Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRacing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

keep in mind that "private league" support wont be happening for a while, r at least thats how I interpet it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Was hoping to hear/receive something before now....
    Anyone heard any possible dates on the grapevine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

To quote one of the beta testers: "the release date has been changed as of today from "soon" to "very soon".

Whether very soon is today or a week from now is anyones guess :P

I know many are anxious for the private leagues to be implemented as soon as possible, but I don't see their absence as being altogether a bad thing. It will give people time to aclimatise themselves to iRacing and work on their safety ratings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Members section of iRacing is believed to state the following,wont be long now i feel :)

"Welcome, new iRacing.com members! We have officially crossed the threshold to launch, and we're very excited to have you with us. Some of you have been waiting for this day for quite a while - we certainly were, too................................................. .".

Ok well i got a fair bit of racing done over the weekend. I like iRacing, the physics are great, netcode is excellent and the graphics when up full whack are amazing. However, there are some bad points. 1st of all, what the hell is with the breaks!? It just locks up every time you go anyway hard on them... I don't really like the "structured" way the pick-up races work... i much prefer the way RACE/LFS and other work... Also the fact that i can't join a room/server that is the same as one that a friend is in also annoys me a bit.
    Once you've looked beyond all that it is still a nice sim. Physics wise it's the best (if you leave aside the brakes). I love the Legend and the Star Mazda. I can see myself playing this for a long time, and even longer if they had a more casual "pickup race" option.

• Advertisement

nikimere wrote: »
    Ok well i got a fair bit of racing done over the weekend. I like iRacing, the physics are great, netcode is excellent and the graphics when up full whack are amazing. However, there are some bad points. 1st of all, what the hell is with the breaks!? It just locks up every time you go anyway hard on them... I don't really like the "structured" way the pick-up races work... i much prefer the way RACE/LFS and other work... Also the fact that i can't join a room/server that is the same as one that a friend is in also annoys me a bit.
    Once you've looked beyond all that it is still a nice sim. Physics wise it's the best (if you leave aside the brakes). I love the Legend and the Star Mazda. I can see myself playing this for a long time, and even longer if they had a more casual "pickup race" option.

Thats funny, I thought the brakes were really good and I'm an aweful man for locking up wheels! You might like this: http://www.nixim.com/pedmod.html

I think the sound of the tyres give a really good idea of when they are near the limit. You really have to focus, you cant just cruise around. I love the physics, really immersive and "connected". The cars, even in the replays have real inertia and looks very authentic.

Blue flags would be nice, but thats only a matter of time. Pickup racing would be nice, although if you are signed up for two or more series, it looks like you can pickup a race every hour. Not quite as good as LFS, but not to shabby.

Overall impressed (and addicted) so far, and the fact that I can compare my times with some NASCAR drivers, and subsequently get really pi$$ed off is great. I'm about .2s off Dale Jr at Lanier in the Legend rookie car, been working my a$$ of to get closer. He's around the 15.8's.

I hate the Solstice, its horrid, but a challenge nonetheless. Very frustrating at times, reminds me of playing GPL all over, except its pathetically slow!

I feel the brakes are spot on,did you try recalibrating inside the sim?

Id be happy if there were more frequent races but then again its not released officially yet.
    They say there will be more frequent races once its fully up and running.
    I also spoke to some iracing crew guy in the pre race chat lobby [well so he said] and they may be planning pick up non ranked races.
    If so that would be awesome.
    I cant get enough of the Skippy at the moment,i bought a few more tracks too.
    I cant decide on my next car,either the mazda or the late model.

Im totally addicted,once theres more frequent races ill be even more so :)

Oh forgot to ask,what are your racing names guys?
    Id like to see how much slower than you lads i am :)
    My iracing name is Damien Culleton

Currently down to 1:18.892 in the skippy for the currenst session in VIR south.
    Ive seen some guys do 1:16s

Nah i haven't tried messing with the brake calibration. I don't feel i should have to... However, i will give it a go and hope it helps.
    I'm comparing the brakes to a real Legend and i do realise i can hear them locking etc.... It's easy not to lock the brakes, i'm just saying how easy it is to lock the brakes compared to a real racing car... Only a small gripe, couldn't find much else to fault the game on! :p

nikimere wrote: »
    Nah i haven't tried messing with the brake calibration. I don't feel i should have to... However, i will give it a go and hope it helps.
    I'm comparing the brakes to a real Legend and i do realise i can hear them locking etc.... It's easy not to lock the brakes, i'm just saying how easy it is to lock the brakes compared to a real racing car... Only a small gripe, couldn't find much else to fault the game on! :p

The more I think about it, I get what you are saying. It does lock very early in the pedal travel, I can remember having that issue at first too.

What pedals are you guys using?

• Advertisement

I'm using standard DFP

G25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I just got my invite!!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

G25 will be on the go this very evening!!:D

Congrats Ian,add your name in the iracing members forum to the thread Ireland rol call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Got mine too, and i added my name to the roll call :)

Ok well i'm probably going to get shot here... but what the heck...
    I've cancelled my iRacing subscription.
    I found this sim very hard to "get into", just seemed to lack personality, if you know what i mean. It's really annoying the fact you can't choose who you want to race against and when you want to race. The physics are great, the graphics are great, the cars are great and the tracks are great. But, for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me as much as LFS.
    To be honest i'd given up on both iRacing and LFS, but lastnight i went on LFS for a couple of hours and i still love it! I dont really like the constant seriousness of iRacing, it's good to have a bit of a hard race every now and then, by hard i mean a little wheel and door banging. It is possible to race like that without being dirty, but iRacing punishes you for every bit of contact.
    Maybe in a few months i'll renew my subscription for another month and see how it goes, but right now, it's still LFS for me. I'm not an LFS fanboy, it does lack in a lot of departments, but there is just something about it that keeps drawing me back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 c0rn

nikimere, I did the same thing.

Though I haven't really been into racing sims for that long but I just could not get into iRacing, just wasn't me.

I am no fanboy of any sim (yet), but I have to say that LFS is damn fun.. just love the FBM.

Would there be any interest in a league for Irish players?

Ill start a new thread and check.

For sure, theres a lot to be said for just being able to jump online with LFS and have a decent dice with someone, or at least a nicestorm through from the back of the grid :D

I think I echo the sentiment, iRacing is a bit overly-serious. I guess time will tell if that changes as its model develops.

I cant get enough of it to be honest.
    Nothing comes close in terms of physics,driving feel and force feedback.
    LFS is great but like all other sims is light years behind iracing while actually racing out on the track.
    To me thats the meat of any sim and iracing does it far better than anything else.
    Remember iracing is not officially released yet,they still have lots to add.
    Ive gladly signed up for a year,yes its expensive if your going to run all series but i see it as a hobby and money well spent.

I do however see your points of the always serious races because of safety rating but its only there for good reason,thats to weed out the careless racers so overall is a massive plus.

I would love to see fun races schedueled every day which are unranked where racers can just go out and enjoy the best sim on the planet without worrying about ratings.

I fail to see this "seriousness" that is being spoken of. IT seems that the safety rating has been very misrepresented. It only tends to be an issue starting out, and was implemented to encourage racing that is as clean as possible. You can still race hard and have the odd knock. Light taps don't even count as incidents, and even hard knocks won't affect your Safety Rating as long as you don't do i too often.

I was in a race today where i hit a guy hard under braking for 4 incident points, and spun into a wall avoiding someone else crashing in front of me for 3 points, but because the rest of my race was incident free, my safety rating still went up. I'm still nowhere near as consistent a driver as I'd like to be, but now when I spin, I don't so much worry about my safety rating as I do my iRating.

I can understand the price is a bit steep for some people which is fair enough only they can decide for themselves what is value for money. I think it is the sense of community that is most lacking (I believe this is what nikimere means by the "personality"), but that is because it is a young sim. If the likes of LFS was released today and all of the current members joined at once, it would be the exact same. Community builds up over time.

• Advertisement

Agreed but SR is a bit harsh when your grade D racing C class i feel.
    Apart from that im loving iracing and totally hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Just got my invitation today :pac:

Hope you enjoy it as much as most of the rest of us have been :) Don't forget to add your name to the roll call on the West Europe discussion forum.

Advertisement