Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with link to bios download.

Options
  • 08-06-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I have an nvidia nforce 650i Ultra mobo and cant find a link to the bios download page at all. All i am getting is results for other makes like albertron and msi. Could i use one of them instead of the one for my make?. Are they all compatible since they are all 650i ultras?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I have an nvidia nforce 650i Ultra mobo and cant find a link to the bios download page at all. All i am getting is results for other makes like albertron and msi. Could i use one of them instead of the one for my make?. Are they all compatible since they are all 650i ultras?

No, you need it from the manufacturer of the board, not the chipset maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

the manufacturer is XFX. I am having difficulty locating the bios still. Thanks for the healp spear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here I think this is your mobo, click Drivers and software on the left, enter your serial number or product code, Roberts your fathers brother :D

Yeah thats where i found it eventually. It is a strange enough way to update the bios. There is some utility in the post screen called awardbios and when i click alt f4 it goes into a seperate screen. Im wondering now how i go about doing this bios flash.

When i downloaded the new bios it only gave me one bin file???

Does that mean i just put that one file on the floppy and press alt f4 to go into this awardbios utility??

I really dont want to mess this up.

Should i format the floppy as a dos boot disk? Cause its only one bin file i have without anything else?

arse:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah thats where i found it eventually. It is a strange enough way to update the bios. There is some utility in the post screen called awardbios and when i click alt f4 it goes into a seperate screen. Im wondering now how i go about doing this bios flash.

When i downloaded the new bios it only gave me one bin file???

Does that mean i just put that one file on the floppy and press alt f4 to go into this awardbios utility??

I really dont want to mess this up.

Should i format the floppy as a dos boot disk? Cause its only one bin file i have without anything else?

arse:confused:

What you've described would normally work. The awardbios util should prompt for a location for the bin file so you only need to point it to the file on the floppy.

• Advertisement

You used have to use a floppy, put the bin file on a floppy and this utility would find it. This is the way i updated my bios for years, its also the safest mehod. You may be able to use a memory stick or usb key. Lately tho i've been using a windows utility to update mine. Do you not have a windows bios updater? Most motherboard disks have such a utility. Check the XFX website again under software.

i just downloaded software off the xfx site called ntune. I believe i can flash from windows using this software (and also back up my current one=). Been having a string of bad luck with comp parts and all sorts so better to be safe then sorry.

The only reason i am updating the bios is cause 1 out of 4 of my ram slots is working. None of the others seem to be. Thats a bit odd dont you think??

Hopefully with new bios it might fix the problem and i can get two sticks of ram going.

tnx 4 d help:)

i just downloaded software off the xfx site called ntune. I believe i can flash from windows using this software (and also back up my current one=). Been having a string of bad luck with comp parts and all sorts so better to be safe then sorry.

The only reason i am updating the bios is cause 1 out of 4 of my ram slots is working. None of the others seem to be. Thats a bit odd dont you think??

Hopefully with new bios it might fix the problem and i can get two sticks of ram going.

tnx 4 d help:)

nTune was replaced and renamed nVidia System Tools some time ago. I've never seen or heard of a BIOS flashing capacity in it, unless XFX have heavily altered theirs.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.01.html

Well i went into the award bios utility and it started to search the floopy but it said source file was not found. I burned the iso image version of the bios onto cd and tried that but instead of saying "source file not found" it just kept flashing "please wait". basically it stays like that. Im guessing it cannot read the file or something.

Maybe i should format the floppy as a boot disk and delet everything except the bios bin file? as in delete all the boot files etc.

any ideas?

I will try the ntune thing if all else fails. I believe it is safer to do it in the post screen anyway.

Award would have their own Windows flashing utility, like Winflash etc, Google is your friend.

• Advertisement

yeah i downloaded a winflash utility now so im gona try and bang it on from windows. I have an aura of murphys law around me this week. lets just hope i dont make a mess of this one.

As for google i never actually find what i am looking for. strange.

The weird thing is that there was actually loads of people looking for bios updates for this board and couldnt find them anywhere.

Where i was looking on their site was in the support area but they were actually in the product despcription area. Wil remember to look there in future.

Thanks kiss my ass:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

just my experience....please be very careful before you update the bios...burnt my mobo last time...

This is so frustrating.:mad:

I have tried all sorts of ways to flash this bios i downloaded off the xfx site.
    I cant even get far enough to mess up the current bios with all my attempts.

I have tried using both floppy and cd rom but it seems that the file is not compatible or something with the system.

an error message comes up when in the award flash utility saying;

the program file's part number does not match with your system

???

And when i try using the bin file with winflash from windows it has an error of this file is not bios rom (something like that)...wot does this mean??]

I have downloaded the file 3 times and unzipped it properly. It is the right file also for my mobo. xfx 650i ultra

There is a point when i dos boot with an autoexec.bat and the force flash codes where i get into the award bios flash utility and it looks like its doing something with a flashing PLEASE WAIT! in the message box at the end. But its not....i had it like that for 3 hrs so it is just frozen.

My guess is when i try to force flash it still has trouble reading the bios file.

Could the file be a dodgey one on the site? It seems unlikely.

My other guess is that the version of award bios flash utility already on the mobo is fecked but I tried flashing using a bootable floppy with a different version of awardflash and still got the same sort of problem...so maybe it aint the problem.

My final guess is that the xfx mobo i have is not really the one on the site. I did order this off ebay now. It looks identical though and has all the functions and parts of the one on the site.

The reason i think this is because of the description of my board when in flash utility it says its an nforce 6A61IL01C-00 and the boards product code on the xfx site is MB-N650-iul9.

But maybe the code given in the flash utility is nothing to do with the product code.

aye aye aye:(

Advertisement