Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A few things broken

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

My sister got a new car 2 weeks ago. Second hand in perfect condition. She's only learning and it was still sitting out the back until she got the confidence to take it out herself. She was always giving my brother the keys to the car. He's just turned 17 and he's far to full of himself. This was something no one else was happy about. 17 and driving a car when full of yourself and not being insured. But she never listened to anyone and gave him the keys anyway.

Anyway while he was out yesterday he drove it into a wall. He was taking a sharp corner in 3rd gear and skidded on a bog road. Broken back light. Broken indicator. Wing mirror fallen of. Deep scratches along the passenger door and the panel at the front.

Would anyone know how much it would cost to fix? Citroen xsara 99. He's willing to pay for the damage himself but i think it should be shared between them. She did give him the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A Citroen dealer or a body repair shop will give you a quote for the repair cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Personally, I'd be more interested as to why he is driving uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Personally, I'd be more interested as to why he is driving uninsured.

+1.... i guess your sister has learn't the hard way... lucky he didn't kill someone... Also your sister can be charged as she gave him permission to use the car...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lisajane wrote: »
    He's willing to pay for the damage himself but i think it should be shared between them. She did give him the car.

her parents should make their daughter pay fully for the damage and teach their daughter how completely idiotic it is to let a 17 uninsured driver have a lend of their car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If he had crashed into a third party you could be made liable and could end up in prison :eek: .
    If I were you I wouldn't do it again!!

prison.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

and whats more the judge wouldn't bat an eyelid in the process of doing it either

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree with the others - she should pay to teach her a lesson. Thankfully there was nobody injured.
    lisajane wrote: »
    Anyway while he was out yesterday he drove it into a wall. He was taking a sharp corner in 3rd gear and skidded on a bog road.
    Was the wall damaged? Theoretically, it should be repaired if it was damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Moral and legal aspects aside as to who was right and who was wrong, I wouldn't bother going to a main dealer to have a 9 year old car repaired.

Bring the car to a few body repair shops and get some quotes.

Advertisement