Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling the finger out....

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭

I came on here a few months back and asked about doing the MCSA in four months...that was over four months back and i'm now in NZ :) Ive got a handy four month contract doing support down here but what ive found is that companies that want contracters especially insist on at least an MCSA. Ive got about 8 years experience so that does me good but i feel i need to sort out some certs at least so wanna get the MCSA on 2003, MCSE 2003 then upgrade to 2008 in a few years when it becomes mainstream.

Anyways gunna start with the vista client exam as its supposed to be easy, I have vista on my laptop and the sybex exam book on pdf...do ye reckon i'll get away with just those and some online practice tests? I want to get that exam out of the way within the next month and then concentrate on the server 2003 ones...was thinking bout getting an old pc to slap 2003 on and practice but have been reading into virtualisation a bit, could i get vmware or something and just use that to run it on my laptop? How much study would people recommend every night to get through the Vista exam?

Highly recommend anyone looking for a change in scenery comes to NZ to do some IT contracting, markets pretty good at the moment and im on a better rate then i was at home!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Kia ora!!! I miss NZ what a wicked place.. Anyways

The MCTS Vista is a piece of proverbial

Its really a marketing exam or basic entry level. Most of the stuff is basic and goes around the new features of Vista such as the wireless networking, UAC and other features.

From my experience in it, it was the usual 4 choices, 3 of which were old XP way and the fourth was shiney new vista way!

Grab a measureup exam and see what you score, if you are in the high 80s go for you it, you should pass it no probs..

The MCITP level exams that are related to Vista are a bit more difficult..

You can also do the XP exam then as your client leaving you 70-290 and 70-291 and you will have MCP,MCSA,MCTS not too bad for 4 exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Kiaroa :) It is a great place :) Where were ya?

Yeah Ive started reading the book and its all very easy so far, reminds me a lot of the 2000 pro exam except with vista's bells and whistles. Thanks for the advice, i'll try the measureup exams and see how I go once i'm done with the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Use the first one as a base line to test how much you can fluke by on ... try it twice to get an average. THen come back after some study and see how you do

Try it in virtual mode rather show the answers so that you can test yourself

I was everywhere from Bluff to Paihia, kinda did the whole tour of the place, on land water and sea. Dived a bit there, up in the Poor Knights and Rainbow warrior wreck.

Crackin place

Advertisement