Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Memory.

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I built a PC about a year ago and I decided to add some more memory. The motherboard I have is a intel D975BX, the ram that I had in it was 1GB x 2 PC2 – 5300 Ballistics ram from crucial. I decided I wanted to add some more ram and I bought a 2GB x 2 PC2 – 5300. I followed all the procedures when butting it into the Motherboard. I placed the 2GB in the primary slots and the 1GB in the secondary slots, now occasionally when I power up the PC I would get 3 beeps. I looked this up and it is down to the memory. So what I did was removed the original memory leaving in the new memory I got and the PC will not start up at all. I am now getting the 3 beeps error more often. Has anyone any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks a million
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

What brand are the other sticks? Ballistix run at quite a high voltage (2.1V i think) so your brand of new sticks might need to be run lower. If say the new sticks required 1.8V you might have killed them by overvolting them by accident, it can take a while for this to happen sometimes.

There could also be an issue with timings of the ram fighting eachother so check that too!

Also what OS are you running and for what? Unless your running a 64bit operating system theres no point in 6gigs of ram.....4GB is the max.

Even with a 64bit OS the advantages between 4gigs over 8 gigs is negligible so 6 over having 4 would make no difference at all in most day to day apps....

Also on top of all this, some motherboards dont like having all their RAM slots filled although im not sure about yours!

Run this program (you need to make a boot cd out of it) and see how long it lasts with one stick at a time. If your pc crashes or restarts within an hour, theres something wrong with the ram so you will have to RMA it.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Advertisement