Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Battery???

Options
  • 08-06-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there,,, Can anyone tell me what size battery you would need for a Nissan Terrano?? does it have to be big AMP?? any advice please.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Look in the owners handbook or just head to the nearest motor factors, they'll sell you the right one.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

As far as i,m aware and i tinker around in older cars, that it doesn't make much difference as to what amp you pick,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Hi there,,, Can anyone tell me what size battery you would need for a Nissan Terrano?? does it have to be big AMP?? any advice please.:rolleyes:

big amp = amp/hours how long a battery will give out 1 amp

dont know the terrano but i reckon any thing in the region of 85-100 amp/H would be sufficeint

make sure the battery is the correct size for tray & restaining holders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Energizer AAA if u drive a Smart :p

(PS I don't dislike Smarts, so I'm not bashing!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Most diesels and 4x4's require a high AMP value battery. Check your owners handbook if you have it, or ring a Nissan garage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Most diesels and 4x4's require a high AMP value battery. Check your owners handbook if you have it, or ring a Nissan garage.

Big amp ????????? surely you means amp/h?

amp (current) = watts divided by volts.

it isnt rocket science & as I stated earlier approx 90 amp/h should be sufficent

an 90 A/h current costs approx € 90

a 140 A/h costs €135
    unless you are going to leave the vechicle parked with lights or flashers on for long periods there is no advantage of wasting your money although some salesmen will try to tell you different.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Refer to the owner's handbook and get the biggest battery that you can afford and will fit in the tray. Never try to get away with a smaller battery unless you're selling the car.

Diesels have a very heavy current draw, don't foget that you start out by slapping a load of 50-75 amps on for the glow plugs and then, while that load is still on, lash on maybe another 250+ amps to start it. The high compression ratio makes for a serious draw. If you undersize the battery you can warp the plates under heavy load. Some of the lead will flake off and the problem will get worse every time you do this until eventually two of the plates will touch and you lose a cell - new battery required.

I speak from painful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

snowman707 wrote: »
    surely you means amp/h?
    It's Amp hours (Ah) not Amps per hour (A/h). Just like how rechargeable battery cells (AA/AAA etc.), laptop batteries etc. are measured in mAh (milliamp hours). Your explanation in your first reply was correct, it's just the slash suggests a division, which there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Terranno 2.0 petrol uses an "096" battery. Your motor factors should have one.
    Diesel uses a "250H" battery.

Was in Halfords recently to buy a new leisure battery for a caravan, all of the batteries for vehicles were rated in Amps, while the leisure batteries were rated in Amp Hours.

Anyway for the ops purpose the higher the output the better.

http://www.windpowerunlimited.com/batteries/Amp_Hours.htm

Assuming your Terrano is a 2.7 tdi, this is the battery recommended by Halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_264229_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId_13502_CarSelectorGroupId_120816_varient_120237_categoryId_120237_crumb__parentcategoryrn_120237

snowman707, please note Startup power is rated in amps, not amp hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

WHITE_P wrote: »

Anyway for the ops purpose the higher the output the better.

Would putting a higher ampage battery not be bad for the car, like over filling the oil?

Would putting a higher ampage battery not be bad for the car, like over filling the oil?

In a word No

Advertisement