Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket

Options
  • 08-06-2008 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

This week I got two speeding tickets in the post.
    Both offences were alleged to have occurred in the first week in August in the same location - Naas Road, Dublin 22.
    In each case I was doing slightly over 70 in a Special Speed Limit 60 zone.
    This is my daily route to work (Naas Road out to town towards Citywest)

At the time I wasn't aware I was breaking the limit - I have examined the route since and signage seems to be very poor - but anyway I'm not disputing that so much as the fact that I received 2 tickets in one week but was not notified at the time - or in fact until more than 2 months later.

I have no problem paying the first offence and accepting the penalty points - but in my opinion, I should not have to pay the second as I was given no opportunity to alter my behaviour. I travel this route every day - how many times have I been clocked and not realised it? - I could already have lost my licence at the rate they are being processed?

No doubt many people will claim I should have read the (very poor) signage etc - which may be a valid point. I'm not really interested in that argument.

Do I have a case for not accepting the second notice (on the grounds that I wasn't informed promptly first time I got ticketed)?

Any other way to avoid these penalty points?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

robg123 wrote: »
    I have no problem paying the first offence and accepting the penalty points - but in my opinion, I should not have to pay the second as I was given no opportunity to alter my behaviour.

Sorry, ignorance is not a defence when breaking the law.
    That sounds like a high-horse comment, sorry it's not meant to be.

You have zero chance of getting out of the second ticket with your argument.

Maybe think of some other avenue but don't tell that quote to a judge :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi,

Both offences were alleged to have occurred in the first week in August in the same location - Naas Road, Dublin 22.

At the time I wasn't aware I was breaking the limit - I have examined the route since and signage seems to be very poor - but anyway I'm not disputing that so much as the fact that I received 2 tickets in one week but was not notified at the time - or in fact until more than 2 months later.

I have no problem paying the first offence and accepting the penalty points - but in my opinion, I should not have to pay the second as I was given no opportunity to alter my behaviour. I travel this route every day - how many times have I been clocked and not realised it? - I could already have lost my licence at the rate they are being processed?

No doubt many people will claim I should have read the (very poor) signage etc - which may be a valid point. I'm not really interested in that argument.

Do I have a case for not accepting the second notice (on the grounds that I wasn't informed promptly first time I got ticketed)?

Cheers

No defence as far as i can see. You broke the speed limit twice and got two speeding tickets, take it on the chin and learn from it.

You may not want to hear the argument that you shoul have read the speed signage but its extremely relevant. You should have known the speed limit.

The thief says to the guard, "You can't do me for breaking into two houses in one night, i wasnt informed and givin the chance to alter my behaviour after the first house"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

You were caught speeding last august and you only got the tickets this week? I thought you get the tickets within a month of the offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I know the speed trap on the Nass road....it in itself is criminal. Wide straight road with a good surface, and a 60 KPH limit....its like shooting ducks in a barrel. Cops always there especially after McDonald's on the red cow side.

I feel your pain OP...the lag between issuing tickets and the offense is unacceptable, as you say if you speed the same way to work for 6 days you could loose your license.

If only there was some way to know that a speed trap was ahead.....hummmm;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

hold on, only seen that the speeding occurred last August, in that case you might well have a goo chance of getting off these just due to the length of time. Not sure if there is a certain time they have to send them out but 10 months is a bit stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was told that if a summons is not issued within 6 months of the offence the whole thing is squashed. :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was told that if a summons is not issued within 6 months of the offence the whole thing is squashed. :)
    I recall hearing that also but I also recall hearing that there is nothing in the law regarding this. Maybe someone can comfirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I feel your pain OP...the lag between issuing tickets and the offense is unacceptable, as you say if you speed the same way to work for 6 days you could loose your license.

I agree, they should be almost instantly issued, and sent by registered post within a day or two of the offence imo.

Not exactly difficult with the technology out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He says he got them 2 months later, I assume August should read April.

I know the speed trap on the Nass road....it in itself is criminal. Wide straight road with a good surface, and a 60 KPH limit....its like shooting ducks in a barrel. Cops always there especially after )

It really isnt criminal. Both sides of the Naas Rd have pedestrian crossings on them. Over the years I have seen loads of people sailing through the red lights (and I dont use the road that often) at the pedestrian crossings either just not caring or while not seeingthe lights. Theres been a fair few acidents aswell.

The low speed limits are justified and there is/was buildign work going on.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If thats the case then both are completely valid - the OP can expect 2 * 2 points unless they are contested unsuccessfully in court. However, you could check to see that the special speed limit was legally valid at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robg123

Yeah sorry August should have read April!

Looks from the replies like I'll just have to accept it - kinda annoying though as I am generally a very conscientious road user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Speed limit signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

;) ........and perhaps opens a garage as well :p

Speed limit signs?

How would they let you know a speed trap was ahead:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

SSSSSSSSSSH He's quite passionate about keeping under the PSL at all times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The general idea is to catch & punish people who deliberately break the law. Just observe the speed limit and you won't need to worry about speed cameras.

Keeping people guessing is also a good tactic.
    (From RTE radio) - Police in western Canada are deploying life-size cardboard replicas of traffic cops pointing a radar gun at oncoming traffic in an effort to reduce speeding and road fatalities.

The mock-ups are so realistic that while being tested on a Vancouver street this week, a tow truck driver pulled up and started talking to one, the police said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Hi,

Cheers

Have you any relations in the uk? If so, get one of them to claim they were driving. There should be somewhere on the tickets you received in the post where you can nominate who was driving the car at the time.

The general idea is to catch & punish people who deliberately break the law. Just observe the speed limit and you won't need to worry about speed cameras.

Of course why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:. As for the cardboard cops thats a good idea. I have no problem with correct limits on dangerous roads. And I object to some of the limits on poor country roads they are crazy high. However that particular stretch of the Naas road is perfectly safer for 80-100 kph. If pedestrians need to cross 6 lanes of traffic and a Luas line, I think the resources would be better spent on a foot bridge.

It is lazy policing....setting up camp where you are going to catch the maximum number of people in the shortest time. Dont bother to to catch undertakers on motorways or land hoggers. Dont bother policing accident blackspots on B roads. Dont bother sitting outside pub car parks catching the people who are so obviously drink driving. No instead set up on a straight bit of Dublin road where the speed limit has recently been set stupidly slow and catch people 10-20 Kph over the limit. I recently find myself watching my speedo more than the road I am so paranoid about getting points. When the private cameras come in here all hell will break loose.

Just my humble opinion.More cops on the road catching dangerous driving and the mentalers on the road & less in vans with guns generating revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Keeping people guessing is also a good tactic.

Don't know when you took that from the radio...but the Gardai here have already done that.

Here's a link to it if you wanna pay to read about it!:p

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    Have you any relations in the uk? If so, get one of them to claim they were driving. There should be somewhere on the tickets you received in the post where you can nominate who was driving the car at the time.
    They'd prob have to prove they were in the country so don't think that's work!

• Advertisement

no, they don't have to prove they were in the country.

you put their info on the ticket and send it back to the dept. where they issue the ticket to the "correct" :rolleyes: person!

Well that's a bit ****ed up if it's the case!

Will they check that the person named was insured to drive....cause the penalty could be worst for letting an uninsured driver drive your car...I dont know?

well look at it from this point of view...

if you had loaned your car to a relative from across the water, and they did speed, and you did receive the notice in the post after they'd gone home...

you'd expect the system, to notify the gardai of the error, to be an efficient and simple operation...

Will they check that the person named was insured to drive....cause the penalty could be worst for letting an uninsured driver drive your car...I dont know?

if they check (which they can't) what will they find?

an uninsured motorist? well that's the uninsured motorists problem, not your's...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

if they check (which they can't) what will they find?

an uninsured motorist? well that's the uninsured motorists problem, not your's...

rubbish ...it is most definetly your problem who you loan your car to and to make sure that they have a valid licence and insurance.

No more hints at how to cheat the system, please

what is the charge for allowing someone (uninsured) to drive your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

A legal piece from an Irish company , "speed nanny". no good for random checks only the fixed cameras. pain is felt from all us drivers.nothing to do with road safety just a money making scam.

what is the charge for allowing someone (uninsured) to drive your car?
    Can be dis-qualified I think depending on the circumstances!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Can be dis-qualified I think depending on the circumstances!

Riiiight! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement