Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE.ie News Now streaming online (next week)

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MEDIA+AND+MARKETING-qqqs=mediaandmarketing-qqqid=33495-qqqx=1.asp

RTE is to use this week’s referendum to launch its new online streaming news service, RTE News Now. The service, which will function as an internet-based news channel, will be available on RTE.ie when it launches on Thursday, with a rollout on mobile phone networks also under discussion.

The channel will broadcast online 24 hours a day and will be shown in addition to news content already available on the broadcaster’s website. The service will consist of existing RTE news bulletins and current affairs programming, which will be simulcast live and repeated throughout the day, as well as breaking news stories and special events that might not get coverage on television.

as ever rte.ie doing well to use everything thats available to them, but i wonder how 24hrs rte's version of 24hrs is and how breaking is rte version of breaking... and we can only hope we won't have any zefran 'and finally' stories.
    The news service will forma central part of the planned RTE media player, which is currently in development. This new platform is expected to be similar to the recently launched BBC iPlayer, which allows viewers to re-watch and download previously aired programmes online.

so rte haven't been having as much trouble with this as the bbc,will the try to hobble it

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

as ever rte.ie doing well to use everything thats available to them, but i wonder how 24hrs rte's version of 24hrs is and how breaking is rte version of breaking... and we can only hope we won't have any zefran 'and finally' stories.

The impression I get is that it will have a very limited amount of unique content at first - although they might decide to break for relatively small stories (like a real 24 hour news channel would) that RTÉ One and Two couldn't justify interrupting schedule for. We'll have to see.

That said, it does create a good foundation for a genuine rolling news service, or even an hourly news update service which happen in the future.
    so rte haven't been having as much trouble with this as the bbc,will the try to hobble it

I'd say it'll be IP restricted at the very least - but at the same time they may be more flexible than the BBC as they hope to use it as part of their Diaspora TV service... so some of the programming will be available anywhere (such as Current Affairs stuff, I guess) and some will only be available in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Doesn't RTE already stream news programmes online anyway? What's the difference with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it does yeah, i guess its streaming 24hrs...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think this is a bit of a pointless exercise.

Surely they could have an hourly news with RTE Radio News. I.E. have the presenters of the news on the hour bulletins present the hour headlines with pictures from the RTE TV newsroom.

They have RTE Extra News on the web surely these could be scheduled into the service.

Sell advertising for the service to make some money so you can invest some money into the service.

It can be just rolling repeats of 1 O'Clock, Six One, Nine News, Prime Time, News On Two, Q & A. And even then they could be repeating their other shows during the hour rather then a rolling repeat of the last RTE News show.

I.E. Between 10 and 11 in the mornign they are repeating the news bulletin from 10. Surely they should repeat Six One or Nine News or News On Two????

Bad Idea if they don't plan something different. I suppose it will pick up when the Breakie show launches in the autumn.

Elmo wrote: »
    I think this is a bit of a pointless exercise.

Surely they could have an hourly news with RTE Radio News. I.E. have the presenters of the news on the hour bulletins present the hour headlines with pictures from the RTE TV newsroom.

They have RTE Extra News on the web surely these could be scheduled into the service.

Sell advertising for the service to make some money so you can invest some money into the service.

It can be just rolling repeats of 1 O'Clock, Six One, Nine News, Prime Time, News On Two, Q & A. And even then they could be repeating their other shows during the hour rather then a rolling repeat of the last RTE News show.

I.E. Between 10 and 11 in the mornign they are repeating the news bulletin from 10. Surely they should repeat Six One or Nine News or News On Two????

Bad Idea if they don't plan something different. I suppose it will pick up when the Breakie show launches in the autumn.

Not sure if I can see the merits of repeating news from the day before - I know it's Ireland and all but a lot tends to happen in the 12 hours between the two bulletins you suggest, for example.

The service is very much a dip in, dip out kind of thing as far as I can see. It strikes me that it'd be of more use to someone using it via mobile than via their laptop as you can get a proper news bulletin that would be harder to find otherwise.

That said I think it's the basis of something bigger that will probably form slowly over time. Not a fully-fledged rolling news network but something with dedicated hourly updates like you suggest... I like the fact that they give coverage to some mid-range events that aren't worth breaking TV schedules for - for example the News at One mentioned that the Bush visit to NI would be covered on it as would an EU press conference later on this afternoon.

If they do that regularly it could find a nice balance between 24 hour news and traditional broadcast times - cover things when they happen but don't spend serious money on filler in between these events.

• Advertisement

scrap that - they seem to be showing the two aforementioned events on RTE.ie/live but not as part of the News Now stream. Seems a bit odd to me, surely that's the whole point?

Hopefully it's things like this that they'll factor in as the service beds down.

Advertisement