Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Crap Speeds lately, anyone else?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

In the last week I've noticed my speeds deteriorating. Changed and rebooted routers etc, no difference.
    I'm on the Rathmines exchange with an alleged 3meg connection, and I'm wondering is anyone else suffering similarly, or have some of my contentious neighbours developed some nasty habits and interests

281439435.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Thanks Greg. It's good to know that they are onto the problem and are dealing with it. I expect it will be all sorted by tomorrow, and a refund shouldn't take too much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Who says that they are dealing with it? Bad here for the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I just rang them and was told he hadn't heard of anyone else having an issue today, bit strange considering I rang a few hours earlier. I was then told to ring back tomorrow :rolleyes:

I'm suppose to have a 3MB connection, this is what I'm getting:

281466769.png

btbbbv4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Valentia wrote: »
    Who says that they are dealing with it? Bad here for the last week.

Tongue, cheek etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

refund

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Bad here as well, speeds are ok with a multi threaded download manager, but packet loss all over the place.

speeds are ok with a multi threaded download manager, but packet loss all over the place.

Same here. Full speeds can be got on multi connections so it's not the line or the exchange.

Same here. Full speeds can be got on multi connections so it's not the line or the exchange.
    So what is the problem then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I'm getting terrible speeds myself as well. Hope this is resolved as its really doing my head in.

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    So what is the problem then ?

I'm not too technical but when this happened before with UTV a few years ago it turned out that they had to increase their own bandwidth or pipe or something. I don't think it could be contention. It's too consistent 24/7 for that.

I'm not too technical but when this happened before with UTV a few years ago it turned out that they had to increase their own bandwidth or pipe or something. I don't think it could be contention. It's too consistent 24/7 for that.
    Thanks, well now for the minute I'm back to normal, so god only knows what is going on :confused:

281541986.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Very slow here in Dublin 15 this evening. :(

I'm on a 3mb line and this is what i get...

281546340.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Anyone elses internet cutting out as well? Mine has failed on me twice in the last hour or so. I really wish we could get an explanation for this. Infact, I'm going to ring BT first thing tomorrow morning and persist for an answer to this.

I don't mind the fact this is happening as I understand all ISPs have their problems every now and then and in fairness to BT they have been quite reliable throughout the 3 years that I have been with them, but the fact is countless people have rang them and have been turned away with no reasoning whatsoever shed on this matter.

I spoke too soon, 3MB back down again:

281569530.png

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

I've found over the last couple of weeks that if I'm assigned an ip address beginning with 78 that I get the slower speeds.

Usually disconnecting and reconnecting a couple of times until I get some other ip range does the trick. Fairly annoying though.

This is BT 3mb in Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

kmurph wrote: »
    I've found over the last couple of weeks that if I'm assigned an ip address beginning with 78 that I get the slower speeds.

Usually disconnecting and reconnecting a couple of times until I get some other ip range does the trick. Fairly annoying though.

This is BT 3mb in Wexford town.

Hello

I think it will be a good idea to give them a ring.

Be prepared to run some tests.. They will probably ask things such as:

Your IP Address
    Your username
    A tracert (to determine your BAS and route)
    Your Location
    among other things

I know that most people think that calling them wont make a difference but it will. The more people calling the faster the problem will be solved.

Its important to call when you are experiencing the problem if you can't, gather as much information as possible, right it down and then, for example, email it.

For bitstream customer's it has an easy "temporary" solution (restart the router and get a different BAS) but for LLU2 is not that simple.

So although is very tempting to restart the connection it will be very good if you hold on while you are experiencing the issue and ring them (specially on the morning and afternoon as the qs are not very high).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wonder did anyone at BT factor in all those new 8Mb connections to their backhaul requirements? It could be that they're simply running out of bandwidth and haven't caught up yet. 500 8Mb users would be equivalent to 4000 1Mb users, and anyone who opts for an 8Mb connection will more than likely be using it to it's fullest extent.

Definitely report any issue you're having though, as if nobody reports it, then they certainly won't do anything about it. Put it in writing too if you can, always good to have a paper (or email) trail to backup what you've said. Include many speedtest results, from various times of the day, over several days.

jor el wrote: »
    I wonder did anyone at BT factor in all those new 8Mb connections to their backhaul requirements? It could be that they're simply running out of bandwidth and haven't caught up yet. 500 8Mb users would be equivalent to 4000 1Mb users, and anyone who opts for an 8Mb connection will more than likely be using it to it's fullest extent.

Definitely report any issue you're having though, as if nobody reports it, then they certainly won't do anything about it. Put it in writing too if you can, always good to have a paper (or email) trail to backup what you've said. Include many speedtest results, from various times of the day, over several days.

Its not a problem with congestion at the exchange, as amount of customer's per exchange is very small, I dont think it reaches 10%. The problem must be happening further up.

I have been told that they have, apparently, made some changes on the Blanchardstown Exchange today (only LLU2). I dont know if anyone here is on that exchange, it will be handy if they could test it.

And you are right, the more information you can provide Tech Support the better.

Had my line checked this morning and all was fine, went through all the checks at my end and that came up fine too, when I asked as to what the problem was yesterday all I got was "it must of been a glitch or maybe something in your cookies" :rolleyes:

Anyone else get onto them this morning and what were you told ?

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Had my line checked this morning and all was fine, went through all the checks at my end and that came up fine too, when I asked as to what the problem was yesterday all I got was "it must of been a glitch or maybe something in your cookies" :rolleyes:

Anyone else get onto them this morning and what were you told ?

Hello hellboy

The problem might still be there.

Let's say that the problem happens, for example, when you connect through a particular route. As long as you are not connected to that route you are fine but as soon as you are then speeds are bad again.

Therefore, it might look as if it is ok now but it might just be because you are, for example, on a BRAS or VLAN that is not affected.

My suggestion is, write down a few tracerts and save them on your computer for "posterity". If the problem happens again, run a new tracert and check the hops.

Just in case people dont know how to save a tracert type the following from the command prompt:

tracert bbc.co.uk >C:\temp\tracert09062008_1.txt

Make sure you create a temp folder first. Save the file on a familiar format like

tracert(date)_1.txt

That will help you and them when the problem appears again...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Hmm, I thought it was just me. I have been chasing cables around the house, testing with multiple routers etc.

Similar to the above. 2MB line, download falls flat on its face. Upload always looks healthy and normal.

Thanks for the tip Bohrio :)

Advertisement