Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis taking the piss with over charging

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ec18 wrote: »
    I was overcharged on new years eve... but the driver told me that it was an increased fare becuase of the day. And it was a hackney so it had no meter or receipt facilties that I could see. But tbh i've always found the taxi's in waterford charge the same when I've used them, from toen during the day to my house is 8 and at 2-3 in the morning it's about 6-7. Never had any trouble with Rapid Cabs and if the meter is more than usual the driver is usually very helpful and tells me why, or notices a mistake made. I don't think Taxi's are a rip off. They're more expensive than the bus or other public transport but they always have been and always will be.

I checked the website for the Taxi Reg and there are different charges during New Years - your put on the premium rate. Fare starts at €4.10, Tarrif A is at €1.25 per km or €0.44 per min. Tarrif B is at €1.45 per km or €0.51 per min.

Probably the driver was right with his prices.

Btw, the regulator is looking for feedback on prices and stuff. You can email them: commission@taxiregulator.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hackneys aren't covered by the taxi regulator Sully
    ec18 wrote: »
    I was overcharged on new years eve... but the driver told me that it was an increased fare becuase of the day. And it was a hackney so it had no meter or receipt facilties that I could see.

Customers should agree a price with a hackney driver before a journey starts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Missed that.. sorry, I was with ec18 and he was picked up outside Rapid Cabs so I remembered the story. I guess he just decided to charge extra. I cant remember the full story. Maybe its time they did fall under the regulatory authority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I wouldn't object anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sully, my reading of the regulations suggests the call out charge is set at €2 but is discretionary, i.e. can be left off the meter if the driver so wishes, or discounted from the final total at journey's end. Indeed, a driver can choose to discount any part of the fare if he/she chooses, though unless agreed before the hire commences the passenger is liable for the entire fare as shown on the meter.

In shinzon's case, he should have clarified the situation re. the call out charge with Rapid Cabs when booking the two taxis.

I think you've got a point there. I often have to get a taxi home from work because sometimes my shifts end after the bus service finishes. The roads are empty so traffic is not a factor but the fare can range from €5 to €8 even though its the same distance every time. Usually its local drivers who know me give the lower fare and foreign drivers charging the higher fare. I've always put it down to the drivers who know me cutting me a break on the callout charge for being a regular customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sully wrote: »
    Missed that.. sorry, I was with ec18 and he was picked up outside Rapid Cabs so I remembered the story. I guess he just decided to charge extra. I cant remember the full story. Maybe its time they did fall under the regulatory authority?

Hacknies do fall under the regulators remit BUT they don't have a meter and the basis of the fare should be agreed before the journey is undertaken. They are subject to certain rules and regulations that Taxis aren't such as
    Not Able to be hailed on the street, they MUST be prebooked.
    No Advertising permited on windows, doors etc.
    As they have no printer, they should offer a written receipt for each journey.
    They should still be displaying the large round yellow (changing to blue in 2008) stickers on front and rear windscreens to show they are licensed.
    They should have a Drivers Identification Card prominently displayed on the dashboard, giving the drivers license number, name and area they did the SPSV test in. ( However, due to the fact that Hacknies are supposed to be prebooked, it does enable a grey area to come into effect that allows them to work anywhere! )
    drivers-id-card-taxi-regulator.jpg
    Hackney
    No sign or advertisement, other than one prescribed by the Commission for Taxi regulation shall be displayed on a hackney. (S.I. No. 316/1999 as amended by S.I. No. 154/2006)
    Hackney
    A private hire small public service vehicle (SPSV). Hackneys should be pre-booked on a private hire basis and cannot be hailed down in a public place. They are not currently allowed in bus lanes or to ply for hire in the street.

A fare should be agreed in advance with a hackney operator and is not calculated on a meter.

It is a requirement that all hackney operators/drivers provide a written receipt to all customers on payment of the fare.
    Displaying Driver ID
    Drivers should ensure that their Driver ID is displayed prominently on the dashboard of their vehicle so that it can be seen clearly from the front of your vehicle, but also by passengers. The side displaying the area in which you are licensed to operate should face outwards leaving the side displaying your name, picture and licence number facing the customer inside the vehicle.

New licence holders should note that due to the requirement for transfer of documentation from the Gardaí to the Commission, there will be a waiting period of approximately two weeks between a renewal or issue of a new licence and arrangement of the collection of your Driver ID.
    tamper-proof-disc-taxi.jpgtamper-proof-disc-hackney.jpgtamper-proof-disc-limo.jpg

Can't find the link that outlines the grey area of licensing but basicly if you go to a prebooked pickup it need not be in the area you are licensed for..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

One thing that has always got to me is how the taxi drivers in the city are charging the maximum rate. We are a small city, where the cost of living isn't as high as it is in Dublin, Cork etc and this is reflected in wages/salaries.

I have no qualms about taxi companies charging the maximum fare in Dublin, but to have them charge it in Waterford is a bit of a disgrace!

One thing that has always got to me is how the taxi drivers in the city are charging the maximum rate. We are a small city, where the cost of living isn't as high as it is in Dublin, Cork etc and this is reflected in wages/salaries.

I have no qualms about taxi companies charging the maximum fare in Dublin, but to have them charge it in Waterford is a bit of a disgrace!

I thought that the meter changed rates per time of day automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It does. But it always charges the maximum rates for that time period. As far as I know, taxi drivers are free to set their meters to any rate below the maximum.

No drivers may discount the fare, but the meter is sacrosanct and must be calibrated to the national rate, He could offer a discount on the fare, just like your local publican could discount the cost of his beer, or your local shop could discount the cost of a loaf etc. Just doesn't happen very often..

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    No drivers may discount the fare, but the meter is sacrosanct and must be calibrated to the national rate, He could offer a discount on the fare, just like your local publican could discount the cost of his beer, or your local shop could discount the cost of a loaf etc. Just doesn't happen very often..

Discount as in having it on the min. price and not the max. as Murderer was saying?

Sully wrote: »
    Discount as in having it on the min. price and not the max. as Murderer was saying?

No, the meter will show the maximum price chargeable based on the distance traveled, time of day and any extras ( the only input a driver can change is the amount of extras ), the driver may discount this by any amount he so decides, wether that be by 1c or by 100% but at the end of the day he is entitled to charge the full amount and you as a passenger are obliged to pay it. As I said you could try getting the publicans to discount the price of beer but I don't think you'll get very far...:D

So the fare that Murder is being priced is a fair price and is fully okay. There is no minimum charge they can have it set on I assume only knock of a few euro somehow? Never seen that been done and iv tipped the odd driver before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

NE1 know the taxi co that have fixed charges for journeys around the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

i used waterford hackney last weekend and got as taxi from ballytruckle to newrath in ferrybank and only got charged 6 euro! and that was a sunday of a bank holiday! we got him back into the forum (3 of us in the car) and sound fella just said throw me 2 euro a head i know who il be using from now on i cudnt belive how cheap they were compared to normal taxiS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think the best thing would be in everyone was given a receipt. As in you don't ask for it, and you must take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

alphapa wrote: »
    i used waterford hackney last weekend and got as taxi from ballytruckle to newrath in ferrybank and only got charged 6 euro! and that was a sunday of a bank holiday! we got him back into the forum (3 of us in the car) and sound fella just said throw me 2 euro a head i know who il be using from now on i cudnt belive how cheap they were compared to normal taxiS

Can I have his phone no, cause i'm pxxxxx off being robbed,Pm if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

its 051 331033 and i dont work there or even know any of them! i was just given the number its dead handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

alphapa wrote: »
    its 051 331033 and i dont work there or even know any of them! i was just given the number its dead handy!

never mind that kind of overchargin its the c**ts that bring ya the long way around when they dont think yer from the town,esp when i go out with me lack,shes not from waterford.we jump into taxi,she tells em where to go,next min theyre taking a longer route till the place till i pipe up where ye going boy?panic stations when they realise im from the town and try and fob me off with some bull**** excuse oh the traffic etc,ye right at 9pm at night? and they go back on the right route,some shower of schemin *****

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

anplaya wrote: »
    never mind that kind of overchargin its the c**ts that bring ya the long way around when they dont think yer from the town,esp when i go out with me lack,shes not from waterford.we jump into taxi,she tells em where to go,next min theyre taking a longer route till the place till i pipe up where ye going boy?panic stations when they realise im from the town and try and fob me off with some bull**** excuse oh the traffic etc,ye right at 9pm at night? and they go back on the right route,some shower of schemin *****
    Them bloody foreigners from the African part of the world are the worst for this if they think you dont know where you are going.Came back on the train form Dublin one Monday afternoon and had the pleasure of getting one of these yokes who thought I was an outsider.I asked him to bring me to the Tap room in Ballybricken and he started to head for the Tower hotel.I quickly told him were to go and when he tried to charge me 7 euro when we eventually got ther I told him to F off and threw him 4 euro.I shoud have reported him ,but from what I hear they are all at this.Go over to the train station anytime a train is due you would think you were in downtown Nigeria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

^^ Classy!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

molby wrote: »
    Them bloody foreigners from the African part of the world are the worst for this if they think you dont know where you are going.Came back on the train form Dublin one Monday afternoon and had the pleasure of getting one of these yokes who thought I was an outsider.I asked him to bring me to the Tap room in Ballybricken and he started to head for the Tower hotel.I quickly told him were to go and when he tried to charge me 7 euro when we eventually got ther I told him to F off and threw him 4 euro.I shoud have reported him ,but from what I hear they are all at this.Go over to the train station anytime a train is due you would think you were in downtown Nigeria.

LIKE FCUK YOU DID.

keyboard warrior , internet hard man, that buzzing you hear is your alarm clock

WAKE UP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Paid €15 from lismore pk to grantstown village last night,
    Couldn't believe it, usually costs €8-€10 tops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I paid €50 out to Kilmactomas on Friday night got charged like €45 but the lad was sound so I gave him the fiver.

It's some bloody rip off, I do enjoy the mindless racism thank you molby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

molby wrote: »

tbh why not walk?tap room is only up the road from the train station.

ya dont have to get into a taxi with an african driving it ,and also its local lads whod rip you off as well,no generalising there.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    LIKE FCUK YOU DID.

keyboard warrior , internet hard man, that buzzing you hear is your alarm clock

WAKE UP

No need to wake up here .Are you doubting this.Its true no hard man approach just plain honest truth.Are you one of these taxi drivers by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You have been found out rockman! I always knew you were from Ghana.

ziedth wrote: »
    I paid €50 out to Kilmactomas on Friday night got charged like €45 but the lad was sound so I gave him the fiver.

It's some bloody rip off, I do enjoy the mindless racism thank you molby
    No racism ment,I have nothing against black people driving taxis.What I am against is trying to rip people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

One of my mates got in a taxi and the driver started talking about 'the blacks' my mate told him to stop the car and told him 'i didn't pay to hear this' and got out and walked.
    More of this i say!

Advertisement