Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arigna Mining Experience

Options
  • 08-06-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Full Disclosure: this isn't in Sligo, it's in North Roscommon. But it's near enough that people from Sligo should be taking advantage of it.

Myself, Mr Xiney, and the Xiney-in-laws all went down yesterday and it was amazing! First of all, it's in a really beautiful part of the country and the sun was shining so it was just a great drive out - I enjoyed that very much. The Arigna Mines are, funnily enough, located on a mountain, (who'd have thunk it?) so when you get up there you've got a great view of the Lough Allen valley surrounding.

The tour of the mine lasts a little over an hour, and our tour guide was a man by the name of Peter who had worked 40 years less two weeks in the Arigna mines. He told us at the start that he wasn't "a trained tour guide" and that he'd just be telling us about his memories, but folks, this is what made the tour. This man is living history. All the tour guides are ex miners as well.

It was very interesting and informative. Tickets are 10 for adults, 8 for students, they've got a whole load of different family deals. There are also some fabulous photos up on the welcome floor, and you get to wear a hard hat during the tour (with hairnet under for sanitary reasons)

Official Website : http://www.arignaminingexperience.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We went there and really enjoyed, only thing its a fair drive, especially with kids....are we there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks Xiney. We'll have to head out there someday soon. I like the idea of the miners being the guides!

Edit: Magnumlady, your kids are older than mine, is it a nightmare drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

magnumlady wrote: »
    We went there and really enjoyed, only thing its a fair drive, especially with kids....are we there yet

I didn't find the drive long at all, and there were 5 of us in a little peugeot!

However, I'm not a kid anymore (I suppose) and I'm from Canada - an hour's drive there is absolutely a drop in the ocean.

sueme wrote: »

Lots of windy cow track roads. Just tell them it's a roller coaster :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for the tips. I am defo gonna take a trip out there. Very historical landmark. I wonder would they allow people to shoot short scenes for movies there. Guess I would have to ask them for their permission. Wonder has it been done before? Great location. Thank you.

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    Thanks Xiney. We'll have to head out there someday soon. I like the idea of the miners being the guides!

Well mine thought it was a nightmare, it just seemed to take forever to get there and there were lots of really narrow winding roads as Xiney said.
    It was worth it though. My son got to 'set off' the explosion so was delighted.

Were you at the beach today???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

magnumlady wrote: »
    Well mine thought it was a nightmare, it just seemed to take forever to get there and there were lots of really narrow winding roads as Xiney said.
    It was worth it though. My son got to 'set off' the explosion so was delighted.

Were you at the beach today???

Cool, thanks Magumlady.

No, I wasn't there, the crew from here were though, they said it was ok, just.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Explosion?? I'm going there soon! sounds really good, Would it be nice for a 2,5 year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Explosion?? I'm going there soon! sounds really good, Would it be nice for a 2,5 year old?

He's nearly three!

They might be a wee bit too young.
    Theres a lot of talking involved, but it is cool going underground.
    It'd be great at Christmas, they have Santa there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, not much there for little kids I wouldn't say. Plus it's a bit dark, so it might be too scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

My grandfather worked in the Arigna mines. I've been planning on going since it opened. Haven't got around to it yet.
    The roads aren't that bad. No worse than any rural Irish roads anyway. Quickest is out by Ballygawley, Sooey, Geevagh, Ballyfarnon and Keadew. Should take 40 minutes from Sligo town. Also via Dromahair, Drumkeeran, but it's less direct. If you must have nice roads go by Carrick, Leitrim(village) and Drumshanbo but it's 10-12 miles longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

il gatto wrote: »
    My grandfather worked in the Arigna mines. I've been planning on going since it opened. Haven't got around to it yet.

Go soon, your respect for your grandfather will increase no end when you see first hand the conditions he had to work in... I saw people coming out after the tour and they'd had enough of the darkness. Now imagine lying on your back on a wet cramped crevice for hours on end... with just about enough room to swing a hammer and chisel....

Anyone thinking of going should check out the renovated Kilronan castle if you need a diversion on the way there or back. Nice place for a cup of tea or pint for the passenger... http://www.kilronancastle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Yeah. I know how bad it was. He used to blunt a pick axe every day. He used to bring it home with several others as not everyone had grinding stone or the technique. Then he used to do all his farm work in the evenings. Basically two full days work every day. It killed him by his early thirties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ShaneWalshEire

The Mining Experience is amazing, great to see preserved mines unlike the rest on Kilronan and Corry mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. It's a fantastic experience and also it allows you to show some respect for those wonderful men who had such hard lives

The Mining Experience is amazing, great to see preserved mines unlike the rest on Kilronan and Corry mountain.

Advertisement