at benildus church we wouldnt be able to get parking etc

So reluctantly i called a taxi, the taxi that bought us to the church was reasonable enough so im going to discount him, but the fecker that bought us to my brother house did this

3.00 For the Extra Passengers

Turned out to be a fare of 13.60 once we stopped, that wasnt the best of it we were going home then, agan i said why dont we get a lift from someone, the mother said no she didnt want to disturb anyone, ring a taxi, i said your spending a fortune, oh just ring hm,

He came along and did this

4.00 for extra passengers

Now bear in mind there was me and 3 extra same as the lad that brought us out, the taxis in this town are going beyond a joke, thewy expect us all to have sympathy for them when they go on strike and start disrupting everyone, yet they have no qualms about robbing there customers blind, you make a complaint nothings ever done and believe me i have made them in the past

Someone somewhere needs to step in and regulate waterford full stop, cause as far as i can see, taxis just charge what they want when they want

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

National Taxi Fares

INITIAL CHARGE
    First 1km or 170 seconds

€3.80
    Fixed

EXTRA CHARGES (where relevant)
    Booking fee €2.00
    Second & additional passengers €1.00 each (two children under twelve equal one adult)

There was four of you travelling in each taxi yeah?

Sounds like the second guy overcharged you by €1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Look i know all about the damn taxi regulations and its great to hide behind them tbh, really good and all that, but 858585 has made a big deal about never charging the 2 euro call out charge

So please dont quote those again

thx

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    but 858585 has made a big deal about never charging the 2 euro call out charge

If you'd posted that in the first post it would have been helpful, I can't mind read over ADSL2+...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Look i know all about the damn taxi regulations and its great to hide behind them tbh, really good and all that, but 858585 has made a big deal about never charging the 2 euro call out charge

So please dont quote those again

thx

Shin

Have a little respect for others please. Your posting about being over charged and clearly the poster has proved your case wrong. Drop the attitude and ligthen up a bit, please. :)

Btw, I think most taxis are charging the call out fare now due to the rise in petrol prices. I havent heard many taxis lately claim they dont charge it and a friend of the family works with Rapid and said most drivers have to charge it as petrol is gone through the roof. Cant blame them tbh, it sure has and they drive a hell of a lot more then we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Someone somewhere needs to step in and regulate waterford full stop,

If by "regulate waterford full stop" you mean physically take these men's business and sieze it to be entirely run and regulated by the government then short sighted. They can't make a living like that. If you want a properly regulated service then get the bus.

• Advertisement

oh well another thread on taxis and way over charging falls on its arse as per ususal, oh and those that dont charge the call out charge seem to get on just fine with the soaring oil prices, its all excuses to rip people off

Sorry for bothering you all

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

National Taxi Fares

INITIAL CHARGE
    First 1km or 170 seconds

€3.80
    Fixed

EXTRA CHARGES (where relevant)
    Booking fee €2.00
    Second & additional passengers €1.00 each (two children under twelve equal one adult)

There was four of you travelling in each taxi yeah?

Sounds like the second guy overcharged you by €1.

The amount has F**k all to do with it , its still day light robbery ,
    If a cafe or a shop did this " oh the two teas are 3 euros today because Mary is on the till " we be up in arms naming and shaming,
    Overcharging is against the new regs and drivers can lose their licence over it . So report them all I Say ,
    Who knows their own union may back you as they say there are to many taxis on the road already,:D (well that's why they striking )

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

oh well another thread on taxis and way over charging falls on its arse as per ususal,

Because the fact of the matter is that with the new machines and regular checks, screwing over customers is almost impossible unless you add on extrapassengers. If you had a brain in your head you would have asked for the receipt you're entitled to and called him up over the extra 1euro. (:rolleyes:)
    oh and those that dont charge the call out charge seem to get on just fine with the soaring oil prices, its all excuses to rip people off

Get on just fine? My father gets up at 4 every morning, works straight through and starts his second job as a chauffeur in the afternnon and doesn't get home till after 6. Every day. Try working those hours for even a day and see how fine they are getting on.
    I admit taxi driving used to be a minted proffession ten years ago, but it is not anymore. there were 2,772 taxi's in Dublin before de-reg, now there are over 13,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

First of all i did say to my family that if we got taxis wed be over charged,

Seems to me like you accept it as if you have no choice. What, are you afraid to complain and speak up? Your post seems strong so I don't think you are so I don't know why you accept this

Did you complain at the time? Did you complain to the taxi regulator?
    For the second taxi where you were overcharged by €1 did you demand a receipt and an explanation? There is a fare card on display for your benefit.
    All these options would sort this for you.
    But you seem to accept being overcharged as if it happens everytime you get a taxi

Or are you just ranting? Gotta love Waterford forum, it's full of threads like this :D

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    The amount has F**k all to do with it , its still day light robbery

I never suggested otherwise, I stated a fact. The OP was overcharged €1 in the 2nd example if the National Taxi regulations were being applied.

He's followed that up by saying the taxi company claim they don't charge the €2 call out charge. He also says he knows about the taxi regs, which makes me wonder:

1. Why he didn't challenge the €4 for extra passengers (when it should have been €3), and
    2. Why he didn't query the €2 call out charge on the meter for the 1st journey, and
    3. Why he didn't clear up the issue of the call out charge when he booked the 2nd taxi.

Posting here demanding "regulation" of Waterford taxis when there is a national regulatory authority which sets down a national taxi fare (that he was charged with the exception of €1) is about as useful as tits on a boar.

The cab company says:
    We at Rapid Cabs have a strict policy on overcharging and

do not tolerate this under any circumstances, please always

ensure that you get a receipt from the driver. It is our

company policy to give a full refund if any

customer has been overcharged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

We at Rapid Cabs have a strict policy on overcharging and

do not tolerate this under any circumstances, please always

ensure that you get a receipt from the driver. It is our

company policy to give a full refund if any

customer has been overcharged.

That's the same company that when on-line and stated we at rapid cabs will not be using the €2 call out charge..........( got a slap on the wrist from the regulator for that )

As I have said before Rapid cabs only own a handful of the cars working for them and the majority of the drivers only rent the office and its equipment and therefore are self -employed or working for the car owner .So Rabid cannot speak or make policy for any of the lads working there.(Bar a small few )

OVERCHARGING is between customer , driver and the regulator.
    Take their number and report them !
    There was a call on another thread for a boycott but maybe if for one week we all reported everything and I MEAN EVERYTHING from late pick ups , overcharging , drivers attitudes etc etc
    Maybe they will get the message they still work for us if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

051-844484

They don't charge a call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think the price of taxis are perfectly reasonable since it is a labour and fuel intensive job, the two things that cost the most in Ireland today. You also need to spend a lot of money on the vehicle.

If people think that the job is so lucrative, then by all means, become a taxi driver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

oh well another thread on taxis and way over charging falls on its arse as per ususal, oh and those that dont charge the call out charge seem to get on just fine with the soaring oil prices, its all excuses to rip people off

Sorry for bothering you all

Shin

"way over charging"? A euro? Suppose every penny counts but I wouldn't say its daylight robbery, or "way over charging".

Petrol prices have rocketed - especially diesel. Therefore at the end of the day/week there at more of a loss then previous and to make this up they are charging the call out fee - which as you know is a requirement by the regulator. Regardless of whether its acceptable or not you could have done a number of things to address your concerns - I do believe rockman has made a list for you to look over :)
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    The amount has F**k all to do with it , its still day light robbery ,
    If a cafe or a shop did this " oh the two teas are 3 euros today because Mary is on the till " we be up in arms naming and shaming,
    Overcharging is against the new regs and drivers can lose their licence over it . So report them all I Say ,
    Who knows their own union may back you as they say there are to many taxis on the road already,:D (well that's why they striking )

Those extra passenger fairs were set in place by the regulator, as were call out charges and so on. The drivers themselves didn't add them for the laugh. The regulator has recently asked that customers (including the OP) send them an email with feedback about the service, the prices and so on. If people are not happy with the prices the regulator set on the taxis which they then have to enforce then they should take it up with the regulator and not the drivers.

I'm not a taxi driver and I find most of the drivers nice and helpful. I haven't been ripped of and I make sure that I understand the charges so know at the end of the journey what I am being charged and why. If I doubt it, I will ask for a receipt (usually gives an indication to the driver your not happy anyway) and follow it up.

I have heard stories of people being overcharged (ec18 and stick-dan being two people who were overcharged on new years but never asked for a receipt!) either by messing with the meter or some other way. It happens and we should all keep an eye out, just in case. However to the OP, the driver pretty much stuck to the rules and charged you what he was supposed to - maybe a euro over.

Sully, my reading of the regulations suggests the call out charge is set at €2 but is discretionary, i.e. can be left off the meter if the driver so wishes, or discounted from the final total at journey's end. Indeed, a driver can choose to discount any part of the fare if he/she chooses, though unless agreed before the hire commences the passenger is liable for the entire fare as shown on the meter.

In shinzon's case, he should have clarified the situation re. the call out charge with Rapid Cabs when booking the two taxis.

BJC wrote: »
    If you had a brain in your head you would have asked for the receipt you're entitled to and called him up over the extra 1euro. (:rolleyes:)

Excuse me now whose throwing out insults(sully), theres aways 2 schools of thought on this whenever someone accuses taxis of robbing the public blind

1) The taxi drivers, the cousins and relatives all come on here and defend the practice

2) People who have legitimite claims to be being ripped off

And it seems people are obsessing over the wrong thing here, i dont give a ****e about 1 euro, i give a ****e about false advertising from a company that has stated on numerous occasions they do not charge the 2 euro call out charge, and you then get the rip off merchants that flagrantly abuse what there office have said

And as for the taxi industry not making a mint dont make me laugh, thats why all these cowboys charge these ridiculous prices in the first place

Shin

I never suggested otherwise, I stated a fact. The OP was overcharged €1 in the 2nd example if the National Taxi regulations were being applied.

He's followed that up by saying the taxi company claim they don't charge the €2 call out charge. He also says he knows about the taxi regs, which makes me wonder:

1. Why he didn't challenge the €4 for extra passengers (when it should have been €3), and
    2. Why he didn't query the €2 call out charge on the meter for the 1st journey, and
    3. Why he didn't clear up the issue of the call out charge when he booked the 2nd taxi.

Posting here demanding "regulation" of Waterford taxis when there is a national regulatory authority which sets down a national taxi fare (that he was charged with the exception of €1) is about as useful as tits on a boar.

The cab company says:

I have in numerous cases brought this up with rapid cabs, i have reported and continue to report these flagrant abuses, so please dont think i sit here and type this stuff on without acting on it

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well, no thats not why these cowboys charge these prices. They charge them because thats what the regulator tells them to charge. Taxi's were cheaper before the regulator came along. Sure you couldn't actually get one, but when you did it cost less. Of course since the regulator came along the price of fuel has doubled.

This has a knock on effect to the consumer. Seen Aer Lingus' Fuel Surcharges ? The Ferries are the same, it will only be a matter of time before the buses etc.. follow suit. The worlds an expensive place these days. I suggest buying a lovely bike.

Shin: Im not a taxi driver, nor a cousin of one, nor do I have any relation with one. So that puts that argument out the window. :) In your case, you do not really have a legimate case. You can only say you were ripped of by a euro.

Perhaps that company stoped advertising call out charges ages ago? Regardless, if they charged you incorrectly twice then why didnt you clarrify or seek a receipt and further question it? I dont think they have to inform you in advance if they are or are not charging the call out fee as they are required to do so afaik (therecklessone, can you show me where you read that bit about having to be told?).

Sully or other mod lock this thread please aint no use continuing it as its just banging heads against brick walls tbh

Shin

• Advertisement

I have in numerous cases brought this up with rapid cabs, i have reported and continue to report these flagrant abuses, so please dont think i sit here and type this stuff on without acting on it

Shin

So why do you keep giving them your business???

Why not specify before agreeing a hire that you want them to honour their "no call out charge" commitment?

Why not challenge the over-charging on the extra passengers with the driver?

Did you get receipts from the two drivers?

Sully wrote: »
    (therecklessone, can you show me where you read that bit about having to be told?).

http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html#callout
    Are booking fees discretionary?

Yes.

The regs state the booking fee is a maximum of €2.
    Making a complaint in relation to the fare charged

In the event of a dispute, a customer should pay the fare displayed on the meter including extras, ensure they get a printed receipt and proceed to make a formal complaint which will be investigated by the Commission for Taxi Regulation as appropriate.

http://www.taxireg.ie/consumer/fare-information/what-is-a-maximum-fare.html
    The driver has the right to charge the maximum amount calculated on the meter or a lesser sum at his or her discretion. Customers have the right to request discounts before engaging the taxi. Any discounts given may be recorded in handwriting on the receipt. In the absence of any arrangement on discounts agreed in advance, the customer is liable to pay the amount calculated by the meter in full.

Sully or other mod lock this thread please aint no use continuing it as its just banging heads against brick walls tbh

Shin

I don't really see why the thread should be locked... Your saying taxis in Waterford is a daylight robbery. You gave an example. In that example you were over charged 1 euro. You then proceeded to claim that your issue was with the call out charge which they always advertised as not having. Since its been proven they don't have to charge this any more (I always thought they did, was this recently changed?) and they did - then you should have asked them why they have changed there minds? Anyway, its a fair that they have a right to charge - and from speaking to other drivers in the business they seem to have added it to assist in the balance at the end of the working week or day due to petrol prices resulting in having less money. I think that's a fair reason to put the charge on, don't you?

Taxi fares are expensive due to the regulator. I remember the drivers were not happy with the prices at the start.

If anyone is banging heads of the wall its others trying to explain this to you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

There are too many taxis in the town. They spend most of the day scratching their balls and can some days come home with just 70 euro in their pockets. Another thing that people don't take into consideration is this....imagine if you live in Ferrybank, as I do, and you get a taxi home from town. That driver will probably have to sit in traffic for about a half hour to get back into town. No taxi drivers are making mints, the only man making the money is Ollie in Rapid cabs I suspect. Although I'd say he may lose 5-6 cars in the next few months.

There are too many taxis in the town. They spend most of the day scratching their balls and can some days come home with just 70 euro in their pockets. Another thing that people don't take into consideration is this....imagine if you live in Ferrybank, as I do, and you get a taxi home from town. That driver will probably have to sit in traffic for about a half hour to get back into town. No taxi drivers are making mints, the only man making the money is Ollie in Rapid cabs I suspect. Although I'd say he may lose 5-6 cars in the next few months.

Ya I think we do have way to many taxis, even the drivers that have been around a long time say this. As a result, they are on strike to try and get extra spaces to park in. Seems to be the regulator at fault there?

Oh and from what I was told, and from reading a post in this thread, a lot of the cabs are private and only pay a small fee every week/month/year (cant remember which) to Rapid Cabs?

Sully wrote: »
    I don't really see why the thread should be locked... Your saying taxis in Waterford is a daylight robbery. You gave an example. In that example you were over charged 1 euro. You then proceeded to claim that your issue was with the call out charge which they always advertised as not having. Since its been proven they don't have to charge this any more (I always thought they did, was this recently changed?) and they did - then you should have asked them why they have changed there minds? Anyway, its a fair that they have a right to charge - and from speaking to other drivers in the business they seem to have added it to assist in the balance at the end of the working week or day due to petrol prices resulting in having less money. I think that's a fair reason to put the charge on, don't you?

Taxi fares are expensive due to the regulator. I remember the drivers were not happy with the prices at the start.

If anyone is banging heads of the wall its others trying to explain this to you :p

Well seens as everyone else is right in this thread and im wrong then i would have thought discussion closed but your the mod upto you

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BJC wrote: »
    Get on just fine? My father gets up at 4 every morning, works straight through and starts his second job as a chauffeur in the afternnon and doesn't get home till after 6. Every day. Try working those hours for even a day and see how fine they are getting on.
    I admit taxi driving used to be a minted proffession ten years ago, but it is not anymore. there were 2,772 taxi's in Dublin before de-reg, now there are over 13,000.

Nobody makes him do this, if he wants the money then he should do this..if he doesn't and he doesn'tr like the job then he should change his job like anyone else.

I could bitch and moan about my job the same as anyone but nobody but me makes me do the job.

The hours worked and the feeling that the job isn't worth it anymore does not justify anyone overcharging customers be it 1c or 1e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

theres a new hackney service in town (331033) and they have a set charge on all fares, I've saved myself 2-3 euro on each trip I'd normally take so far, they take a little longer to arrive but I'd rather wait and give my money to someone who's not going to screw me over. Raped taxi's are the biggest crowd of cowboys this side of the suir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I was overcharged on new years eve... but the driver told me that it was an increased fare becuase of the day. And it was a hackney so it had no meter or receipt facilties that I could see. But tbh i've always found the taxi's in waterford charge the same when I've used them, from toen during the day to my house is 8 and at 2-3 in the morning it's about 6-7. Never had any trouble with Rapid Cabs and if the meter is more than usual the driver is usually very helpful and tells me why, or notices a mistake made. I don't think Taxi's are a rip off. They're more expensive than the bus or other public transport but they always have been and always will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Excuse me now whose throwing out insults(sully), theres aways 2 schools of thought on this whenever someone accuses taxis of robbing the public blind

1) The taxi drivers, the cousins and relatives all come on here and defend the practice

2) People who have legitimite claims to be being ripped off

And it seems people are obsessing over the wrong thing here, i dont give a ****e about 1 euro, i give a ****e about false advertising from a company that has stated on numerous occasions they do not charge the 2 euro call out charge, and you then get the rip off merchants that flagrantly abuse what there office have said

And as for the taxi industry not making a mint dont make me laugh, thats why all these cowboys charge these ridiculous prices in the first place

Shin

If you have a problem with a taxi base company advertising then take it up with them, because at the end of the day the contract is between the customer and the driver NOT the radio base

Advertisement