Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis taking the piss with over charging

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

molby wrote: »
    No need to wake up here .Are you doubting this.Its true no hard man approach just plain honest truth.Are you one of these taxi drivers by any chance?

In one word YES

But thats just me ........

Must be my Ghana up bringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Them bloody foreigners from the African part of the world are the worst for this if they think you dont know where you are going.Came back on the train form Dublin one Monday afternoon and had the pleasure of getting one of these yokes who thought I was an outsider.I asked him to bring me to the Tap room in Ballybricken and he started to head for the Tower hotel.I quickly told him were to go and when he tried to charge me 7 euro when we eventually got ther I told him to F off and threw him 4 euro.I shoud have reported him ,but from what I hear they are all at this.Go over to the train station anytime a train is due you would think you were in downtown Nigeria.

No racism ment,I have nothing against black people driving taxis.What I am against is trying to rip people off.

wow if thats the case I'd hate to see you been racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 d_j

Waterford Taxis make me wanna puke, they think they own the town - blocking the flow of traffic outside Dunnes & completely taking up one side of the road from Kazbar all way down to Istanbul take away. How this can be allowed is beyond me! F**k down to Parnell st with the lot of 'em!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/B]

wow if thats the case I'd hate to see you been racist.

ROCKMAN, don't worry molby will reply his next "defense" with "sure one of my best friends is black, sure I can't be racist"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Scenic Route:

Tower Hotel to chipper on Lr Yellow Road...

Saturday night 12.20am.

A coloured guy...I've no problem there... Goes thru lights at Tower (no u turn up the quays) goes up John St and down Mayor's walk and round the Green. In fairness he did drive like the clappers.

Sunday Night 12.30am.

Local guy again no u turn drives past John St out the Cork road and finally takes a right at the lights..then takes another right at top of hill at Barrack St street and then a left where there are about 6 ramps (instead of goin down Doyle St) and driving about 20mph.

Jaysus I'm here nearly 10yrs I pity the poor tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Molby is banned for a week.

Let's try to keep the thread on topic, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

d_j wrote: »
    Waterford Taxis make me wanna puke, they think they own the town - blocking the flow of traffic outside Dunnes & completely taking up one side of the road from Kazbar all way down to Istanbul take away. How this can be allowed is beyond me! F**k down to Parnell st with the lot of 'em!
    they are a source of information for the garda hence the blind eye to their road attitude.Up the bananna republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

It seems to me that taxi driving is very inefficient.

I mean the drivers spend most of their time hanging (or worse, driving) about waiting to pick up a fare. Surely there must be a better way. I mean something that uses GPS, or some sort of app for an iPhone. That way drivers would spend more time doing the actual work they want to do, rather than hang about.

I don't think we should return to how it was before deregulation, but there must be a better way. Anyone know how its done in other countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I haven't used Rapid cabs since my daughter was charged 13 odd euros from Gracedieu to Kilcohan. I got a receipt and she was charged a call out fee and other sundries (can't remember all the charges as it was two years ago), but I called up to complain and got short thrift.

I now use Waterford Hackney, as they have a set price and I have never been ripped off by them yet.

If you feel the taxi company you use are ripping you off, never use them again and shop around - always ask if they call a charge out fee etc. before you book them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

While I don't use Waterford Hackney myself, I have heard good things about them and they send out a text when they're outside saying what car they have (make, colour and reg number) which would be particularly handy if getting a taxi alone at night.

I continue to use Rapid Cabs because they have the quickest response time of any company which is vital because I generally only get a taxi because I'm running late!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

What's the deal with not being able to flag down taxis in this town?, or at least taxi drivers driving around with the sign lit up as being available but when you go to flag them, the car is carrying passengers.

The opposite is also annoying, see a taxi with the sign light off so you don't bother hailing it only to see he's empty when he passes... Now, I know he/she could be on the way to a job or something but I believe most drivers in the town just don't bother with it.

Is it so hard for taxi drivers to use the light on top as a sign of availability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Chochese wrote: »
    What's the deal with not being able to flag down taxis in this town?, or at least taxi drivers driving around with the sign lit up as being available but when you go to flag them, the car is carrying passengers.

The opposite is also annoying, see a taxi with the sign light off so you don't bother hailing it only to see he's empty when he passes... Now, I know he/she could be on the way to a job or something but I believe most drivers in the town just don't bother with it.

Is it so hard for taxi drivers to use the light on top as a sign of availability?

I believe the switch for turning the light on top on/off gets removed at the same time as the indicators :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tonc76 wrote: »
    I believe the switch for turning the light on top on/off gets removed at the same time as the indicators :pac:

Sure its the same as non-taxi cars, it seems in some areas you have to pay extra for a indicator switch and lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Does anyone remember the state of taxi's on a nightout in town maybe 5/6 years ago? You would literally have to wait 30min if you hit the rank at the wrong time of night and have to put up with various piss heads jumping the line.

In a way the major amount of taxi's on the road is a good thing.

ziedth wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the state of taxi's on a nightout in town maybe 5/6 years ago? You would literally have to wait 30min if you hit the rank at the wrong time of night and have to put up with various piss heads jumping the line.

In a way the major amount of taxi's on the road is a good thing.

Thats not even 5/6 years ago,

I rembering just that experience just over two years ago, taxi's just stopping coming up top the rank and alhough they can never be flagged down normally they appeared to have no problem doing it that night.....strange that.

To quote a taxi driver I knew a few years back "I have so much money I honestly don't know what to do with it", suppose they always found it hard going I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Cabaal wrote: »

I rembering just that experience just over two years ago, taxi's just stopping coming up top the rank and alhough they can never be flagged down normally they appeared to have no problem doing it that night.....strange that.

To quote a taxi driver I knew a few years back "I have so much money I honestly don't know what to do with it", suppose they always found it hard going I guess

Thats a very general statement about Taxi drivers, its as pointless as me stating ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Cabaal wrote: »

It's not as long ago as you think (5 years??) that we found it was pretty much impossible to get a taxi in Waterford unless you had a driver's personal number. I remember pretty much begging for a taxi to take us to Ballybricken from Gracedieu, experiencing time dilation effects as we waited 40 minutes for the promised 10 minutes arrival time then being laughed at when trying to book the return "sure I'll be having a few myself boi". Only about three years ago I couldn't get a taxi to take me to the station on a Sunday afternoon of a bank holiday.

As a consumer I'd have to say the present arrangements are much better, strange routes notwithstanding!

One thing that does urgently need sorting out is the ridiculous queuing system by Dunnes, the number of times I've been stuck trying to turn right at the bottom of Patrick St while some "discussion" takes place :mad:

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Thats a very general statement about Taxi drivers, its as pointless as me stating ;)

Taxi drivers should be used to generalisations. They make enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

I tried to get into a taxi at John's Street earlier, only to find the door locked and the driver fast asleep in the driver seat! He didn't wake even when i tried opening the door,got into the next taxi down and left him to his snooze!

Advertisement