Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Technician

Options
  • 08-06-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

after leaving school @ 16 I have no Qualifications & after years of doing low(ish) paid & some mind numbing jobs I have decided that computers is one of the only things that I have an interest in, as it is a is an area that I have a good interest in (& a little self gained knowledge).

I would be interested in the hardware/networking areas & feel it is time that I finally got off my h*le & done something about it, I am considering doing this course http://cmit.ie/courses-it-computers-distance-learning/comptia_A+_it_technician.html

a few questions?

If anyone has done this course, or another course with CMIT, how did you get on?

What kind of Jobs would I be able to get on the back of this cert?

is it a good stepping stone to differing areas of IT?

any recommendations/comments for someone like myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

best to ask the qestion over at the it cert forum, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

thanks, I added a post to the existing thread over there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56177906#post56177906

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

the A+ is pretty basic stuff you might be better off just buying a book and self studying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

If you're in Dublin you might want to consider the Grad Dip in IT that DCU do...

It's full time (1 year) and part-time (2 years) and if you do well in it you can go on to do a part-time research M.Sc. in IT (1 year) so basically you could have a Masters in 2/3 years!

There's more info at http://www.computing.dcu.ie/prospective/postgraduate/gdmsc/index.html or PM me and I can help you further.

j

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He would need a degree to do that.

Have you thought about starting a degree part time or if it is an option a plc course or fas course full time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

No Moonbeam, you don't need a degree to do DCU's Grad Dip in IT -
    it's open to ICT professionals too - take a look at the webpage...

It is a conversion degree for people who are interested in getting into IT and have a non-computing degree already (I know as that's how I applied for it) but it's also got a "Profession Entry" option for people with a certain amount of IT experience.

It deals with things like OOP, Computer Architecture/Operating Systems, Software Engineering, Networks and Internets, E-Commerce, Database Design, User Interface Development - I found it very interesting and challenging (I studied English Literature in TCD).

It's another option for IT professionals who want to get a qualification and upskill on the way and is part-time too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sounds like a really good option for someone with industry experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

do any other colleges do a similar course on the south side, I wouldnt be able to make that course being in DCU. UCD would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Roy Batty

I don't think UCD or TCD have a similar part time course. I wish they did !

Griffith College Dublin have a part time Higher Diploma in Computing which looks good. By reputation it is a very well run college.

Advertisement