Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrosion on pick up pins of Garmin Zumo 550 satnav mount

• 08-06-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have this usit about 6 months and the brass pins are developing a form of Alzheimer’s disease, i.e a green corrosive mould around the pins. This is a very bad design particularly if its supposed to be designed for a motorbike and out door use. We may have acid rain in this country but it cannot be this bad. :eek:

Anyone else using the Zumo having the same problem with this mount? BTW this is my second Zumo mount, the previous one went back to the manufacturers under warrenty with the same problem after one of the pins siezed up and broke.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I have this usit about 6 months and the brass pins are developing a form of Alzheimer’s disease, i.e a green corrosive mould around the pins. This is a very bad design particularly if its supposed to be designed for a motorbike and out door use. We may have acid rain in this country but it cannot be this bad. :eek:

Anyone else using the Zumo having the same problem with this mount? BTW this is my second Zumo mount, the previous one went back to the manufacturers under warrenty with the same problem after one of the pins siezed up and broke.

I'm guessing they are copper pins and not brass due to the green colour of the corrosion. It looks like the pins are not protected from the water/moisture like they should.

After you have been out in the rain, give the contacts a clean and dry them as much as possible. Check for any damage to the unit or the mount that is prevent the contacts from being sealed whilst in use.

I don't have this model myself, so I can't really give any more advice. I've had a Garmin Quest I for years now and it's in perfect condition, even the contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I'm guessing they are copper pins and not brass due to the green colour of the corrosion. It looks like the pins are not protected from the water/moisture like they should.
    No they are brass, I intend keeping this unit until August and then replacing it again under warranty for another new one. The mount is about e120 which is not cheap; it’s also a pain in the ass to be removing it on and off the bike.

I take it off if I am not using the bike for a while. Hopefully they will come up with a better design, the supplier I got it off has gone through a few of them himself and admitts its a poor design, its no skin oiff his teeth if I bring it back for an exchange again.

Advertisement