Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just browing through the Galway forum and spotted this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055064051

I'm just wondering if there's something similar in Sligo as it sounds like a great evening and something a little bit different. It beats being stuck in front of the box every night!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sounds good to me, the only caveat being that I work evenings so I probably couldn't go :(

(Unless we were to hold it on Thursday evening ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'd enjoy that!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Pity you work evenings Xiney, I used to do the same myself for a few years, I know the feeling!

Well I guess the best thing to do is just see if we can get enough people interested, and sit down and work out the time that suits everyone to meet. Spread the word guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

There is one in (dare I say it.....Co.Leitrim - Dromahair to be exact). I think they meet in the local pub too.

Eek! Dromahair! Was hoping there'd be something in Sligo town.

*Doesn't even really know where Dromahair is but it sounds faaar away*

• Advertisement

Eek! Dromahair! Was hoping there'd be something in Sligo town.

*Doesn't even really know where Dromahair is but it sounds faaar away*

It's only a 15 minute drive from Sligo. Ask at the library, I'm pretty sure they'd know where there was one.

I'd be up for one in town, but I can't make Dromahair, my passport is out of date. :p

LOL! Agreed! I might pop into the library during the week and see if there's anything in town, if not, who knows, we might get enough boardsies to start one of our own. Dunno how many people are based near the town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

That would be fun. :)

Let us know if you find anything in town Lemon of old and if not we can see about setting up one for boardsies in town. I don't have a car so it would need to be in town for me to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Hey lemon_of_old, thats a good idea!
    I'm def interested, and a town location would suit me

• Advertisement

So, if you were to have a book club, would you be able to put the title of the books you're reading here on the boards? I'd be interested to see what everyone's reading.
    I probably wouldn't be able to commit myself to reading a book in a "deadline". I have "The Curious Incident About A Dog" to read, which I've wanted to read for a long time. I just can't seem to find the motivation to read it.... I'm quite hopless that way :o

Mrs.T wrote: »
    So, if you were to have a book club, would you be able to put the title of the books you're reading here on the boards? I'd be interested to see what everyone's reading.
    I probably wouldn't be able to commit myself to reading a book in a "deadline". I have "The Curious Incident About A Dog" to read, which I've wanted to read for a long time. I just can't seem to find the motivation to read it.... I'm quite hopless that way :o

Its a great book Mrs T. :)

We could have a thread aswell, discussing the chosen book, which could be fun if any of us can't get to a meet. I read alot, but have the memory of a goldfish, so I would re-read if required. I LOVE books!

Oooh I'm looking forward to this, thanks Lemon!

I'm delighted so many people are interested in this, it's something I've always wanted to try, and like yourselves, I love reading but need the motivation to find the time sometimes.

Yeah definitely we could make it a combined group/thread club, and spur each other to get the book read when one of us is lagging behind!

I like the way the group in Galway did it, they took the list of books shortlisted for the Booker prize (I think??) and then decided to pick 3 books from the list to start from. After those 3 books were finished, each member took it in turn to suggest a book they thought would be a good choice. They gave themselves 2 weeks to read each book.

And it's a great idea to discuss the book on boards, maybe we could have a book club sticky? And each week have a good chat about the book, whether we can make it to the meeting or not?

Glad to see such interest! :)

Yeah I've got about 5 books going at the minute. It's on my list of things to do :rolleyes:

Still, if there was a thread, it would have to be in conjunction with an actual Sligo book club in real life. Otherwise it doesn't belong in the Sligo forum but in the literature forum, I'm afraid.

The Glasshouse might be a good venue, they have those circular booth things in the bar upstairs that would be good for a chat, and they are a little enclosed as well, which would help, I think.

Go Sligo Boardsies Book Club! :)

I'm itching to suggest a book...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

there are ''quick reads'' books some can be read on a 1hr journey etc theyre great for those who are in a rush or who d like to read but cant just bring themselves to- just an idea:confused:
    just ask at your local liberary for the ''quick reads'' section

N.B. be sure to ask as well for the large print books the selection usually isnt great but you can order a book from an other liberary in the county/country

A quick read would be great - maybe one of yeats' poems to get started? It is a Sligo book club after all :D

(And I hate to admit it but I've never read one of his poems in full...)

Xiney wrote: »
    A quick read would be great - maybe one of yeats' poems to get started? It is a Sligo book club after all :D

(And I hate to admit it but I've never read one of his poems in full...)

Oh please for the love of god no! :D I've never finished one of them either and I was born here :o

We studied Yeats when I was in school, and I quite liked it. I still remember some bits "What need you, being come to sense, but fumble in a greasy till". It's weird the things you remember from school :D

Not sure if I'd be up for reading a book of his poetry though, too many memories of a nun peering at me from under her glasses (and her habit).

Why don't we get the ball rolling and suggest some titles? We can make a list and each take a turn to choose one?

Btw, didn't get a chance to call into town to hit the library today, work went a bit haywire, but I should get a chance tomorrow.

Oh and about the venue, I've never been to the upstairs bar in the Glasshouse, but it sounds like it would suit us perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's a great idea. I do work for a film production company which is based in Dromahair. A book club would be a fantastic idea. I did a lot of writing courses in Dolly's cottage in Strandhill. Very worthwhile and a lot of fun. It is great to get the chance to work in that environment and be surrounded by like minded individuals. Brilliant.

• Advertisement

I'm suggesting it's held on the second and fourth Thursday night of every month starting on the 26th of June.

2 reasons:

1) that leaves peoples fridays free
    2) that gives us a couple of weeks to read a book, 3 weeks for the first one ;)
    3) that means I can go

That's cool with me, but 7.45 - 8pm is the earliest I can make it on Thursday - Thursday is surfing day! If others are ok with having it at that time, then I'll second it.

If poetry is a choice, then it not for me.

How about starting with a title from the Man Booker Prize list?
    http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/stories/1021

I'm not bothered what book, hopefully no chick-lit or biographies, other than that I don't mind.

I was told today that if we do organise a Sligo Boardsies Book Club, that we can contact the library and they will order in the amount of copies of the title we require. Cool!

Haha! Snap Mz Lemon!

Some great lists there.

Stick them all in a hat, and pick one.

mmmm Salman Rushdie

I love fatwa in the morning

DenMan wrote: »
    That's a great idea. I do work for a film production company which is based in Dromahair. A book club would be a fantastic idea. I did a lot of writing courses in Dolly's cottage in Strandhill. Very worthwhile and a lot of fun. It is great to get the chance to work in that environment and be surrounded by like minded individuals. Brilliant.

Where is the company based? We are also in Dromahair...... ssshhhh don't tell the rest ;).
    Going to check out the book lists too. I would like to join a book club in the future, I think it's a great idea to read books that you wouldn't normally read. Some of my favourite books have been found on the off chance.
    That's great that the library will get the books in for a book club too!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

a book club ... wow .. that would be a shocking idea - in the middle of summer. please get out and do something useful or worthwhile. sligo is a great place. maybe a sightseeing club or a walking club ... but a book club - dont do it.
    or at least take the discussion to another forum -

Sligored wrote: »
    a book club ... wow .. that would be a shocking idea - in the middle of summer. please get out and do something useful or worthwhile. sligo is a great place. maybe a sightseeing club or a walking club ... but a book club - dont do it.
    or at least take the discussion to another forum -

Sligored if either of the mod's thought this discussion deserved to be in another forum we would have moved it. It just so happens that we're both in favour of this idea.

If you don't like it, feel free to not visit this thread.

And no, we won't be taking this discussion to another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

maybe this is the wrong place to say this but my frustration with the fact that this is more like a chat room than a forum .. i will probably get an infraction for saying this but i am not surprised the last two mods left due to nonsense posting. and i know this because i am very friendly with basquille..
    this used to be a great opinions and facts forum but has degenerated badly in my opinion .. for what its worth.
    please mods try and get it back to where it was

Advertisement