Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost racing Pigeons?

• 08-06-2008 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Now heres a mad one...

there are 2 pigeons at my back door all morning, pottering about, not a care in the world. They have tags on both legs with numbers and stuff. Im assuming they are racing pigeons or something to that effect cause they are in very good shape and not your normal run of the mill flying rats.

Now the bad bit, ive got a crazy cat who has a pain in his whole to get out and eat the poor pigeons!

Anyone know where i might find out if these are lost pigeons belonging to someone?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Put 'em in a cage with water and grain; check the numbers and you can contact the Irish Homing Pigeon Union

http://www.irishhomingunion.com/page3.htm

and find their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

we had one aswell, did exactly what luckat suggested (only used a box and not a cage). Owner came and collected it that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

thanks, any ideas how to catch the pigeon? have a pet carrier cage but how do i get it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was always led to believe that a lost pidgeon is a dud and that more than likely its owner will put it down if he gets hold of it again. Several reasons, it is a waste of food and it could possibly lead other pidgeons from the loft astray if it dose it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I take it the tags would never actually fall off the pigeon?

Reason I ask is because we've had a pigeon out the back garden all day and I figured it was injured or startled or something but seeing this thread made me think twice. Only thing is this pigeon has no tag.

It starts up occasionally and walks around picking at the grass. My dad left water out on a saucer for it but it wasn't interested.

Is there anything I can do help the pigeon? Leave out food or something? If so, what kind?

I'm kinda thinking I'm gonna end up with a dead pigeon on my hands here in a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I take it the tags would never actually fall off the pigeon?

Reason I ask is because we've had a pigeon out the back garden all day and I figured it was injured or startled or something but seeing this thread made me think twice. Only thing is this pigeon has no tag.

It starts up occasionally and walks around picking at the grass. My dad left water out on a saucer for it but it wasn't interested.

Is there anything I can do help the pigeon? Leave out food or something? If so, what kind?

I'm kinda thinking I'm gonna end up with a dead pigeon on my hands here in a day or two.
    That's dinner sorted;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

cheers everybody for the advice. I called a guy from the Irish homing union and he called over to collect said pigeon.
    He told me the bird was a racing pigeon from Scotland!!

For future reference, here is the website with the list of people to contact with missing pigeons, its divided up by county....http://www.irishhomingunion.com/page4.htm

Earthhorse - feed it nuts, cereal or grain, NOT bread. Bread makes them swell up and die!!!!

So thats another fine pigeon chasing Sunday coming to an end........!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 john mulroy

i am a pigeon from co louth i lost 90 pigeon training them if anybody come across them could you please get intouth with me ring number on the pigeon are from ihu12s22441 to ihu12s22500 or ihu12131001 to ihu12131060 <snip>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement